The Rite

The Rite

A Story by parisianroses
"

A young siren approaches her Rite of Passage.

"

          I was 9 years old when my sister took her Rite. The way her robes swirled around her, creating a hurricane of colour as she slowly twirled, mesmerised me. Her friends gleefully rushing towards her, their laughter rippling the water and round them. Then came midnight. I watched in awe as she disappeared above the surface, smiling to myself as a ship slowly approached. As it drew closer, Mother drew me close to her and whispered gently, “Watch closely.” My gaze followed the direction of her pale finger, to Desdemona. The water distorts the scene unfolding above us, but I can faintly make out her dark tresses that cascade down her back and another figure leaning over the edge of the boat. Suddenly, her voice breaks through the surface of the water, purring a lullaby we listened to as younglings.  The other figure teeters dangerously close to the edge, my sister extends a hand towards him, drawing him impossibly closer to her. “Mama,” I tug on her sleeve urgently, not daring to raise my voice above a whisper,” They’re gonna fall in.” She shushes me with a single look before turning her attention back to Desdemona. When my eyes find their way back to her, in her place I find two figures thrashing around, the other figure is a boy. He’s not much older than her, terror fixated on his pale face, arms flailing frantically around him. Despite my strength, I can’t seem to rip my eyes from the pair of them. Everything stops, the boy falls limp and drops from her arms, slowly sinking to the ocean floor. Desdemona’s eyes are wild, her face split into a grin, revealing her razor-sharp teeth. Everyone around us breaks into applause.

 

          My robes hang limply around me as I turn to face my family. My friends whisper their support, a few of them squeezing my hand gently. Now, it’s midnight. The hammering in my chest only grows louder as I near the surface. Somehow, I force myself up, water trickling down my face and neck. My eyes flicker downwards, searching for everyone else, but the waves distort the into shadowy blurs. Lights begin to slowly draw closer, the once incoherent voices suddenly becoming louder.” Is that- is that a girl?” The voice is concerned, a pang of guilt shoots through me as a figure runs to the front of the ship and points frantically towards me. Pushing my emotions aside, I let my eyes drop closed and imitate my sister’s voice all those years ago. Opening my eyes, I find myself face to face with the owner of the voice, leaning over the railings, entranced my voice. The song is almost over, I extend my hand towards him, beckoning him to me. He takes it. I finish the last note, letting it linger in the cool night air. “I’m sorry.” Water thrashes around us, creating lager ripples in the water as we sinker deeper and deeper. They told me humans were strong, I just didn’t expect it to be this hard. He tries to push me away, but to no avail. With my free hand I draw it back, letting my talons extend, and swing forward. The light drains from his pleading eyes, and he sinks to the ocean floor. Everyone beneath me breaks into applause. My face splits into a grin.


© 2018 parisianroses


Author's Note

parisianroses
Any criticism (positive or negative) would be greatly appreciated.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

91 Views
Added on September 9, 2018
Last Updated on September 13, 2018
Tags: siren, mermaid, water, fantasy

Author