Frosts of Coerva

Frosts of Coerva

A Story by ota
"

An old chief sends his last messenger off to find news of the lasting night, but he knows this mission is folly. A new power is rising as the end all.

"

            Chieftain Rakan sent out his last messenger without a single word of truth regarding his mission. He struggled to lie to his only child and has rarely done so for his entire life, but he knew there was no confession that he could give to prepare his best messenger. He has known for a long while why these nights have been growing longer and the snows grow stronger. This prophecy was etched into the mountain upon its rise.


Thousands of years ago, the once smooth planes of Korvund fractured and gave birth to a glorious massif that reaped much attention from the surrounding tribes. From this monumental event, the chieftains called a gathering to discuss the meaning behind what they were now calling Amatarund. They called on their druids, soothsayers, priests, and everything in between to decipher Amatarund’s arrival and after months of reflection, an answer had been reached. Amatarund was a god, or at the very least a vessel for one. There would be a joining of all religious branches into one to provide worship and care at its base and guardianship to its enigmas. Chieftains and druids would be the only ones able to interpret Amatarund’s words, to prevent panic in the future. If the truth ever escaped their lips, Korvund would break into pandemonium. So, these grand leaders have saved the way of life of every Northern tribesman for millennia, or that is how the legend has been passed for all these years.


Rakan was sure there must have been some other way to handle this. It has been thousands of years and no one has found a solution to the problem. Regardless, he knows there is no time left to think of blithe scenarios. The day is approaching and the long-feared prophecy will come to pass. The Six have died and Coerva is to be reborn inside of Amatarund. Once she has risen, she will bring an end to the tribes of Korvund and all life in the North. The longs nights were to be the light of the Six leaving this world and the unrelenting blizzards are Coerva’s mark. In a few weeks, there will be nothing left of Rakan’s beloved home and there is not a single god to pray to for his salvation. He could only hope that his son would make it to another territory and find his way through the apocalypse.

© 2017 ota


Author's Note

ota
Tell me what you think! If it sucks, tell me why. If it is great, tell me why you're lying. Thank you!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114

Stats

61 Views
Added on March 13, 2017
Last Updated on March 13, 2017
Tags: writing, short story, short stories, dahad

Author

ota
ota

Writing
The Hunt The Hunt

A Story by ota


Old Gods and Kings Old Gods and Kings

A Story by ota