All for Him

All for Him

A Story by pagen_godess
"

This is a FullMetal Alchemist fanfic I wrote sometime last year. Please excuse the spelling and grammar mistakes.

"

 

Silence filled the halls of Centrals hospital. Most of the doctors and nurses having finished their rounds for the time being. Ed sighed as he walked down the empty hallway toward the stars. His steps were silent not even his automail leg made any noise on this night. Not that it would have mattered to him because nothing short of a military officer would be able to stop him tonight.

 

For nothing really mattered to him anymore. Not the ache in his muscles, the large and still painful hole in his side, or the fact that someone would catch him and he would be stopped. Pale golden eyes roamed the halls as he stepped closer to the door leading to the stairs and what they offered. Though they offered something different on this night a different type of freedom. Because nothing mattered anymore and nothing would matter ever again.

 

No not after the events that had happened a week ago that seemed to have happened just hours ago in his mind that night. Silence greeted Ed as he opened the door to the stairs. Ed didn’t even flinch as his flesh foot toughed the cool metal and he started walking.

--

Roy Mustang sighed as he sat at his desk going over the reports he had received that day. Though he had to admit at least to himself that his mind was far away from work. And it was of course once thanks again to one Edward Elric the Fullmetal Alchemist. Though for once it had nothing to do with some sort of life changing screw up for other people not him of course. The only thing he ever got from a report from Edward was a days worth of grief because he had to go through and hide some of the kid’s blunders. Not that he didn’t like the boy because he did.

 

Contrary to popular belief he and Fullmetal enjoyed their little squabbles. Annoying the piss out of each other amused both of them to no end. Of course nothing short of the worst death possible would make him admit it. That was of course just the way things were between them. Roy sighed as he stood up and straightened his uniform jacket.

 

“Damn it Fullmetal even when you’re not working I can’t get my mind off of you.” Mustang growled deep in this throat as he slammed his office door and started toward the hospital.

--

“I’m sorry.”

 

“I’m sorry”

 

“I’m sorry Al.”

 

No matter how many times he apologized it didn’t matter because Al couldn’t hear him anymore and Ed would never hear ‘It’s okay.’ from the person he needed to hear it from. He’d never hear his little brother again. All because he was gone. The little brother he loved so much, would do anything for, and die for if need be was gone. Never again would he hear him. No matter how many times he apologized it wouldn’t matter because Al wouldn’t be there to stop him. Ed smiled a sad and bitter smile one that would never show the happiness he had once felt not so long ago. The sound of Ed’s footsteps on the stars were the only noise and yet he didn’t seem to hear them at all.

 

No his mind was far away in the past with the little brother he loved so much. But if he had loved Al so much then why had he let it happen. Why had Kimbley been able to take him away. Ed stopped dead in his tracks and looked around him. Ed clutched at his shirt panic overtaking him for a moment before he forced himself to calm down and focus on the task at hand. For half a second he had thought he had her his little brother behind him. The cry of ‘Wait for me Brother.’ had seemed to fill his ears. Ed shook his head and continued to climb he had to reach his destination before someone came looking.

 

“Wait for me little brother. And please forgive me for making you wait so long.”

 

Hurry up Ed! What’s taking you so long?’

 

“I’m sorry Al.”

 

“I’m sorry.”

--

Had anyone bothered to look out their window they would have seen a very interesting sight. Mainly because it wasn’t everyday you saw the great Flame Alchemist walking down the street in the wind and rain in the middle of winter. Mustang growled for probably the hundredth time since he left his office.

 

“I swear if Fullmetal’s awake I goanna snack him.” Not that the boy needed it but it’d make him feel better at least a little, maybe. Hell not even he knew what to do anymore hitting Ed just sounded right in his mind at that moment. He had to admit though that he was worried.

 

He hadn’t been able to see the boy yet because he’d been so busy and when he hadn’t been working he’d been asleep at his desk. Though he had herd Havoc and the others talking about Ed and the way they talked scared him a bit. Then again the boy had had a metal pole through his side what more could he really expect. He had herd Fury say that when he had took Black Hayate with him to see Edward the boy had smiled and scratch the dog’s head a bit before he had fallen back asleep. Ed apparently was either so weak at the moment or so high on painkillers that he couldn’t stay awake long.

 

Mustang shook his head to clear it. He had hoped that the rain might do that for him but he had been wrong. The only difference that shaking his head had made was who he was thinking about. Now instead of Ed his thoughts were on Al. The poor boy’s soul had finally been forced from the armor and Ed had been to far away and in to severe a condition to reattach it. He was gone and would never come back and it made him sad.

 

He had liked the boy very much and it was hard to imagine Edward without his armor clad brother trailing behind him telling him to slow down or calm down in most cases. Mustang sighed as he crossed another empty road the hospital coming into view. All this thinking was making him feel like the boys father. Then again a woman on a train had once called Ed his son and he could only suppose that in a way the boy was. A cold fear gripped his heart as a cold wind whipped past his face. The sound of footsteps filled the empty street s Mustang started running.

--

Ed panted as he leaned against the stairwell railing the walk was taking longer than he had expected and he had little energy to begin with. He wouldn’t complain though because his little brother needed him and was waiting. That and it was only a little farther so Al wouldn’t be to mad if he rested for a moment he’d understand. Besides nothing but Al mattered anymore.

 

Not the philosophers stone and not getting his arm and leg back. Without Al it was all meaningless. Ed took a deep breath as he started up the stars again his progress was slow and would have been painful had it not been for the five or six different painkillers he was on. Ed looked up and smiled only three floors left.

 

“I’ll be there soon Al just wait a little longer.”

 

It’s okay brother take your time I can wait.”

--

Roy’s footsteps fill the empty hallways. Where the hell were the doctors and nurses when you needed them. The only person that seemed to even be awake had been the annoying girl at the front desk. Though he had been ready to curse when she didn’t want to tell him where Ed’s room was. It had taken a minute for her to find the floor and number but after she had Roy had took of toward the stairway at full speed. Mustang panted as he turned a corner and saw the door to Ed’s room.

 

Not caring if he was asleep Mustang threw open the door and looked around. The room was empty and the bed was made. The only sign that showed anyone bed been there was Ed’s cloths, boots, and three words written on the misty window by the bed. ‘All for him.’ Fear gripped Roy’s heart as he turned around and ran back toward the stairs. He had to stop him before it was to late.

--

Edward sighed in relief as he opened the door to the hospitals roof. He had made it finally. Now he only had a few more steps left. Ed smiled as he walked toward the railing that ran around the rooftop. His hands and feet as steady as if they’d never known pain he climbed onto the railing, took a deep breath, and spread out his arms.

--

Mustangs breath came out in huffs as he reached the top of the stars his hand grasping wildly for the door knob. What seemed to be hours in his mind was only seconds in reality before his hand gripped the door knob and he threw it open.

 

”FULLMETAL!” Edward turned and looked at the man who had been his commanding officer four the past four years and gave him a smile. A real smile that seemed to say

 

“Thank you for everything you’ve done for us.”. Roy rushed forward his arms outstretched and hands ready to grab the boy.

 

“All for him” Edward said and he leaned back and took the plunge the wind rushing to meat his ears as he fell. The sound of his brothers happy voice filled his ears as the figure of Roy Mustang reaching over the railing with a look of utter dejection on his face. Mustang looked down not really seeing anything but for the briefest of moments he could have sworn he herd Ed’s voice.

 

“Tell everyone I’m sorry.”

--

A week or so later.

--

 

Silence and tears filled the cemetery as the people watched their hero being put to rest. His death known to many and their sorrow was felt by all. He had touched so many lives and done so much for so many never really asking for anything in return. Though Edward had lived by the law of equivalent exchange he had never forced the belief onto anyone else. By the time he had left them they had all cone to accept it on their own. He had given them something so it was only fair that they give him something in return. He never turned their gifts down either no matter how small and un equivalent they were. Edward was a hero to many people. To those he loved, his friends, and even some he had merely talked to a couple of times.

 

Winry and Pinako Rockbell stood silently tears running down both their faces as they watched. Both Edward and Alphonse had been family. They had stood with each other for a long time. It didn’t matter to them what was happening. They had always been there to help the boys in any way possible. Though more often than not they had been able to do very little. Edward had never told them how much he had preheated their help and that was only because he had never had to. His eyes always spoke truer words than he did. Their last names didn’t matter and they never would. Winry had lost her brothers and Pinako two of her grandchildren and nothing could ever change that.

 

Scieszka sobbed from her place on the ground. Her knees having gave out not long after the funeral started. She had been to see Edward and had thought that he’d be alright. She had thought that he’s get better in a couple of weeks and be back on his feet working again. She’d been wrong and she hated being wrong. Looking back now though she couldn’t figure out how she had missed it. The deep look of sadness and loss that had lived in his eyes while he was awake. She had been planning on taking him a few good books to read to pass the time the next day but now they sat on her reading desk at home stained with tears. She was a genus. How could she not have known? She had herd someone sating that Edward death was probably for the better. But how could it be?

 

Izumi stood silent Sig and Mason behind her. They had received word from a very distraught Winry about Edward’s death and had barley made it to Central in time for the funeral. Izumi stood her mind screaming at her to cry or to do anything. But she couldn’t. She couldn’t bring herself to cry. She had failed her students twice now. She had failed when they had needed her the most. Her stupid students who seemed to think that they could play god. The stupid students she loved more than anything else. Had she been there she might have been able to help. If she had been there looking after her students like any good teacher should then maybe Alphonse wouldn’t have faded away. And if he hadn’t faded then maybe Edward wouldn’t of felt the need to take his own life because he couldn’t do his job as a big brother and protect the younger. Izumi cried as she felt Sig pull her into a strong but gentle hug. Maybe it was better this way. Because she knew that had he not taken his own life this way he would have tried the forbidden again.

 

Scar stood hidden in the shadows of a Weeping Willow. He didn’t even know why he had come. He just had. So many people were weeping for the fallen State Alchemist. No. For the fallen child that had touched their lives in so many different ways. After all in the end that’s what Edward Elric was. A child. A child who had lost everything the same way he had. He’d lost his brother and his home. Edward Elric wasn’t like the State Alchemists that had attacked his homeland and killed so many of his people. The Fullmetal Alchemist had never sold his soul to gain power he didn’t need. He had sold his freedom for the power to help his little brother get back into his rightful body and had failed to do so. So in a sense Edward’s death had been with reason. If he couldn’t be with the little brother he loved so much in life than he would be in death.

 

Russell sighed as he held the crying Fletcher close. Word spread fast. Even to a no account little place like Xenotime. Russell hadn’t wanted to come but Fletcher had and he wasn’t going to let his little brother travel so far alone. He hadn’t wanted to come say god-bye to Edward because he knew deep down that he was saying good-bye to the one person he really wanted to be like. It was corny looking up to someone you had to look down to see. Edward was everything he wanted to be. Strong, talented, and a good older brother. When it came to comparing the two of them as older brothers Edward had him beat hands down. Even Alphonse would have been a good older brother. The boy had learned from the best after all. Russell knew that despite the way Edward usually acted he was one of the most kind hearted people you would ever meat. Russell sighed as he held Fletcher tighter in his arms and he started to cry as well.

 

Rose stood tall and silent tears threatening to start at any moment. She wouldn’t no couldn’t let them fall. He had taught he how to be strong and she was going to be. She was going to be strong because he hadn’t been able to. In the end he had lived up to the name he had set for himself. He was a fallen Icuris. It made no since. He had told her to stand up and keep walking after she had thought she’d lost everything dear. And yet when he lost everything he given up and took the simple road. She had herd the people talking. The that were saying it was for the best. Well they were wrong because the man she had started to love had never been a coward. Killing himself hadn’t been the best for her and it would never be.

 

Armstrong sobbed openly not even trying to hide his tears. It had been to much to suddenly. Between the ongoing battles between military personal and trying to help the boys when and how ever he could. He had done everything he could to help. The news had shocked him. All the news had. Though most of it he had learned through Mustang. Hearing that Alphonse was gone had been bad enough. He had liked the quiet boy very much. Then he had herd about Edwards condition. He had gone to the hospital the very next day with Scieszka and Hawkeye. He had almost started crying when he had laid eyes on Edward. The strong spirited boy he had known was gone. And in his place was a child who was losing everything around him. It killed him he should have been able to help Huges had been able to before he had been killed. Armstrong took a calming breath and looked over at Mustang and his men.

 

Mustang’s head was hung low and the brim of his hat covered his eyes hiding all emotion. He had been to late by only a moment. It was shameful that he hadn’t been able to beat a drugged teenager who had to walk. He had been running all out and he hadn’t made it. He had failed and let another one of his comrades die. He could see his other men out of the corners of his eyes. They had all cried when he had told them. Even Hawkeye’s stony mask had broken and she had shed tears. Though sorrow had turned to rage when he told them the bit of news that not even the doctor had told him until after Edward’s death. His death had been a good thing swift and painless compared to the one he would have had.

 

Edward had been dieing anyway. His wound had been infected so much so that the only thing they were able to do for him was put his on a steadily increasing amount of painkillers so he wouldn’t suffer any more than he had too. The doctor hadn’t told anyone about it on Edward’s request. And Mustang had cried both that night on the roof and in the doctors office after he had been told. Edward’s death had been a good thing. It had saved him weeks of suffering from the effects that would come. He had taken his own life to end it quickly and as painlessly as possible. The people talking were right Edward’s death had been for the best.

 

The sound of laughing broke the sound the crying. Many people looked shocked and furious. At the very back of the crowd stood one Frank Archer. He was laughing his a*s off and shaking his head like he’d just herd the world’s funniest joke. Archer’s eyes met Mustang’s as he Havoc and Hawkeye walked toward him.

 

“You know Mustang they should have demoted him. Committing suicide is only a good thing in war and even then its only good it you take a bunch of enemy’s with you.” Archer stopped laughing as Mustang pulled back a fist to hit him. Only to have someone else beat him to it. A woman with long black hair in many braids placed both hands on her hips and growled in a very Edward like way.

 

“I’d shut up if I were you. You have no idea what happened to him or to his brother. My stupid student may have taken his life but he had a good enough reason to.” Mustang looked on in shock at the woman in front of him. So this was the Elric’s teacher. The only person he knew that Edward and Alphonse had feared with good reason. She was nothing he had imagined her to be. He could hear Havoc behind him trying not to laugh. It was funny once he thought about it. Archer had just been decked by a very angry woman with a husband the size of Armstrong.

 

Izumi turned and looked at the dark haired man who had almost hit the man on the ground with a bloody nose. “It’s a pleasure to meet you mam. I’m Roy Mustang and I was your stupid students boss.” Mustang looked at Izumi and offered her his hand. Izumi snorted and turned away. This was the only time she would never deck the man. He had been given enough trouble already. Mustang stood silent and watched Izumi’s back. She had refused to shake his hand. She had a good reason. She had lost both her boys to the military and was never getting them back.

© 2008 pagen_godess


Author's Note

pagen_godess
Please excuse the spelling and grammar mistakes. This was actually two chapters long when i wrote it but I stuck them together for this.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

166 Views
Added on October 15, 2008

Author

pagen_godess
pagen_godess

TN



About
I like to read and write. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the best speller and my grammar is okay I guess. Spell check is my best friend and so are my betas. I listen to music when I write. I .. more..

Writing