Brylin - Prolouge

Brylin - Prolouge

A by otto_m

She twisted and turned yet again on her bed. Another restless night. She felt the blanket over her and she kicked it off.

"There’s been an accident" she remembered hearing from the phone. "Your family, they were in a car accident" the nurse said. Brylins breath grew ragged as she felt the memory yet again.

"Are they okay?" Brylin was having another out of body experience. She watched herself, grab the phone for life in hopes they were okay. She watched it as though she were another person watching her suffer. The woman said nothing. "Are any of them dead?" Brylin asked. Still no response then finally a sad sigh from the other end and Brylin prepared for the worst.

"Your daughter lived. She’s brain-dead right now" the woman said and Brylin saw the redhead lean forward crying into her knees. "You have to come to the hospital though" the woman said.

"So my husband, my brother, my sister and my parents are all dead" Brylin said. No response. She repeated the question into the phone screaming. She heard the woman breathing.

"I’m afraid so" she said. Brylin hung the phone up and raced towards the hospital. Doctors approached her.

"You must pull the plug on her. You’re letting her suffer if you don’t let her die, she will die from the pain your putting her through" the doctors said. She said nothing but ran to her daughter’s room. She held her daughters hands. She looked into her daughter’s emotionless face. She grabbed her shoulders and shook them desperately. "Wake up! Wake up!" she screamed. She was pulled off by officers. She was almost sent to jail but they let her go. After a month and a half, she agreed to pull the plug.

As Brylin opened her eyes to read the clock she saw it was two thirty in the morning. It was only three months since the accident. Her job refused to let her go and after her daughter’s death, she quit. She still received checks from them as a sign of pity.

She rolled over to look up towards the ceiling. She cried yet again and remembered the day of the accident.

"Come with us Brylin" her husband pleaded. He grabbed her hand and tried to pull her towards the door. She smiled at his touch.

"No really I don’t want to go. You all go right ahead without me. I will be fine" she said.

"Fine" he huffed smiling. He walked out towards the van where everyone was in. She watched as the van reversed out of the driveway. She waved as her beautiful daughter smiled at her.

"Bye mommy" her daughter called.

Brylin rolled over again sobbing. This was a routine for her and she cried every day. Her job sent a therapist to her house every Wednesday. Her alarm flashed a W in the corner. She cursed to herself as she realized it was Wednesday. She threw pillows at the wall. To her surprise her eyes began to close and she fell asleep.

She woke up to someone knocking on the door. She changed into a pair of sweats. She opened the door falling backwards as a memory of that horrible day came back to her. She shook her head and dried the tears. She opened the door.

"Hello Brylin" he said. She slammed the door in his face. A normal routine as a sign for him to leave and yet he always came back. She walked over to the couch and plopped down. He opened the door ~no surprise~ and he walked in. She groaned angry.

"How was your day" he asked. She said nothing but glared at him.

"Ahh... Still haven’t said anything since the accident" She hasn’t said a word to anyone since the accident. The only words she ever said were curses on Wednesday when she realized it was Wednesday.

She picked up a pad of paper off the coffee table that she used when he came over. Each page had a different phrase or word. This prevented her from talking.

"How are you feeling" she didn’t even attempt to use the pad of paper to express how she felt. She just stared at him.

"When’s the last time you had sleep" she still said nothing.

"When’s the last time you left the house" he asked. She flipped through the papers and showed him a page with the words 'the funerals' on it. He sighed.

"Well at least you’re responsive" She flipped to a page with the word 'leave' on it. "You know I can’t do that" he chuckled. He cleared his throat as she still stared at him.

"Do you ever think of the accident" he asked. She flipped to a page with the word 'everyday' scribbled on it.

"How often do you think of death" he asked. 'Everyday' was the word she showed him.

"How about your death" he asked. This surprised Brylin. She got out a pen and wrote 'Suicide' on it. He nodded as she showed him. She flipped back to the page with 'everyday' on it. He handed her a prescription pill case. "Its anti-depression pills" he said. She looked at him.

On a new sheet of paper she wrote 'do you want something to drink' he nodded and asked for water. She grabbed a cup and filled it with water. Right as she was about to hand it to him she opened the pill case and dumped the entire thing of pills down it. She shoved it in his face. "I see" she showed him the page with 'Leave' on it. He sighed and got up.

"If you ever want to talk... or share pads of paper let me know" he said and she grew angry at that comment. As he began to walk off she threw the glass cup at his head. She barely missed as he ducked. She saw the shatter of glass and remembered when she was told that the windshield of the van exploded in the accident. She bent over and touched the glass and cried. For once the therapist was silent because for once he understood her. She tried to put the glass back together to pretend like this never happened but he stopped her.

"You don’t have to. Some things you can’t fix" he said. For the first time in all the visits he heard her speak.

"I have to fix this. I have to. Let go of me. Let me fix this. I can fix this" she said and he let go of her shoulders. He looked down and watched as paranoia took over her. He knew she was trying to fix things but as more and more visits to her went by he knew she was dying inside. She no longer cared anymore about what happened and it didn’t take a man like him with a degree from college to see that. He knew he had lost this patient because in her daughter’s death she lost herself. So as he walked to his car he realized the next time he’d probably see her was at her funeral.

Brylin looked up as she heard the sound of a car drive away. She cried even more and knew he’d given up on her. That was fine with her because she had given up on herself. She looked at the glass and went upstairs for one last time.

© 2009 otto_m


My Review

Would you like to review this ?
Login | Register




Reviews

So- the plot is intriguing, I think. A woman's whole family dying, her trying to build a life again (or not). There are a lot of grammatical errors, though, which sometimes make the read a little confusing. And if this is just the prologue to following chapters, I think it goes too quickly. There should be less things happening, and more description. Also, if she really is so crazy to think about suicide every day and throw a glass at the psychologist's head, then in the real world she'd probably wouldn't have been allowed to live by herself.

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

103 Views
1 Review
Added on April 14, 2009

Author

otto_m
otto_m

Writersblockville



About
Hey its me more..