Today

Today

A Story by Amy
"

flash fiction

"
Today has been a good day. Nobody I know was killed and the sun rose in the East and set in the West.  Like I said, it's been a good day. As days go, I don't ask for much. Some food, some water, a place to sleep safely at night and the sun to rise the next day. I live simply and don't ask for much.  
"Today was a good day for the war."  The leaders say. But they say that every day. They've been saying it for the last nine months.  I don't know what they consider a good day. I all I know is my friends keep dying and some times we don't have enough to eat. "Keep it up!  We are winning this war!"  They chant at us. What do they know of it?
They know nothing of the hardships or the pain. They don't know anything, but their full bellies and warm women at night.  What do the leaders know about blood, and death, and exploding debris?  Nothing.  They know their parties, and teas and gatherings of good cheer.
But, like I said, today was a good day.  Tomorrow is... far away.

© 2012 Amy


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Nice poem Amy, keep it up

Posted 11 Years Ago


Somewhat repetitive and a little confusing. Not quite a poem but not exactly a story. i'm going to read your next story; it looks fun.

Posted 11 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Amy
Thanks for the review. I hadn't thought of the symbolism in that perspective. I guess I'm a little young to remember the images from TV. I think at that time I was watching Sesame Street! (no disrespect to any and all of our vets out there - Thank you for your sacrafice and service).

It's always nice to hear how other people perceive the stories in my head. :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Michael G.

11 Years Ago

You're welcome. An interesting story.
It kinda reminds me of the evening news reports from the Vietnam War. The tallies were always given, as the leaders sat at tables looking important.
Well done.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

157 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 18, 2012
Last Updated on July 18, 2012

Author

Amy
Amy

Arvada, CO



About
Married housewife with no children, but two dogs, and what tales they come up with. (or is it tails?) I'm forty-two this year, and looking to submit something for publication for the first time in.. more..

Writing
One of These Days One of These Days

A Story by Amy