Emotional Baggage Sketch

Emotional Baggage Sketch

A Screenplay by parisbarnes9

INT. AIRPORT - DAY
The airport is bustling with passengers trying to navigate the complex of shops and gates. A variety of melodic chimes and announcements ring out through the atrium. MR Tucker, a well-dressed man in his late thirties approaches a check-in desk. Mr Tucker places his bag next to him and his passport and ticket on the desk. Although no one is to be seen, a squeaking noise can be heard. Slowly, a WOMAN in her early 20's comes into view, her chair squeaking as she pumps the chair higher.
WOMAN
Hello, sir. How are you today?
TUCKER
Oh, um, very well, thank you.
WOMAN
That’s great, and where are you flying to today, sir?
TUCKER
Er, Paris.
WOMAN
Oh, wow. I hear it’s lovely this time of year.
She checks his ticket.
WOMAN
And flying first class, lucky you.
TUCKER
(jokingly)
Well, you know, it's the best way to smuggle drugs out of the country.
The woman gives a polite laugh.
WOMAN
Now, sir, do you have any hold baggage to check in?
TUCKER
Oh, no, just the hand baggage.
He pats the top of his bag.
WOMAN
Great, and any emotional baggage to declare?
2.
Tucker looks slightly taken aback.
TUCKER
I, er, sorry?
WOMAN
Any emotional baggage you’re taking out of the country today?
TUCKER
I‘m afraid I don’t quite understand.
WOMAN
Have you flown with our airline before, sir?
TUCKER
Um, no, I haven’t.
WOMAN
Right, well, our company has had to put restrictions on the amount of emotional baggage allowed on the plane. You see, just like physical baggage it does tend to weigh the plane down, so we ask all customers to declare any emotional baggage before boarding. Current restrictions limit baggage to ten kilograms per passenger.
She gives him a sweet smile. Tucker still looks confused.
TUCKER
Well, um, what sort of stuff are you looking for?
WOMAN
Any major relationship issues in the past five years?
TUCKER
Oh, well, my wife and I divorced about eight months ago?
The woman clicks at her computer, revealing a drop down list of various traumatic experiences.
WOMAN
Let’s see. Divorce, divorce... Ah! Here we go, divorce, four kilos.
3.
Tucker is starting to get upset thinking about his divorce, his voice beginning to break.
TUCKER
(Slightly under his breath)
She took the kids.
The woman clearly isn’t fazed, she sees people breaking down all the time.
WOMAN
(Deadpan)
Best put that up to five.
She taps away at her computer briefly.
WOMAN
Any childhood trauma that we ought to know about?
TUCKER
Well, my mother died when I was just a boy so that was very hard on me and my father... and then...
Mr Tucker grows more upset as he talks about his past, tears streaming down his face. The woman continues to enter all the data onto her computer, with apparently no concern for Tucker.
TUCKER
...when he ran over Sooty.
He stands at the desk, a shell of his former self. The woman realized he has come to the end.
WOMAN
Is that everything you have to declare, sir?
Tucker is clearly still distraught.
TUCKER
Um, yes.
WOMAN
Great, I’ll just run that through the computer.
She taps at her computer keyboard for a moment. She turns back to Tucker.
4.
WOMAN
I’m very sorry, sir, but you are in fact three times over the weight limit.
TUCKER
Oh, is there anything you can do?
WOMAN
Well we do offer a service that will remove excess baggage before the flight.
TUCKER
Is it good?
WOMAN
98% success rate, sir. Would you like me to see what the options are?
TUCKER
Um, okay...
The woman types at her computer.
WOMAN
Okay, so to remove the excess twenty kilograms it comes to £290, but if you want to remove all baggage it comes to £410. Now, we do recommend this option just in case you pick up any emotional souvenirs while abroad.
Tucker stands, completely shocked by the sum.
TUCKER
£400?! I can’t afford that!
WOMAN
£410, sir. It is currently your cheapest option.
TUCKER
What are the other options?
WOMAN
You can either cancel your booking, which is a fine of £115, and rebook your flight once you’ve removed the excess yourself.
5.
TUCKER
Or?
WOMAN
You can proceed to board the plane with all baggage attached and wait for the airbus to inevitably plummet down into the ocean.
Tucker looks at the floor, disheartened. The desk clerk leans forward.
WOMAN
Would you like me to sign you up for the service, sir?
Tucker nods, getting tearful. The woman leans towards the microphone on her desk.
WOMAN
(over intercom)
Can I get a psychiatrist to desk two, please?. Psychiatrist to desk two.
Tucker looks up at the clerk, confused, but still teary. A middle-aged woman with glasses walks up to the desk and takes Mr Tucker's arm, leading him away as he bursts into tears. The desk clerk realizes Tucker has left his bag and paperwork at the desk. She grabs it and skips after him.
WOMAN
Wait a minute, sir.
Tucker looks back at her, eyes full of hope.
WOMAN
You left these.
He looks back down, disappointed. She gives him a sweet smile.
WOMAN
Have a nice flight.
CUT TO BLACK.

© 2019 parisbarnes9


My Review

Would you like to review this Screenplay?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

11 Views
Added on September 20, 2019
Last Updated on September 20, 2019

Author

parisbarnes9
parisbarnes9

United Kingdom



About
Hi! I'm Paris and I'm a Film Production student in the UK, hoping to go into editing or sound. At the moment I'm working on writing a sketch web series. more..

Writing
Doctor's Sketch Doctor's Sketch

A Stage Play by parisbarnes9