One in the same

One in the same

A Story by Alexis L. Thompson

       Naomi: Today I woke up from a strange dream. I was floating on a cloud and it felt so real. It was so soft and.... sweet. I tasted it. like cotton candy it dissolved into a tiny crystal lump on my tongue. It was nice. I wonder what it meant.

       Leah: Dreams are Fake. Or are they real? Maybe sometimes but Naomi thinks her dream means something. How can it? It had no point. I don't dare tell her that though. She's the best friend I've ever had. I can't stand to lose her to something so stupid.

       Naomi: I went downstairs to find that mom actually made breakfast for us. bizarre.

"Good morning", she said in a sing-songy voice.

Again weird. This was so not her. She set in front of me a plate of pancakes with chocolate chip eyes and a bacon smile. I didn't question and I definitely didn't protest. I ate the pancakes without speaking. Silence thickening the air, I left for school feeling awkward.

       Leah: Okay. The awkward silence this morning was a little amusing for me. Naomi was totally freaking out inside about her moms happiness outburst. I could tell. It's always interesting living with your best friend. I'm always finding out new things about her. It's like I can see inside her head. Sometimes It's like I can influence her.

       Naomi: I get to school early. About twenty minutes before my first class. There he is. His golden complexion and sandy hair make me melt like butter on a hot skillet. his muscles very well defined under the short sleeves of his polo. He is beautiful. He is wonderful. He is perfect. He is Adam. I try not to drool as he walks my way.

"Hi Naomi"

Come on. spit it out. I stutter trying to greet him in return. Not perfect but he gets it.

"I was wondering if you wanted to go to a movie tonight."

A movie of course I do. Oh, God he's so amazing. I don't say that though. Instead I say sounds cool. What time?

"Hows seven?"

again cool. He nods approval that says pick you up at seven then. God, he's perfect. Why is he so perfect? And why did he choose me?

         Leah: She is totally ridiculous. A total goof. I don't tell her that but what I do tell her is I can't believe he chose you. Seriously. How did that even happen? She replies with a simple I don't know, zoning off into Eden with her beloved Adam. Whatever. I tell her we're gonna be late for class which pulls her back into reality... for now.

        Naomi: School was good but way too long today. All I could think about was Adam and me and our date. A date with Adam. I still can't believe it's real. Leah is totally picking on me big time about it. Truth be told, I think she's totally jealous. I pick out my outfit. A fitting black sweater, low rise jeans, and striking, black leather boots. Loving my life right now.

         Leah: I won't lie. Naomi is hot. I'm a bit jealous. Adam is gonna eat her up. Her outfit says conservative but not to conservative. It says whats behind door number one? If I tried I could look like her but I don't care. We have the same body structure. Even most of the same features. People actually might think we're sisters but we aren't.

          Naomi: Adam picks me up at seven as promised. We are going to see a horror movie.

"You look beautiful"

I blush. I hope he doesn't notice. I say thanks to distract him but it doesn't work.

"You really cute when you blush, you know that?"

I didn't but I do now. He moves in really close to my face.

"I didn't want to tell you this before because I was afraid of being turned down but I love you Naomi" 

For a second I say who's Naomi. Then I remember. That's me. He kisses me sweetly. His lips soft against mine. I realize I love him back and I say so. We drive off to the movie and I cling to him through the whole thing. i don't like scary movies much but weren't they made for the cliche romance thing? Well even if not, that's what happened and it was amazing.

        Leah: Naomi had a great night. I'm still shocked he asked her out but on top of that he loves her? I don't believe it. Well at least she had a good time. I had a good time too.... hanging behind.

        Naomi: Adam Is walking towards me as we speak. I'm at school and everyone knows we are a thing now.

        Leah: No. We are a thing. I won't stay quiet any longer. I refuse to be the little one. I refuse to be passed by. Invisible.

        Naomi: Shut up! you need to leave me alone, Leah. Just go.

         Leah: you wanted to be my friend. You wanted this. I was there for you all those years. You can't throw me away now.

"Why are you arguing with yourself?"

Adam looks horrified. That's because he is. I tell him I'm not. I'm arguing with Naomi.

"You are Naomi"

no. I'm Leah and that's exactly what I tell him. But he doesn't understand and now neither do I. Now the nurse has comes to take me to her office. She calls Naomi's parents and it doesn't sound good. Something about a severe case of DID. Me? I'm sick? and not the physical sick but the lock me up in a padded room sick. Oh God.

         Naomi/Leah: I'm currently in Hollow Springs mental hospital working with Dr. Grimm. He's good at his job and he says I'm making great progress. In time I will be all better. One person. Adam comes to visit. Along with my (our) parents. It brightens my day to see that they care. I guess it's time for us to part. We need our space. I know I said I can't stand to lose her but I have to and I will for my safety and the safety of others.

© 2012 Alexis L. Thompson


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

100 Views
Added on January 14, 2012
Last Updated on January 14, 2012

Author

Alexis L. Thompson
Alexis L. Thompson

Waterloo, NY



About
Shoot. I'm 28 now! I haven't updated this in 6 whole years! more..

Writing