Sweet Dreams

Sweet Dreams

A Story by Heqi Wang

A dark silhouette covers half of my bedroom window with the working world outside already going to its beauty sleep, the skies transforming into darker and colder shades.

I shook off my slippers and crawled into bed, wary of my shadowy surroundings.

I languidly murmured a goodnight to my stuffed friend as i hugged him close and let the night angels cover my eyes with a drop of sedative formula.

I lived on the top floor alone in this stone cold building. From the window, one can experience the entire city, beginning from the sparkling lights on the towering skyscrapers to hearing the downtown cars honking their useless horns and the commotion passerby cause as they too, enjoy the city.

The building opposite from my window housed my soul mate. He was my loving brother and nurturing father. 

I, with light steps, walked across the tightrope and reached him with ease, feeling the airiness of my light body. Underneath me, the city continued nonstop and a slight wind blew at my naked ankles with my white night gown flowing.

I knocked on his window but he was already dressed up in light summer attire waiting for me. Together, we, hand in hand, approached the sparkling city like old friends and began our night journey, where we forget the pains of yesterday, leave behind our boring past, and fly forward into the future of good tomorrow. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 Like Aladdin without the magic carpet we flew up and over electricity lines, skyscrapers, the city's illuminated apartment houses, shops and signs. The great wind carried us far and wide until we came to our primary stop, the bread shop.

We waltzed in and the old shopkeeper already recognized our presence. The mature old man gave us a platter of  garlic bread with chocolate chip cookies and medium sized milk tea to fuel our journey.

I threw a thanks in his way and we set out again, lifting our pretend wings but soaring nevertheless.

Next stop: the bustling city streets.

Lightly we stepped foot onto the downtown city, which was filled with noise and clamour. The headlights from the bars blinded our sight and everywhere people were rushing in and out of shops carrying baggage and baggage of holiday shopping. Our mouths formed perfect O's as we admired this place's miracle decorations. 

"Do you know what today is?" A scrawny little boy passing by asked. "It's Christmas Eve!" With that he thew his hands up, happily laughed and went about his way back to his mother.

Christmas Eve...? I sure don't celebrate Christmas back at home. With that, i admired the decorations with new eyes. The streetlamp posts were pine trees. The old man passing out candy was Santa with his sled just around the corner and the little children carrying tiny teddy bears were elves. The world was his children.

Going pass the little decorated houses, we observed the scenes that took place inside. At one homely abode, through the glass window we taped ourselves against, admiring in awe, i saw the Christmas tree, warmly decorated and with the bright yellow star sparkling our eyes out and banishing the dark shadows and monsters that arise from our superstitions.

Upstairs, there were little children who were just getting ready for sleep. The stockings were already hung up and the chimney was free of smoke. Even the fat free milk and chocolate chip cookies were set out. I nudged my soul mate. "Hey," i said. "let's go inside." 

He dimly nodded and held out his hand for me to catch. We flew up into the second story and landed on a tree branch outside the window. The boy's bedroom was pristine and clean and all his clothes were folded neatly, piled in one corner. He was getting prepared for bed. He changed into his sleepwear and jumped onto his bed and was fast asleep. We silently made our way in, careful not to disturb the sleeping boy. 

I blew good night kisses at his bedside and wished him the best of luck and that Santa was to bring him lots of presents because he was a good boy. He tried his hardest in school and received one of the best marks. He took good care of his little sisters and parents. He always took out his trash and got the mail and washed the dishes and made lunches for his siblings. His grandparents loved him and so did the townspeople.

"Come on, " My soul mate held out his hand. He was standing near the door and waiting for me to finish. 

Suddenly the bell struck 1 am and it was our time to go.  

We were left hovering in the air when our body started to fade and we turned pale and white like spirits. When finally the last of us was gone, my soul mate had pulled me into his arms for a kiss and wished me a merry Christmas.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

 

© 2013 Heqi Wang


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

257 Views
Added on December 25, 2013
Last Updated on December 25, 2013
Tags: christmas, dreams, merry christmas, sleep, city

Author

Heqi Wang
Heqi Wang

germantown, MD



Writing
Life Story Life Story

A Book by Heqi Wang


The Big Star The Big Star

A Story by Heqi Wang