the last years of age and pain

the last years of age and pain

A Poem by paperrush

and all at once i heard a great rush of beating wings that could only belong to a flock of starlings. a murmuration of hundreds if not more. but when my eyes lifted skyward, i saw no dark churning cloud. no funnel of flapping pinions, gleaming with the light of a thousand bright beady eyes. no mesmerizing swarm synchronized to the pulse of the earth's more mysterious rhythms.

i saw only a frantic dragonfly, trapped in a small white globe of artificial light. too large to slip through the orb's small mouth, too weak to break through the rounded glass walls. a fragile creature, all natural graces abandoned. a blur of desperation and electric blue noisily ricocheting against its confines with ungainly panic and fear.

i watched absorbed, and wondered just how he got inside at all and if he knew for certain he would die there.

© 2015 paperrush


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

96 Views
Added on April 22, 2015
Last Updated on April 22, 2015

Author

paperrush
paperrush

About
lover of lowercase letters and run-on sentences, disjointed freeverse, tiny poems jammed up with heart. sometimes true. not always. searching for sanctuary from lost almost thoughts. more..

Writing
most quiet most quiet

A Poem by paperrush


eucharist eucharist

A Poem by paperrush