The hunt

The hunt

A Story by Pbrgrim

As I place my heavy leather boots down towards the soggy muddy earth I can feel the soft dampness of the soil as it conforms it's self to the imprint of my aggressive rubber treads. My body is low to the ground and each step is meticulous and strategically planned within my sub conscious mind seconds before my muscles even begin to execute the objective. The whistle of the howling wind echoes throughout the valley in which I have found myself entrenched, my face is weathered and rugged from countless hours of rough environmental battles between man and the mother of nature. The objective is all but one hundred meters from my current location. I reach down and delicately grab a hand full of damp leaves there smell is putrid and moldy from the rain and moisture that has been collected on the forest floor days prior. As I raise up my right hand I slowly open my clenched fist and allow the winter breeze to scoop the delicate leaves from my open palm with the gentleness of a pick pocket drifting past with the slightest push, so smooth I almost feel nothing. The direction in which the wind sweeps the leaves is a clear notation that my placement within the woods is a tactical masterpiece. An evil grinch like smile begins to form above my chin it is a sight that would make the devil cringe and upturn his nose. My mind is telling me that I have made all the correct movements during the days long and painful endeavor and I'm mere seconds away from completing the mission I have been sent to complete. In the distance I make visual contact with my target. God has formed this creature with his bare hands, the beast was snorting and I could see a could of air rush from its nostrils as the warm air from its lungs met the cold air of the mountain top. A dark brown and large bodied specimen with dark piercing black eyes was now within forty yards of me. The beasts antlers were heavy and wide, they spread a good three feet in diameter and a massive amount of mangled and twisted points scattered in multiple directions atop its head. The massive buck was turned broadside and had no inkling that it has been stalked for most of this December morning. I calmly asked my mind and body to become one it is a task that I have mastered from years of field experience and training. I cautiously raised up into a full stance behind a giant oak tree making sure not to reveal my position to the wild stag. I clinched my rifle and gently raised the wooden stock tightly up to my shoulder. As I pressed the metal up to my cheek my grip became fierce my eyes became focused. The beating of my heart was now so strong it was as if I could actually see the outside of my chest pulsating. Adrenaline surged through my blood stream as I peered down the sights. I took one last breath as I inhaled and filled my lungs with oxygen, three...two...one, I gave the trigger the slightest of work and the rifle released the most colossal explosion. The kick was like a horse just kicked me in the shoulder blade and the ringing in my ears was enough to create a deafening sensation. It took me all but a millisecond for my brain to regain focus. I squinted my left eye and placed my right back into the scope. Natures toughest obstacles and beast of burdens sly abilities were no match for my cunning and wit on this day.

© 2014 Pbrgrim


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

that is a moment I would 'snapshot' for later. thanks for taking me there with you - I enjoyed the read.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

106 Views
1 Review
Added on January 11, 2014
Last Updated on January 11, 2014