30 nights with the King

30 nights with the King

A Story by PdDugger
"

FBI agent Cora McKinney meets the the bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan.

"

Chapter one

It’s 5 in the morning and the plane just landed in Atlanta, Georgia. As the captain asks that everyone remain in their seats a travel weary man opens his eyes and sighs “finally”. He sits up and runs his fingers through his long black hair he doesn't like having to take these long flights but admits it is a necessity. One of the flight attendant starts talking over the speaker” We have reach our terminal please remove your bag from the over head compartment and have a pleasant day.” Shah Rukh stands up stretches his long frame causing his black tee shirt to ride up a little showing off his hard earned abs. Out of the corner of eye he sees two of the flight attendants staring at him causing him to feel nervous under their gaze he pulls his tee shirt back down reaches into the over head compartment pulling out his black leather bag and heads toward the exit. As he is about to walk out one of the flight attendants says” thank you for flying with us Mr. Khan it is such an honor to meet you.” She has the biggest smile on her face and despite how tired he feels smiles back causing his dimples to show and both women giggled. He exits the plane,goes through customs, collects his luggage and gets into his rented car asking the driver to take him to the hotel.


Chapter two

Across town a lovely petite woman with sandy blond hair and green eyes wakes up in her apartment. She climbs out of bed and heads to the kitchen thinking to herself ” I love mornings” she picked up the tea kettle,fills it with water and sets it on the stove burner to heat. Her very groggy roommate wonders into the kitchen on seeing her she greets her ” good morning Pooja did you sleep well?” Pooja replied mumbling “Cora you know not to talk to me till I've had my coffee. When will you learn?” This made Cora laugh “Poo I love watching the grumpy faces you make” of course in reply Pooja made a face. Cora turned on the coffee pot that she always preps the night before the smell of the brewing coffee fills the kitchen and the tea kettle began to whistle Cora picks up the tea pot that sit by the coffee maker add her favorite tea earl grey and the water. Cora turns to Pooja who has just filled her coffee cup ” bagel and cream cheese?” ” yes,but I want the cinnamon raisin today.” Cora makes two bagels one plain and one cinnamon raisin with cream cheese. Cora pours herself a cup of tea and both woman stand at the kitchen counter eating and sipping there preferred drinks. They finished their breakfast in silence and returned to their rooms to dress for work. Cora was looking through her closet trying to decide what to wear she was a little nervous this would be her first week as a full FBI agent she had completed her training and probationary period and now she would be assigned to the team she would be working with she hoped it would be with Pooja who had been a full agent for a year now. She resided to to wear her black skirt and blazer with her pale pink blouse. She dressed quickly fixed her long hair and put on her makeup as she left her room she noted the time was 6:30 am she called out to Pooja “I’m ready to go, are you ?” Pooja answered back”yes” and came out of her room wearing her black suit and a pale blue blouse she went to the kitchen to get her travel mug of coffee. They left for the Atlanta field branch office of the FBI.


30 nights with the King

Chapter three

Cora stood in the office of Mark F. Guiliano lead agent for the Atlanta office. “Agent McKinney” Agent Guilano says”I’m assigning you to our human trafficking squad. You will be working with Agents Martin, Williams and Chopra. I understand that you and Agent Chopra are roommates.” “yes sir” ” then you should do well on this team Agent Chopra is outside waiting welcome to the FBI.” They shook hands and Cora left the office. Pooja was leaning against the wall across from the office when Cora came out she walked up to Cora and gave her a big hug “congrats Agent McKinney welcome to the team I’ll take you to our squad offices and introduce you to everyone and debrief you on our current case.” Cora and Pooja head toward the elevators and went to the third floor they walk by a row of offices till they reach the door that read lead Agent Martin human trafficking squad they entered the office ” good morning Richard” said Pooja “this is Agent Cora McKinney she has been assigned to our squad.” An older man who looked to be in his mid fifths with more grey that brown hair though he seemed fit for his age stood up and walked around his desk ” welcome to the team I’m Agent Richard Martin, but call me Richard we go by our first names on this team if you don’t mind.” “I don’t.” Replied Cora “good” he said let’s go to our meeting room and met Agent Williams and the debrief you. They all exited the office and walked across the hall to the meeting room. A man Cora guested was Agent Williams stood by the big round table on seeing them enter walked toward them with a big smile “you must be Cora” he said as he looked her up and down which made Cora a little uncomfortable ” cut it out Ben.” Snaped Pooja “she is your team member not one of those girls you case after.” ” it’s ok Pooja I know how to behave myself I was thinking she is perfect for the case we are working on.” “Speaking of the case lets bring Cora up to speed on what’s going on everyone sit please.” Said Richard and he began to tell Cora about the case ” Atlanta Pd contacted our squad last week. Five women have gone missing and since no ransom has demanded it is to be believed that this is the work of a trafficking ring. All five women have disappeared from night clubs in Atlanta, so Cora and Pooja will be going undercover tonight.

Chapter four

The alarm clock goes off its 9:30 am Shah Rukh reaches over to turn it off he sits up in bed running a hand through hair he has a full day a head of him and only four hours of sleep. There is a knock at the door “who is it?” Shah Rukh asks “room service sir.” Shah Rukh gets out of bed only wearing pajama pants he puts on his tee shirt that he picked up off the chair and walks across the large suite he opens the door the waiter walks in with his cart it has only a pot of coffee and mug the waiter places the coffee pot and mug on the dining table. “will that be all sir?”asks the waiter “yes.” Shah Rukh replies he give the waiter a tip the waiter leaves taking the cart with him. Shah Rukh pours himself a cup of coffee and goes to get his iPad out of his black leather travel bag he turns it on sits down at the table and checks his itinerary for today, so I have lunch with the U.S Soccer Federation players and the Elite Football League of India players at eleven, a gym session at three, then an exhibition match between the US and India teams that starts at eight thirty. Shah Rukh Finished his cup of coffee laid down the iPad and went to get dressed. He picked out a navy blue button down shirt and jeans laying them on the bed he went to take a shower as the water rained down on him his heart became heavy all these years God had given him everything a job he loved, a house , many friends, and more fans than anyone could meet in one life time, but he had no love no wife no kids he felt that part of himself was incomplete tears began to roll down his face “why God why must I suffer like this is there not one woman I can give my love to even if for a moment you know I’m not good around women and I don’t know how to talk to one unless its from a script so God can you please help me if you can bring her to me I swear I’ll give her all love in my heart. Shah Rukh turned off the water wrapped himself in a towel and went to the bedroom he dressed leaving the first three buttons of his shirt undone grabbed his sunglasses to hide his eyes that was red not just from lack of sleep went down to the hotel lobby got in to his car gave the driver the address to the lunch meet and greet.

Chapter five

The white BMW pulled up to the entrance of the Georgia Dome where today’s first ever international sports event between India and the U.S. would take place. Shah Rukh was late thanks to the accident on the highway, he closed the e-book he had been reading and laid the Kindle on the seat he could hear the radio ” this is channel 46 with your local news and weather it’s Monday April the fifteenth and a pleasant 70 degrees out your local time is 11:30 news this morning a sixth woman disappeared last night so all you lovely ladies please be on guard Now back to the music. Shah Rukh had a sinking feeling in his stomach hearing that someone was taking these women to him a woman was a sacred gift from God no man had the right to raise his hand to a woman and someone was kidnapping them with no end in sight. The driver opened the car door and Shah Rukh stepped out and walked into the stadium. He was directed to a large meeting hall where the top players from the U.S. and India as well as coaches, officials and league presidents. The president of the U.S. Soccer Federation was already giving his speech ” And with this camaraderie of sportsmanship we are united by our common interest no matter what country we’re from thank you. With the speech completed the room irrupted into applause. A young man walked up to the president of the U.S Soccer Federation and whispered something in his ear the president looked toward Shah Rukh and smiled ” ladies and gents I have been informed that Mr. Shah Rukh Khan the ambassador for the Elite Football League of India has arrived. Sir will you please join me?” Shah Rukh smiled walking toward the stage he stood at the podium looking out at the crowd takes out his specs and his speech. “I’m glad I have the opportunity to be here today I was do to be filming but bad weather has postponed it. I’m honored to be the ambassador of the sport and country that I love if it had not been for an injury during my school days I may have been a sportsman myself instead you all have to put up with my terrible acting and I do sincerely apologize for it.” The room was filled with laughter. ” I’m honored to be apart of anything that helps the world become a global community. I believe that a sport has its own language and you may not speak to same language yet you play the same sport whether you call it football or soccer and thus you have a common thread now you can speak the same language. Ten years from now we may say we brought the world a little closer Thank you.” The room erupted into applause everyone was standing on their feet. The room had two buffets one with American food the other with Indian food and of course Shah Rukh’s favorite tandoori chicken which he ate his fill. Shah Rukh mingled awhile with the players then left for the gym.

Chapter six

After the debriefing Cora and Pooja went to Cora’s office. Cora sat down at the desk ” I can’t believe this is finally happening I’m on a team I have an office and to top it off I’m going undercover of the first time tonight.” “Are you nervous?” Pooja asks Cora only smiles ” no not really mostly excited .” “Ok, Cora” Pooja says” spend the afternoon setting up your office then we’ll go home and get ready for tonight we have to be at the Midnight Club at 9pm.” Pooja left the office leaving Cora to her task. Cora got to work setting up her computer arranging her office supplies making a list of personal things she would like from home then she texted Pooja asking if they were allowed to play music to which she replied yes if it’s played at a reasonable level and does not disrupt work. Cora pulled out her iPod and plugged it into the computer logging into her iTunes account she tried to remember the movie she and Pooja watched last night oh it was Jab something but she couldn’t remember so once again she texted Pooja what was the name of the movie we watched last night Pooja responded with Jab Tak Hai Jaan. Cora typed the name in and found she could buy the whole album for 8.91 which she happy paid and downloaded to her iPod she plugged her mini speaker into the iPod and hit play then the sweet melody of Challa filled the room. Images of that handsome Indian playing that guitar creeped into her mind I wicked smile played on her lips until she couldn’t remember his name she thought to herself I can’t ask Poo she will think I’m just goofing off so she googled Jab Tak Hai Jaan cast and the guy that played Samar was Shah Rukh Khan hmmm how does he pronounce his name so she googled Shah Rukh Khan she wasn’t expecting much but what she saw was mind boggling whoever this man is he seems to be a big deal google has the latest new and thousand of pics and his bio. So Cora decided to look at some pictures first ohhh my those eyes those beautiful eyes and that knee weakening smile and that thick black but was once brown hair wow she had been living with Pooja for the past six months and never watched what Pooja referred to as a Hindi film till last night suddenly she felt the past six month had been wasted with this lack of info. Then Jab Tak Hai Jaan the poem began to play his seductive voice teased her ears then there was a knock at the door “yes” she squeaked in surprise “Cora are you ok?” Pooja asked “yes, I’m fine Poo.” “Ok its five its time to go.” “Alright give me a minute I’ll be right there.” “Ok see you in the lobby.” Cora sat in her chair for a minute slightly shaken from the near miss of being caught drooling over this man she knew nothing of. Cora turned the iPod off and packed it in her purse and headed to the lobby Pooja was there with a smile on her face Cora looked at her quizzically ” what?” Pooja says “your an SRK’ian now.” Cora looks confused “a what?” “That’s what we fans of Shah Rukh Khan call ourselves SRK’ian.” Cora blushes “I guess so” with that they go home.

Chapter seven

Cora and Pooja had been at the Midnight Club for an hour and had seen nothing suspect other than the clothing or lack there of on the other women there and it was shocking. they had been instructed by Agent Martin to dance with anyone who asks pretend to drink whatever is offered in hopes of catching the kidnapper. Pooja was putting on an amazing act pretending to be drunk if Cora hadn’t known better she would have thought she was drunk. Cora in own her right was quite the actress and dancer she had danced with almost every man in the club except for the man who had been watching her from the moment she walked in and he had a client who had asked for a short petite woman preferable a blond and this one looked about five feet athletic body and long blond hair she was perfect he knew his client will be very pleased. Cora suddenly felt an arm wrap around her waist and pull her close a man whispered into her ear “lets get out of here babe” and began to pull her toward the exit Cora looked around for Pooja who had begun to follow them Cora kept up her tipsy act as to not give anything away. Once outside she knew that Agents Martin and Williams would be following and she was in no danger or at least that’s what she believed. Shah Rukh was heading back to the hotel after the exhibition match the game had been exciting and a close one with India scoring in the last thirty seconds of the match. He was relieve that the day was over and that he had a cup of coffee without it he would have passed out hours ago he looked out the window to see a couple come out of a club and then two men began to follow them he suddenly had a sinking feeling what if these men were the kidnappers he yelled at the driver “stop the car pull over!” Before the car came to a complete stop Shah Rukh jumped out and ran toward the couple to warn them but the young man pulled a knife out of his pocket and came at Shah Rukh to stab him the woman who had appeared drunk through herself at him the knife sank into her right shoulder a look of shock played on her face. Cora felt searing pain pierce her shoulder she looked up into the face of the man who just ruined the operation and “oh dear Lord have mercy I’m hallucinating.”she thought to herself “well if I have to hallucinate at least it’s a really good looking hallucination. Shah Rukh sat her down on the sidewalk and was about to confront the man with the knife when someone grabbed him from behind throw him to the ground and cuffed his hands behind back. Shah Rukh look up and saw that the man with the knife was also on the ground cuffed it was then the truth hit him the men following must be the police and this man must be a kidnapper. A woman came running to them ” Cora Cora! Is she ok? What happened?” She was screaming “Richard tell me what happened!?” Richard had his hands full trying to calm Pooja down ” Poo, Cora will be fine just a shoulder wound none of this would’ve happened had that guy not interfered.” Pooja kneeled down looked at his face and gasped “OMG.”

Chapter eight

Pooja stood up and walked to Cora who was being examined by a medic that just arrived. “How are you feeling?” Pooja asked kneeling beside her Cora look up with a worried look on her face “I think I’m having a mental break I thought it was just a hallucination but I can’t get his face out of my head.” Cora looked at Shah Rukh as Agent Williams was helping him to his feet still wearing the handcuffs Agent Martin walks up to Shah Rukh and read him his rights “You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be provided for you. Do you understand the rights I have just read to you? With these rights in mind, do you wish to speak to me?” Shah Rukh replied “yes,I understand, but is she ok?” Neither agent answers him Martin takes Shah Rukh’s wallet and says to Williams “take him to interrogation I’ll talk to” looking down at his ID”Mr. Khan later.” As Williams begins to lead Shah Rukh away he looks at Cora as she is being loaded into the ambulance their eyes meet for the first time Shah Rukh feels like he has been struck by lightning she had the most beautiful green eyes he had ever seen her long hair that once was up now was loose and fell across her left shoulder her lovely black lace dress was ruined for sure he had a mixture of emotions concern for her health guilt for the trouble he had caused her anger towards the man that meant her harm. As he was being put in a car the swear he made to God came to mind “if you can bring her to me I swear I’ll give her all love in my heart.” He had to laugh to keep from crying that was going to be difficult if he went to jail. His driver run up to the car “sir what do I do?” Shah Rukh replied “call my agent he’ll send my lawyer.” Agent Williams started the car and drove to the Atlanta branch office. Cora was in the E.R getting stitches Pooja was with her agent Martin walked into the room” how is she?” He asked the doctor looks up and says “she will be fine only ten stitches the knife didn’t go to deep. She can be released in about an hour.” Agent Martin sighs ” I hate to tell you this Cora being that its your first week as a full agent but FBI rules state that when an agent is wounded in the field a 30 day leave of absence must be taken.” Cora looked at him “I know, just my luck I guess.” He turned to Pooja “take her home then come to the office” with that he left. Pooja took Cora home helped her change into her PJs gave her one of the pain pills the doctor proscribed Cora fell asleep as soon as her head touched the pillow.

Chapter nine

Shah Rukh had been sitting in an interrogation room for two hours and had seen no one since he had been brought in he knew the time because the clock on the wall was the only thing in the room besides the table and three chairs and at this moment it read 12:46am. Agent Martin and Pooja entered the room and sat down at the table opposite of Shah Rukh. “Mr. Khan” agent Martin started “I’m agent Richard Martin this is agent Chopra sorry to keep waiting it seems that after your driver spoke to your agent everyone you know came to know what happened here tonight and felt compelled to call us.”With this Shah Rukh relaxed a bit and smiled agent Martin continued with” but I need to hear from you.what you were doing there tonight?” Shah Rukh sat up placed his hands on the table “I heard on the radio this morning about the women being kidnapped and when I saw you following, Cora? And that man I thought you might be the kidnappers so I got out of the car to warn them and you know the rest.” He cleared his throat to keep his emotions out of his voice ” she got hurt because of me if I would have stayed in the car she would have been just fine.” His voice cracked he stop talking he lowered his head he tried to keep control of his emotions. “Well you will be relieved to know that she will be fine it was only a small wound only minor damage.” Said Pooja fighting her own emotions seeing him like this in real life was heart wrenching Shah Rukh looked up at her and said a soft “thank you”. “Well Mr. Khan there is no reason to hold you further.” Said agent Martin ” agent Chopra will escort you to the lobby” and he stood up and exited the room. Pooja stood up ” this way please” motioning toward the door Shah Rukh stood up and followed her. “Did she go home?” He asked “yes” she replied “can I see her?” “Yes, tomorrow if she feels up to having visitors.” Pooja was watching his face and could swear he was trying to work things out in his mind. “Do you know where she lives?” Pooja pauses in front of the elevators and pushes the down button she wondering if she should tell him that their roommates and guesses what he might say if she does but knows better than to think any harm would come from it so she says “yes I know where she lives we’re roommates.” Shah Rukh smiles as the elevator doors open they walk into it. ” I know it might be asking a lot agent Chopra but can I come with you? I want to be there when she wakes up.” Pooja replied “call me Pooja and yes you may come home with me Mr. Khan” “thank you and just call me Shah Rukh.” He said softly Pooja giggled uncontrollable putting a hand to her mouth in embarrassment Shah Rukh had such a big smile on his face his dimples were showing ” it’s ok” he said “you wouldn’t be the first. The elevator reached the lobby and all Pooja could think was how many people will ever get to say “I took Shah Rukh Khan home.

Chapter ten

Shah Rukh shifted on the couch slowly waking up inhaling deeply and let out a yawn the pleasant smell of fresh brewing coffee filled the air he sat up a little wondering what was the time before he had gone to sleep he canceled his flight and talked to Rohit about the dates for filming Rohit had told him it could be a few days or maybe even weeks before filming could resume so now he had time on his hands. “Would you like some coffee?” Said a voice he had never heard before he look up to see Cora standing at the end of the couch dressed and ready for the day one would think nothing had happened last night she had on black jeans and a white oversized long sleeve cotton shirt that had a big neck that hung off her left shoulder leaving it exposed her long hair was loose and she was wearing makeup but only lightly and her lips had a glossy pink hue he mussed what would it be like to kiss those lips? his mussing was interrupted as Cora said “well?” She looked uncomfortable and he knew it was from his stare he answered with “yes please.” She went to the kitchen and came back with a steaming mug of coffee Shah Rukh was sitting on the couch still wearing his jeans and white dress shirt from last night she sat down on the wooden coffee table in front of him and gave him the mug he inhaled deeply and took a sip looking at Cora over the mug then he asked “what time is it?” “10am.” Shah Rukh was surprised “really?” Cora laughed softy “yes, it really is Poo said you wasn’t a morning person but I didn’t think you would sleep this late.” Shah Rukh didn’t comment he continued to drink his coffee ” where is Pooja?” He asked.” At the office agent Martin called her in for an emergency meeting probable discussing how to proceed without me.” “Without you” he asked quizzically “were you fired?” “No it’s protocol if your wounded in the field you take a thirty day leave.” “Oh I see.” His voice got softer and he looked down “because of me.” Cora leaned forward placed a hand on his right knee her face full of compassion “yes I was wounded because its my job to protect its my job to stand between a well meaning person and a knife or any other weapon. He still didn’t look up so she leaned closer and cocked her head to the right their faces were only inches apart he raised his eyes they swimmed with guilt. “I’m not angry with you” she whispered ” I’m just glad your ok I would never be able to forgive myself if you had been hurt” she paused a smile pulled at her lips “and neither would your fans.” Shah Rukh looked up in surprise “you know who I am?” Cora made a face “no I just assumed because your Indian you must be Pooja’s cousin.” She said sarcastically Shah Rukh burst into laughter and Cora joined in “I’m glad to know I’m not the only one with a sarcastic sense of humor.” He said Cora smiled “and to answer your question” she said”yes and no Pooja and I watched jab tak hai Jaan the night before last I knew nothing of you before that and really I still don’t know anything about you.” ” good” he said seriously Cora looked confused “you can get to know me without the media influence.” He watched her face she was giving nothing away all the what ifs racing through his mind she didn’t want anything to do with him because he wasn’t white or American maybe she had a boyfriend she didn’t like muslims she started to talk pulling him from his thoughts “I would like to get to know Shah Rukh Khan the man, are you not working right now?” “Yes I am but filming is currently halted the weather has been bad lately so I have free time.” “For how long?” ” I don’t know.” Cora thought about it for a moment “then we should get started.” It was Shah Rukh’s turn to be confused “started?” Cora laughed ” getting to know each other if your time here is limited the we should get started now.” She got up and sat beside him on the couch she was about to say something when her cell rang she pulled it out of her it was Pooja ” hey Pooja we’re fine you don’t need to check” Pooja cut her off “Cora come to the office now and bring him with you.” With that she hung up.

Chapter eleven

Cora and Shah Rukh walked in to the meeting room of the human trafficking squad agent Martin,Williams and Pooja was waiting for the them. “Hello everyone, is everything ok? Cora asked she was trying to hide her uneasiness about this situation. “Let’s sit everyone.” Said agent Martin “and to answer your question Cora no everything is not alright. Everyone had taken a seat, but Shah Rukh remained standing “sir if this about last night and you changed your mind about putting me in jail I’d like to know now rather than later.” Agent Martin stood up “no, Mr. Khan I asked for you to be here because we would like your help. Can you sit now please?” Shah Rukh sat apprehensively and agent Martin began to tell them about the situation “this morning it was confirmed that the man we arrested last night was not the kidnapper he is in fact a rapist the Atlanta police are quite happy we caught him.” This news sank in for Cora and Shah Rukh they looked at each other with shock. “Which means Mr. Khan’s interference last night was probably a good thing, but a deeper problem has come up we have been contacted by the one we believe is the kidnapper. He would like to exchange the six women he has for” agent Martin pauses ” Cora.” Shah Rukh stands up so quickly that his chair crashes to the floor. “You can’t seriously be considering this” he yelled” you can’t just trade her like that he’ll sell her to someone she will be a slave for the rest of her life!” “Mr. Khan please sit down” Pooja said calmly “we do not intend to trade her we intend to bait him and arrest him. Shah Rukh took in a deep breath and relaxed picked up his chair and sat again. “Thank you” Pooja said ” the problem is in the fact that Cora can’t be apart of the operation since she is on mandatory leave and can’t help we will use a look a like and we would like you Mr. Khan to get her out of town. “Where would you like me to take her?” Shah Rukh asked ” the less we know the better.” Replies agent Martin “very well” says Shah Rukh now filled with purpose ” this is what we will do we will stay in contact through my agent and only through my agent and we will not be staying in one place so she will be harder to find. We will leave Atlanta as soon as possible I will have my agent contact you when we are safe. I will keep her safe and will only bring her back when the kidnapper is caught. Shah Rukh stood up and took Cora by the arm “we should leave now.” But Cora dug in her heels “wait a minute your not my boss you just can’t order me around like this.” “Yes he is.” Says agent Martin ” from now on you must do everything he says its for your own safety and thats an order.” Cora’s jaw clinched with anger over being left out of the decision making but she only replied “yes sir.” She allowed Shah Rukh to lead her out of the meeting room. As they headed toward the elevator Cora said ” let’s go by my apartment for somethings before we get your things.” “No, my bags are packed we’ll pick them up and go.” ” what about my clothes do you intend for me to walk around naked?” Cora said perturbed Shah Rukh raised an eyebrow his lips formed a wicked grin he didn’t know why but he didn’t feel shy around this woman. “As interesting as that would be no I’ll buy you whatever you need when we get there.” Where is there?” She asked ” I’m not telling you” he said ” it’s safer this way.” The elevator doors opened and they entered. “What do I tell my family?” She asked Shah Rukh felt a little guilty he had not considered her family he thought for a moment ” do you like sailing?” “Yes, why?” “Tell them your taking a sailboat around the world that you can’t call them but you’ll write.” Cora was impressed with his plan “ok I will let them know.” The elevator reached the lobby and they left for his hotel.

Chapter twelve

Cora waited in the car while Shah Rukh fetched his luggage and checked out of the hotel. It was different sitting in the back seat being drove around. while she waited she called her parents back in Oklahoma they was worried about her and didn’t understand why she was taking this trip she tried her best to ease their mind since she could not really tell them why but was not sure if she accomplished it. Shah Rukh returned to the car and got in, his driver put the luggage in the trunk. Cora noticed he had changed his clothes he was wearing a simple white T-shirt and dark jeans with boot and obviously put on cologne she thought to herself ” oh this man smells too good, girl control yourself.” Shah Rukh was also musing about how everything had turned out he was going to have this beautiful woman all to himself for at least awhile and all he could think about was burying his hands in her hair and kissing her soft lips but he had to control himself he wanted to do this right he wanted to get to know her first. Then the driver turned on the radio and he realized it was 12:30 ” What would you like for lunch?” Shah Rukh asked he didn’t know if she had breakfast. “Oh there is a great taco truck at Piedmont Park” she said ” I love grabbing a bench when the weather is this nice, unless you don’t like tacos or we don’t have time we can always eat something else.” She said softly he moved closer their noses was almost touching he moved the strand of hair that had fallen in her eyes he said equally soft “With me there will always be time if not I will make time this I promise you.” Cora head started to spin first he wanted her to get to know him the man then he got all bossy now he his being oh so seductive ” and” he said braking her train of thought ” I do like tacos” he sat back in his seat and told the drive where they wanted to go then they were on their way. Before they knew it they were sitting on a bench eating Shah Rukh was watching her face she looked young and yet she had the wisdom only life experience could bring. Shah Rukh asked cautiously “how old are you?” Cora burst into laughter Shah Rukh was unsure about her response ” how old do you think I am?” She asked with a big smile on her face Shah Rukh hesitated “your mid twenties?” “Wrong.” She said still smiling “I’m thirty.” “And you know how old I am?” Shah Rukh said looking down at the ground afraid to meet her eyes “yes.” She replied “while you was checking out of the hotel I looked up your stats such as date of birth, hometown, current residents and I’ll let you fill me in on everything else.” Shah Rukh looked at Cora unsure how to proceed ” so the age difference doesn’t bother you?” “No” she replied”not today and I don’t know how I will feel let’s say thirty days from now, but today it doesn’t bother me. Does it bother you?” Shah Rukh shook his head no Cora smile mischievously “are you prepared for thirty days with Agent Cora Adeline McKinney?” Shah Rukh laughed “considering that I’m not a morning person are you ready for thirty nights with Shah Rukh Khan the King of Bollywood?” “Hmmm” Cora said “thirty nights with the King sounds like an interesting adventure.

Chapter thirteen

Shah Rukh and Cora sat at the terminal waiting for the flight to where she didn’t know because “Mr. Khan” she thought angrily ” had to go all bossy again he thinks I don’t need to know I should just trust him! trust him I’ve only known him for a day!” She gave him a dirty look just to make sure he knew how unhappy she was with him but was disappointed because he wasn’t even looking. Shah Rukh wasn’t happy with her either “I’m just trying to protect her doesn’t she understand her live is in danger she could be killed or worse some monster of a man could force himself on her till he got bored with her and then sells her to someone else” that thought horrified him causing him to clinch his to keep his emotions in check. It was hard to believe in the course of a day she put his life above hers and never held it against him showed such overwhelming compassion she not only understood his witty sarcastic and sometimes naughty sense of humor that so many tend to take the wrong way but she seem to have it as well. “Yet after all that she is angry with me all I want it to do take care of her to keep her safe at a moment like this I wish I could talk to my parents.” At this thoughts he became somber his father would say something like ” Shah don’t be angry, have you talk with her? be gentle if your not seeing through her eyes don’t think that she can see through yours.” Shah Rukh was about to apologize for not confiding in her when their flight was called ” United flight 412 from Atlanta to New York is now boarding we will begin with business class.” Shah Rukh and Cora stood up and walked to the attendant Shah Rukh took the tickets out of his leather bag handing them to the attendant who scanned the tickets and said ” have a nice flight Mr. Khan” they enter plane and sat down in first class this was another first for Cora not to say that she had never flown before but never in first class. One of the flight attendants a pretty redhead stopped to asked if she could get them anything but she seem to act as if Shah Rukh was the only one there yet he either didn’t notice or didn’t care and replied “no thank you” Cora watched the redhead as she stored the leather bag and Cora’s purse she was pouting really pouting Cora fought laughter and wondered “does he have this affect on all women?” Shah Rukh took her hand looked deeply into her eyes ” I’m sorry for not telling you about my plans earlier my only thought was to protect you but I realize that being an FBI agent you do know how to handle yourself, so from now on I promise to include you. Let me begin with we are going to New York” Cora started to interrupt but he raised a hand to halt her ” we will be staying at my apartment in the city I’ve already contacted the caretaker so my staff will be there and the kitchen will be stocked and if your up to it i’ll take you shopping tonight for whatever you need. I’m scheduled to attend a fan event tomorrow afternoon it would make me happy if you would come with me. Cora smiled “yes to the shopping and the fan event” Shah Rukh smiled back and squeezed her hand. the captain began to speak “ladies and gentleman this is your captain please turn off all electronic devices store them and fasten your seat belts the attendants will give you the emergency flight instructions.” The flight attendants gave the emergency instructions and they took off. Shah Rukh asked her “where are you from?” “Oklahoma on a farm out in Rogers County.” “How did a farm girl become an FBI Agent?” She took a deep breath ” when I was in college at OSU it was my senior year I was majoring in psychology , my best friend was kidnapped and held for a week before she escaped he did unspeakable things to her and after she found out she was pregnant she took her own life.” Cora paused fighting the tears ” it was after that I no longer felt called to be a doctor I applied to the Tulsa police department and was accept, I was on the force four years when I was assigned to work undercover for the detectives who was tasked to take down a possible human trafficking ring working in Tulsa and Oklahoma City we didn’t have any good leads for almost two years and after all the arrests were made and the trials over I was approached by an FBI agent to join the agency and I joined a year and a half ago I went through my six months of training and a year of being a probationary agent only to get wounded on my first day as a full agent.” Shah Rukh looked at her in surprise ” it was your first day?” “as a full agent yes now it’s your turn to tell your life story.” “Ok, here goes” Shah Rukh talked about growing up in Delhi his school life about his fathers cancer and death when he was fifteen then his mothers sudden death when he was twenty his stage career his tv serials and his decision at twenty five to move him and his sister to what was then Bombay and now Mumbai his first movie in 1992 at twenty six and the success as well as the ups and downs that come with it and the joy of buying his first home in 2001 that he called Mannat. Then unexpected the captain came over the speaker announcing their decent at JFK international airport and it was only then did Cora realize he had held her hand the whole flight.


Chapter fourteen

By the time they collected Shah Rukh’s luggage and and got into the latest rental car it was 7:10 the sun had gone down and Cora wondered what would come first food or shopping. Her wonderings was answered when the driver handed Shah Rukh a basket and he opened it handing Cora a bottle of water and had a Pepsi for himself he also pulled out two chicken salad sandwiches and two bags of veggie chips handing one of each to Cora and closed the basket then handing back to the driver. “Where did the food come from?” She thought. As if sensing her thoughts he said ” I talked to my cook before the flight and asked her to have something made for us since we need to do some shopping before heading to the apartment, I hope you like it.” Cora took a bite of the sandwich it was incredibly delicious as the car headed toward Manhattan they both ate in silence. “Shah Rukh where are we going?” Cora asked as she wiped the crumbs off her jeans “we’re going to D and G and maybe Saks if we have the time.” “Seriously?” Cora said in shock ” I can’t afford to look at those shops much less buy anything.” “And who said you was paying?” Shah Rukh said rather dejected ” can’t you except a gift from a friend?” Cora looked down at her hands ” yes I can I just don’t want you to because you think you must.” Shah Rukh scooted closer ” I want to” and with a mischievous smile ” and you should take advantage of a very rich man wanting to spend money on you.” Before she could retort the car came to a stop and Shah Rukh exited the car offering his hand to help her out. As they they walked into the store Cora felt giddy and in a matter of
two hours she tried on six pairs of jeans, five pairs of slacks, seven tops, and four dresses. Shah Rukh readily gave his opinion on the clothes she modeled for him till Cora mentioned shopping for undergarments which apparently embarrassed him to the point of blushing and Cora found that quite interesting since she had never seen a grown man blush before she had an inner urge to harass him about it but the thought better of it least it spoil the mood. Cora wrapped up her shopping and met Shah Rukh back at the register where he stood behind talking to a gorgeous tall redhead ” what is it with redheads lately.” She thought and they was so wrapped up in their conversation that they didn’t notice Cora standing there. Cora glanced at the woman’s name tag ” Ruby, oh poor dear her parents went for ironic .” Just then Ruby laughed and placed a hand on Shah Rukh’s arm and didn’t remove it. Cora felt a suddenly pang of jealousy “I have no right to feel this way it’s not like he is mine.” Cora cleared her throat and Ruby gave her such a look that one would think lasers was about to turn her to ashes. Cora placed the undergarments on the counter and looked ever so sweetly at Shah Rukh ” I have everything I need I’m ready to go home.” She said trying to keep a straight face Ruby looked from Cora to Shah Rukh trying to determine the truth of the matter Shah Rukh blushed but said nothing. Ruby rang up the items whilst sizing Cora up she placed the bags on the counter Shah Rukh picked them up “have a good night Mr. Khan.” Said Ruby and with that they left the store.

Chapter fifteen

Shah Rukh showed Cora to her room it was white and blue-grey and quite spacious as she was admiring the room Shah Rukh shut the door and leaned against it gazing at Cora rather pensively as she moved across the room to place the shopping bags on the bed and went to the walk in closet in search of hangers for her new clothes on finding them returned to the bed realizing that Shah Rukh was still there she halted unsure of his intent wild thoughts ran through her mind maybe she was wrong about him what if he wasn’t a gentleman what if he expected some form of payment for everything he was doing for her. But he just stood there watching her if she could read his mind she would be the one blushing because he was contemplating two thing either kiss her with passionate joy realizing she must have some feelings for him or put her over his knee for acting that way with Ruby who was just a fan if she couldn’t handle the attention of one fan tonight what would she do tomorrow with dozens of women hugging him and kissing his cheek and taking pictures with him. He made up his mind walked to her and tried to pull her into his arms but she stiffened up his hands gripped her arms he whispered huskily into her right ear “I’m only going to kiss you but only if you want me too.” He let her go she reached up and wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled him closer a smile graced his lips before they met her’s he buried his hands in her hair deepening the kiss moan escaped her lips setting him on fire he pulled his left hand from her hair lowering it and give her backside a swift smack she yelped pulled away from him walking backwards to put space between them and screamed “what the hell was that?” “Your punishment.” He calmly stalked her across the room she almost tripped over the ottoman when he reached out and grabbed her and did the move he had seen in the movies and always wanted to try he bent her back leaned over and kissed her fiercely possessively till she stopped fighting him an clung to him as if her life depended on it he then pulled her back up and hugged her “tomorrow” he whispered “if you feel jealous with all those women around just remember this and know that none of them will ever have a moment like this.” She put her arms around his waist and laid her head on his chest he smelled so good and he was so warm no one had ever affected her the way he could she just wanted to stay like this forever. The clock on the mantle began to chime causing them to look at it the time was midnight. Shah Rukh kissed her softly then said “I have some work things I must do before tomorrow so I must say goodnight.” He pulled away and walked to the door looked back and gave her dimpled smile then left. Cora stood there shaken to her very core “did that really just happen?” She thought bewildered “how can he have such power over me I should me angry with him for spanking me like that but I think …. I’m falling …. No it’s not possible it’s only been a day … She sank to the floor tears swam in her eyes I love Shah Rukh Khan I never thought I would have these feelings for anyone ever again tomorrow I have to tell him. As she return to hanging her close she said to herself ” so ends the first night with the king, oh lord protect me if he does that again tomorrow night it might not stop with kissing.”

Chapter sixteen

Shah Rukh was on the phone discussing the film with Rohit ” their forecasting the rain to stop by the end of the week” said Rohit “then the crew will be cleaning up for a couple of days so I’ll need you back Thursday we should be able to get back to filming then,ok Shah?” “Yes, that works for me. I’m flying out to Dubai tomorrow night after my fan event so I won’t be reachable till sometime Friday.” “Alright I’ll keep you updated, bye” “bye”. Shah Rukh’s shoulder was killing him he took his pain meds if his sister was here she could massage it for him but he had the next best thing the hot tub on the roof. Shah Rukh changed into his swimming shorts and and flip flops grabbed a towel and headed to the elevator. Cora couldn’t sleep so she went to the roof she missed the stars and in a city like New York the only stars you could see was people, what kept her up was wondering how Shah Rukh would react to her past. She was so lost in her thoughts that when the elevator dinged its arrival she was oblivious. Shah Rukh stepped off the elevator and realized he was not alone he couldn’t see her very well in the low lighting and didn’t want to startle her so he cleared his throat she turned around and both of them froze “Ya Allah” Shah Rukh said unintentionally aloud he hoped she was wearing something under that brown robe. Cora looked down blushing and wished she had stayed in bed, then she noticed the way he was holding his right arm ” are you ok?” She said with concern “I’ll be fine” he tried to brush it off as nothing but he could tell by the look on her face she wasn’t buying it. ” I tore my rotator cuff last month during filming” he said flatly “then why are you going for a swim?” She said rather motherly ” I’m not just the hot tub.” “Oh, i see come on.” She began to walk toward the in ground hot tub. “Your not getting in wearing that” he said firmly “I’m not” she said “I’m going to sit on the edge behind you and massage your shoulder.” He had to clinch his jaw to keep his mouth from flying open he did not think this was a good idea considering how she affected him but the need to relieve his discomfort overrode his hesitation. He walk over and stepped down into the hot tub and sat down Cora took his towel and place it on the tile behind him a little to his right she sat on it and put her legs under his arms her right foot touched his chest he looked down at her toes she had red polish with black tips “interesting” he whispered “what did you say?” “Nothing” she began to massage his shoulder he stiffed up from the pain ” relax just concentrate on my voice” she whispered into his ear “so tell me why your not married and surrounded by children?” ” I’m to shy to talk to women and if I do I’m not very good at expressing myself.” He said through gritted teeth she had a look of disbelief on her face but he couldn’t see it. “But you talk with me just fine” “yesterday morning I was not so fine as you put it but you seem to know how to pull me out of my shell so to speak.” “So you’ve never been in love? She asked unsure is she should broach the subject ” no” he replied” I’ve liked a few but it never went anywhere. You?” He felt her stiffen and knew the answer before she spoke “yes.” “When?” “Six years ago, the police force hosted a self defense course for women once a year and I volunteered to help with the course that’s how I met Grant he was an MMA fighter his sister had been raped and after that he taught women self defense. We had dated for eight months when he asked me to marry him.” Shah Rukh started to interrupt but she said “just let me finish, we would have been married on April 12, 2008, but two weeks before the wedding he was taking me home after a church cook out a drunk driver ran a red light and hit Grant’s car I was with him and I was” she pause he felt her start to shake and felt her tears fall on his shoulder he stood up climbed out of the hot tub and scooped her up into his arms “Shah Rukh” she said through her sobs ” Shhhhh” he said softly he walked over to the patio couch he sat down and sat her on his lap her arms went around his neck she laid her head on his shoulder and cried he wrapped his arms around her and did his best to comfort her. When her sobs lessened he put a finger under her chin so her eyes met his ” and you were?” He asked ” ten weeks pregnant, she said so softly he barely heard her”the force of the accident caused me to loose the baby immediately and Grant was in a coma two days before he passed away.” Ya Allah.” He whispered “what does that mean?” She asked ” it means oh God, one says it when their in need.” he said as he stroked her hair “you said it earlier.” He laughed “yes, I needed help controlling myself.” “And now?” “I want to give you everything, a fulfilling marriage and as many little ones as Allah sees fit to give us.”They talked about the future till Shah Rukh realized Cora was asleep he picked her up and she mumbled something in her sleep he walked to the elevator he took her back to the apartment and laid her on his bed and laid down beside her his alarm clock read 3:47 his head hit the pillow and he fell asleep.

Chapter seventeen

Cora woke up as the soft rays of the rising sun began to shine through the window an alarm clock on the table beside her read 6:24. She slowly became aware that this was not her room and she did not know how she got there. She sat up and saw Shah Rukh lying next to her on his back his right arm on his chest his left above his head the bed sheet was at his waist leaving his upper body bare she memorized every visible inch from his rock hard abs to his long black hair and all points in between.She thought about yesterday it was like a dream a dream that she was beginning to wish never happened her heart was telling her to go for it but her mind said that it would never work that their worlds were to far apart. “I wish mom was here or at least Pooja I need help working through this its not a Disney princess story or Hindi romance film.” But in that moment watching him sleep she remembering how sweet and kind he was when she told him about Grant and the baby how he held her when she cried she sighed and then she let her mind and heart met in the middle so to speak both had valid points it could all go badly or they could live happily ever after she smiles at that thought and decides to just let it all go for the next twenty eight days be happy have fun make the most it and in the end if they went their separate way than at least she could say she had quite the adventure. Cora leaned down and kissed his cheek slipped out of bed tip toed across the room relieved that the door made no sound then went to her room across the hall. Cora laid out her clothes before she took a shower a pair of tan skinny capris a coral lace top and a tan jacket with white lapels and cuffs then she went to the bathroom to shower and found two bags on the vanity filled with everything a women needed for bathing, hair and personal care and makeup perfect for her fair skin even products for that special time of the month. Then she saw a note and read it ” Shah Rukh told me you had to leave town suddenly and didn’t have anything, so I hope this makes up for my rude behavior any friend of his is a friend of mine. Yours truly, Ruby . Cora was absolutely floored “when did this come ?” she felt a little guilty that she had miss judged her and hoped she would get the opportunity to thank her. Cora showered dressed and headed to the kitchen where wonderful smells was coming from an older woman stood in front of the stove and smiled when she saw Cora and motioned for her to sit at the breakfast bar behind the stove Cora sat on one of the stools the woman introduced herself ” good morning I’m Elizabeth but everyone calls me Lizzie I’m Mr. Khan’s housekeeper slash cook I made apple filled crepes would you like one or two and do you prefer coffee or tea?” “One and tea please.” Replied Cora. Lizzie served her a crepe with a sprinkling of powdered sugar and poured her a cup of tea from a pot that was already made. Cora took a bite and went straight to heaven ” Lizzie this is so good it’s the best crepe I’ve ever eaten.” Lizzie smiled with pride and said “your luggage will be delivered sometime this morning. would you like me to pack your things?” ” luggage?pack for what?” Cora said with confusion “for your flight tonight didn’t Mr. Khan tell you?” Cora sat back on the stool and crossed her arms ” no, he did not.” Shah Rukh sat in the car on the way to the Planet SRK fan meet and greet he watched Cora mystified as to why she would not talk to him or look at him he could tell by the tension in her face that she was angry maybe she wasn’t happy about waking up in his room if so life with this woman was not going to be easy if she got so angry about small things it would obviously take a lot of work to keep her happy. The car arrived at the Hilton and Cora got out of the car walking briskly to avoid the media and Shah Rukh if she had to look at him her anger might explode on him and she knew she would regret it after. On entering the lobby it wasn’t hard to find the fan event Cora was taken by surprise by the mixed fan base she was expecting mostly Indians and yet this man’s talent seems to have an effect on the whole world. A silence fell over the ballroom she didn’t have to look to know why and as if in one voice they began to scream Shah Rukh over and over he reached the platform and picked up the microphone he greeted everyone with his dimpled smile which excited the crowd even more “thank you all for coming today I’m honored to be here and receiving all this love you’re giving me I would not be where I am today if it were not for the love of my fans I hope that I get to meet every single one of you and maybe we will all do a dance later.” With that said the crowd cheered Shah Rukh left the platform and began to mingle with the fans. Cora was torn between wanting to stay hidden in the crowd and wanting to watch him interact with his fans she decided to stay out of his line of sight. A young woman in her mid twenties wearing a lovely lavender sun dress with cream polka dots approached Shah Rukh she had short brown hair and as she came closer Shah Rukh realized she had the deepest chocolate brown eyes he had ever seen she introduced herself ” Hello, Mr. Khan my name is Allie.” ” nice to meet you Allie please call me Shah Rukh.” to his credit he gave Allie his heart stopping dimpled smile. ” so where are you from Allie?” Shah Rukh asked ” outside of Washington D.C.” She replied she was holding a rolled up movie poster “would you like me to sign it” Shah Rukh asked “yes” Allie replied Shah Rukh and Allie unrolled the poster Shah Rukh noted it was an Om Shanti Om poster he signed it to Allie lots of love Shah Rukh Khan. He gave her a hug and turn his attention to the woman next to her she was tall and thin with long black hair that fell across her right shoulder she had the same skin tone as Shah Rukh she wore a white peasant style top that hung off her right shoulder and was embroidered with pink flowers and had on a pair of black slacks Shah Rukh smile at her “and what would your name be?” “Shereen.” She smiled and her face lite up “That’s a beautiful name, would you like me to sign that?” He asked pointing to the poster in her hands “Yes, please.” She unrolled it and it was a Veer and Zaara poster he signed it to my dear Shereen lots of love Shah Rukh Khan. He hugged Shereen and his cell rang it was his agent he answered ” hello, everything ok? “No Shah it’s not I got a call from the FBI and the attempt to get the kidnapped women back failed and the look a like was killed they believe he is coming after agent Mackiney he was spotted getting on a plane for New York three hours ago the FBI agents there tried to find him but he seems to have disappeared .” Shah Rukh hung up he got back on the platform and scanned the room for Cora he spotted her heading toward the bathroom he got down and headed her direction before he could reach her someone on a black hoody grabbed her from behind and forced her into the woman’s bathroom.

Chapter eighteen

Shah Rukh tried not to panic as he pushed his way to the bathroom ” oh God please don’t let him hurt her” he thought he walked in the bathroom to find that Cora had the man pinned to the floor with a gun to the back of his head “perfect timing Shah Rukh will you please alert hotel security and have them call the FBI it seems we have an interesting case here.” Shah Rukh just stood there staring at her in shock ” Shah Rukh!” she yelled bringing him him back to the present he turned around and walked out of the bathroom and motioned to a security officer who walked over “we have a kidnapper in the woman’s bathroom an FBI agent has him in custody but she needs back up.” The security officer spoke into his radio and told the hotel desk to call the police and FBI then walked into the bathroom. Shah Rukh stood outside the bathroom thinking he didn’t know what to do she obviously could handle herself she didn’t need him those words really sunk in she did not need him and the only thing he could think to do now was go back to interacting with his fans he didn’t want to disappoint anyone. Cora walked out of the women’s bathroom she expected Shah Rukh to be there but he was nowhere to be seen after having to grapple with a with a man almost twice her size and then he pulled out a gun if it were not for her years of hand to hand training she would have not had the upper hand. And right now she just wanted a hug she thought to herself ” I could have died twice this week and Mr. Sexy with his shirt partially unbuttoned tight jeans hair that makes you want to run your fingers through it those beautiful eyes and wicked smile that makes every woman weak in the knees is not here when I need him” she said aloud “I need him” those words hit her like a fist she hadn’t allowed herself to need anyone in years tears started to run down her face a woman about Shah Rukh’s height with long blond hair was about to walk by Cora but seeing Cora’s current state stopped ” sweetheart are you ok?” She asked and this bit of kindness was the last straw Cora burst into sobs. Suddenly she felt strong arms wrap around her and pull her close and he placed his chin on top of her head “is there somewhere more private that I can take her? Shah Rukh asked the woman standing by Cora “I’m not sure but you can take her to my room in this hotel for a minute if that helps.” Her blue eyes filled with concern “Yes thank you….” ” Debbie” thank you Debbie.” Debbie handed Shah Rukh her card key ” its on the third floor room 302.” Shah Rukh led Cora to the elevator and went up to the room. He turned his back to shut the door when he turned around she slapped him he grabbed her wrist she tried to slap him with the other but he grabbed it first “what are you so mad about?” He said slowly and angrily ” first, you promised to tell me everything about your plan but you left out Dubai. Second, I needed you and you wasn’t there ” “you didn’t need me you had everything under control.” I needed you after I needed you to tell me everything was ok I could have died twice in one week and I needed you to make me feel safe again, but you wasn’t there. She pulled away from him put her fingers through his hair and pulled him down to her she kissed him fiercely angrily and he return her kiss passionately she moved her hands to his shirt and began to unbutton it he stopped her “are you sure you want this?” He asks gently “I love you with all the pieces of my broken heart” she said with her emotions shining in her eyes “I’ve lost so much but since I’ve been with you I feel whole again.” He held her face in his hands “I love you too but when I make love to you it will be in my bed not a hotel room that belongs to someone else when I make love to you you will be mine not for a night but for a lifetime when I make love to you you will be my wife.” Shah Rukh kissed her then walked over to the table picked up the note pad and pin and wrote to Debbie lot of love Shah Rukh Khan

Chapter nineteen

Shah Rukh was worried, annoyed and confused five days ago Cora had confessed her love and he his but when they went back to the fan event that’s when things got secretive Pooja and Agent Martin was waiting for Cora but Agent William wasn’t there whatever they talked about left Cora shaken Pooja had given Cora a small metal case that looked like a small briefcase and a tote bag filled with something but Cora refused to tell him what was in the case or the bag. It had been four days since they arrived in Dubai after the sixteen hour trip. He had invited Suzanne Roshan and the kids to act as a chaperon and help prepare her for that craziness that comes with being around a star like him in India but for reasons that had yet to be explained to him Cora had locked herself in her room since they arrived and the only person she would see is Suzanne who brought her meals and who insisted everything would be okay and that Cora understood they would be going to India and that she wasn’t mad at him at this time. Shah Rukh sat in the media room watching the international news report “Good evening its Monday april the 22 shocking report at press statement today by the FBI one of their own has been implicated as a crime boss involved in the sex trade and human trafficking Agent Benjamin Williams is currently on the run after his brother Bradley Williams was arrested by FBI last Wednesday after an attempted kidnapping in New York City at a fan event for Indian actor Shahrukh Khan. This news was shocking for the NYPD whom Benjamin Williams worked for five years before becoming an FBI agent. We will report more on this story as information comes to light.” Shah Rukh turned off the television and sat there for a moment she knew she had too know he stood up and headed toward her room he wanted answers and he was going to get them whether she liked it or not. He stood in front of her door and heard laughter coming from the other side he started pounding on the door and yelling” Cora open this door right now I” the door open Cora looked at him with her eye brows raised and asked “tuma mujhas" pyār karat" hō?” He stared at her not able to comprehend how she could suddenly speak hindi “kyā tuma?” She asked he leaned against the door frame a soft smile touched his lips “bahuta jyādā hām.” She smiled back briefly ” you want to know about Ben Williams?” He reach out and wrapped an arm around her waist and pulled her to him whispered into her ear ” yes, but I want to know more about you and why you haven’t left your room in four days.” She laughed softly “oh I have left my room but only when you were asleep.” “Why?” He moaned into her ear she smiled mischievously “because if you saw me in that itty bitty bikini that you bought you would never be able to control yourself and I’m just helping you.” “When did I ask for this help?” He said annoyed ” when we agreed to wait till our wedding night.” She said quite calmly “Shah hands off she is not yours yet and from what she tells me you haven’t even proposed.” Suzanne said with her arms crossed walking toward them. Shah Rukh threw his hands up in frustration ” I’ve decided to remain a bachelor ever since I met you a week ago my life has been pagal absolutely pagal who needs a wife anyway!” He started to walk away but Cora caught his right hand ” can I at least have a kiss before you storm off Mr. Khan? Shah Rukh looked at Suzanne who turned her back to them but didn’t walk away. He picked Cora up and spun her around she giggled he pulled her down to him and began to kiss her passionately till Suzanne cleared her throat he set Cora back down and hugged her to him ” Please don’t go a day without talking to me again I’ve been going crazy without you. So then me about the brothers.” Cora lead him to the living room and sat down and pulled him down beside her. she began telling him that “Ben had been raised to be a spy for the family and that the brothers used their mother’s maiden name that’s how Ben climbed so high in law enforcement and because of that he was able to tell the family what the police then the FBI knew about the family’s criminal enterprise and protect the family by destroying evidence” “Want is in the case and bag?” He asked “the case holds my gun and the bag Pooja’s Hindi movies most of which are your’s.” he looks amused “so for the past four days you’ve been watching movies and cleaning your gun?” ” Yes and practicing my Hindi with Suzanne.” “Do you think he will come after you?” “No, he should know better than that.” “So, what was you watching before I came banging on your door? “Main Hoon Na, you are so cute” she pinched his cheeks and he blushed and looked down shyly ” you really are an artist who paints with words and emotions not on canvas but hearts its no wonder so many love you.” He reach out and caressed her cheek “I love them too” she looked confused “But you are the only one I’m in love with.”

Chapter twenty

There is a saying there a two ways to skin a cat, but this plan had nothing to do with cats but it did have everything to do with the beautiful woman who destroyed his life. He was going to make her pay slowly and painfully he had worked too hard his whole life to have her come along and in one week take away everything he built for his family. His brother wanted her for a client who had a thing for short blonds and was in the market for a new companion and he fully intended to keep his bother’s deal since the client had paid half already but he wanted to break her first and the best way to do that is attack the heart. He watched her from a neighbor’s house no one was home so he made himself comfortable she was in the pool wearing a black bikini if he he didn’t hate her so much he would have considered keeping her for himself he noticed a side door to Mr. Khan’s house open and Mr. Khan himself came creeping out of the house obviously he was not invited to this morning’s swim he snuck up behind her while she was toweling off and covered her mouth with his hand to keep her from screaming she fought his embrace till he whispered something in her ear then she blushed and turned around stood on her tippy toes and kissed him.

Chapter twenty one

Shah Rukh tried to remember the last time he deliberately got up before nine it had been years and yet there he stood in his black pajama pants at 7:50 in the morning coffee in hand watching Cora swim he was confused as to why she thought if he saw her he would not be able to control himself she would not be the first woman he ever saw in a bikini but as he watched her body glide through the water he felt his temp rise his mouth went dry and want replaced all rational thought he sat down the coffee cup and headed outside. The morning sun was beating down the temp was in the upper eighties and it was only eight in the morning. Cora felt uneasy this morning as if she was being watched she tried to enjoy her swim but she just could not shake the feeling. She got out of the pool grabbed her towel and began to dry off when someone grabbed her from behind he placed his hand over her mouth she struggled till Shah Rukh whispered into her ear “have you watched Don yet my jungli billi?” Cora gasped the way he said it was so Don she blushed turned around stood on her tippy toes and kissed him. ” I’ll take that as a yes.” He picked her up and the both landed on the pool lounge chair he hovered over her as she lay beneath him “you’re right I can’t control myself.” He said as he kissed her neck “Shah you…” I what?” ” you….” “I?…” “promised.” She said breathless he stopped his breath heavy he moved and sat at the end of the chair ” she knelt behind him put her arms around his neck placed her right hand on his chest above his heart. ” I love you Shah Rukh and I don’t want our relationship to be based on sex it’s like building a house on sand the first storm and it falls.” He reach up with his left hand and took her right their fingers intwined above his heart “I love you too but right now I just was to kidnap a priest make you my wife and be done with this waiting.” He sighed ” I guess there is only one thing I can do.” He released her hand stood up held out his hand for her she took it apprehensively wondering what he had in mind she kept telling herself he would never hurt her. They walked into the house and Shah Rukh led her to the private family room “stay here I’ll be right back” he instructed and left the room. Cora looked around she hadn’t been in this room before there was a huge flat screen tv that seem to be connected to the PlayStation gaming system and a couple of gamer chairs sat in front of it. There was shelves of board games and a small library of books and at the far end of the room in front of the fireplace stood a small table with a black and white marble chess set Cora picked up one of the black chess pieces and felt the coolness of the marble she looked up at the picture above the fireplace it was an old black and white it looked like a couple on their wedding day the man looked a bit like Shah Rukh or it should be said that Shah Rukh looks like him she knew they must be his parents. Her musses was broken by a hand wrapping around her waist ” Cora allow me to introduce you to my parents Lateef Fatima and Taj Mohammed Khan.” Cora looked at his face then back to the photo “They look so happy.” “They was they loved each other very much.” “Was it an arrangement?” “No it was a love match my mom had been a car accident and needed blood. My father, who happened to be in the hospital at that time, gave her blood. That is how they fell in love. And though he was about eleven years older, her family consented to their marriage because he had saved her life.” He sighed and closed his eyes trying to keep his emotions in check ” I got up early this morning to make a phone call.” He looked into her eyes and took hands ” I spoke with your father and told him about my intentions” her face resonated shock ” he informed me that even though he understood my eagerness to get engaged he expected a long engagement and advises we take that time to really get to know each other.” Shah Rukh pulled a small black leather box out of his pocket and went down on one and looked up at her. ” Cora Adeline McKinney I love you more than I thought I could ever love anyone I love you, not only for what you are, but for what I am when I am with you. I love you, not only for what you have made of yourself but for what you are making of me” Cora started to cry as he open the box ” will you marry me?”


Chapter twenty two

Cora said a barely audible “yes” Shah Rukh smiled still on one knee “I’m sorry I didn’t quite get that.” She laughed “yes” “no still not sure.” He teased this time she yelled “YESSS!!” He laughed stood up pulled the ring out of the box and slipped it on her finger. Suzanne came in to the room still wearing her pajamas “what’s with the yelling?” Then saw their lack of clothing “what’s going on in here?” Cora showed her the ring “oh nothing we just engaged!” Suzanne walked over and hugged Cora then Shah Rukh “congratulations to you both.” ” thank you” Cora said ” I’m going to change then start breakfast” she kissed Shah Rukh on the cheek then walked out of the room. Suzanne looked at Shah Rukh with a serious expression on her face ” Shah we need to talk.” He sat down in one of the chess table chairs “about what?” He said calmly “you can’t be serious about marrying her she is a non indian, have you considered what this will do to your career? What your fans will do?” Shah Rukh did not reply ” not to mention what the media will do to her when the word of this gets out they will eat her alive hound her night and day she” Shah Rukh interrupted “she will be fine she is a lot stronger than you think and if it hurts my career then I’ll find something else to do, if I have to leave India to protect her then I will, but” he said with conviction “I will never leave her I will never stop loving her she will be my wife no matter what anyone says or does.” He stood up “I appreciate your concern I really do but everything will be fine we had better go Cora’s cooking breakfast this morning.” Cora had changed into her black maxi dress with the red chevron on the skirt her red leather belt and red roman sandals she looked at her right shoulder it was healing nicely she needed to get the stitches out maybe tomorrow after they got settled at Mannat. A smile touched her lips as she looked at the ring it was breath taking a large black diamond set on a black gold band encrusted with white diamonds she walked in to the kitchen not seeing the man waiting for her “that must have cost him a pretty penny.” Cora looked up in surprise ” Ben what are you doing here?” He walked toward her “I’ve come for you” he laughs as she backs away.”you’ve caused me a lot of trouble and I intend to make you pay” he pulled a gun from the waist of his pants “of course I have to start with Mr. Khan if he had not gotten involved in the first place you wouldn’t have to watch him die” Cora scoffed and stood her ground “you actually think I’d let you hurt anyone?” “Oh you know how unpredictable things can get.” Running the gun down her arm ” and look who has come to join the party welcome Mr. Khan.” Shah Rukh walked into the kitchen unaware of what was transpiring till he saw Cora with Ben and a gun pointed at him. There was a gun shot Shah Rukh flinched but felt no pain he looked at Ben who was on the ground with Cora standing over him holding the gun Shah Rukh laughed ” woman you never cease to amaze.” She raised the gun and shot Ben in the heart he died instantly ” Cora why did …?” He stopped as she turned around and he saw what happen with the first bullet there was a hole in the dress in the area of her belly and she was loosing blood fast she started to fall but he caught her and laid her on the tiled floor and screamed for Suzanne who came running into the kitchen with a horrified look on her face “call for an ambulance now!” He yelled Suzanne made a call on her cell Shah Rukh put a kitchen towel over the wound trying to stop the bleeding “why would you do this?” He asked Cora reached up and caressed his cheek she spoke slowly “because your fans would never forgive me.” She moaned and closed her eyes “Cora wake up I can’t loose you, Cora!?” The medics had arrived and loaded Cora into the ambulance one of the medic informed him that she was being taken to Al Zahara hospital it was the closest Cora’s cell phone which was laying on the kitchen table began to ring Shah Rukh looked at it Pooja was calling he pick up the cell and said “what is Cora’s blood group?” He asked flatly “why” asked Pooja “just answer me!” He yelled “Her blood type is B+. Shah Rukh what is going on?” “Ben Williams shot Cora.” Then he hung up and headed to the hospital he didn’t care that his white shirt was stained with her blood.

Chapter Twenty three

Shah Rukh was sitting in the waiting room Cora had been in the O.R. for three hours and he had yet to been given any word on her condition since a doctor asked about her blood type and said she would need transfusions he had donated his blood and now the waiting was eating him alive “God, I’m trusting you with Cora’s life I know you brought us together for a reason and you won’t let her die before our life together started please give me strength.” Pooja had called once an hour since he told her what happened and Rohit had called twice as did his agent his sister and numerous friends but he didn’t want to talk to anyone. A nurse sat on the chair beside his she handed him a small plastic bag Shah Rukh took it and realized that Cora’s ring was inside the bag “why is she not wearing her ring?” He asked as rolled the ring between his fingers watching the way the lights made it sparkle the nurse answered saying ” no one is allow to wear jewelry of any kind in the O.R. it’s a safety issue.” She paused for a moment Shah Rukh looked at her his eyes full of pain and tears he was fighting not to shed “what is your name?” he asked her ” My name is Mira and you should know sir that what happened at your house is all over the news and if I may speak on behalf of your fans everywhere we are all praying for her recovery and happiness for you both.” “Thank you,Do you know how she is doing?” “No sir I Don’t but let me talk to someone who might and I’ll come tell you if I find out anything.” Shah Rukh sighed “thank you” with that Mira went back to work. Shah Rukh went outside to pray he had been praying for an hour when Mira found him “she is stable and out of surgery she has been moved to ICU for observation if she remains stable and improves she will be move to a regular room.” Shah Rukh looked like the weight of the world was off his shoulders “can I see her.” “Yes, but you need to clean up first.” Pointing out the fact that he was still wearing the blood stained shirt “I can get you some scrubs to change into after you shower” Mira lead Shah Rukh to the staff showers gave him a pair of scrubs and a bag for his clothes “after your done wait for me here and I’ll take you to her” Shah Rukh nods and Mira leaves him to clean himself up. Shah Rukh strips his clothes off and places them in the bag except for his shoes and cell he places them by the scrubs and steps in to the shower turns on the water and let’s his emotions flow freely “Ya Allah” he says with a ragged breath he places his hands on the tiled wall of the shower and let’s the tears and his thoughts flow just five hours ago she had agreed to be his wife now she lay in some hospital bed fighting for her life because a criminal singled her out as the cause of his down fall when she is well enough they will be getting married and he will be hiring a bodyguard to keep her from saving his life all the time. He began to wonder what she would choose to wear on the wedding day an american traditional white dress or red Indian dress thinking of her like this lightened his heart he finished his shower dried off put on the scrubs and shoes and waited outside the shower room for Mira. Mira had just finished checking on her patients and went to get Mr. Khan she truly hope the woman was going to make it after all these years it was nice to see him finally settling down and starting a family and it was nice to know that all the rumors about him being gay are unfounded. Mira found Shah Rukh leaning against the wall outside the staff showers his eyes were closed she hesitated not sure if she should disturb him for a second she wished she could click his picture and that someday he should be in a movie as a doctor because this look was too good to waste. Mira approached Shah Rukh and cleared her throat he opened his eyes and looked relieved that it was her “this way sir.” Shah Rukh followed her up to the next floor to ICU room 2 he walked in Cora was so pale from the lose of blood he moved a chair closer to the bed and sat down he pull her ring out of his pocket and slipped it back on her finger she was wearing a white hospital gown and was being given oxygen and two IVs one for blood the other he was unsure about the beeping of the heart monitor and the ticking of the wall clock was the only sounds in the room Shah Rukh took her hand in his and laid his head on the bed.

Chapter twenty four

It was late in the afternoon the wall clock read 4:42 Shah Rukh had fallen asleep with his head on Cora’s hospital bed a hand touched his shoulder waking him he looked up to see Pooja Chopra standing at his side. “How did you get here so fast?” He asked drowsily “I was in London when I called Cora this morning. Agent Martin and myself had tracked Ben Williams as far as London Saturday but we lost him. I called Cora to warn her to be on alert in case he showed up” Pooja eyes were full of guilt ” if only I had called yesterday maybe she wouldn't be like this.” Pooja noticed the ring on Cora’s hand she looked at Shah Rukh then back at the ring then Shah Rukh “is that what I think it is?” A small smile graced his lips he ran a hand through his hair “that depends on what you think it is.” Pooja raised an eyebrow “it’s an engagement ring?” He sighed “yes” “in the span of just seven days you two managed to fall in love and get engaged?” Shah Rukh only nods in reply Pooja shakes her head in disbelief “so now what has the doctor said?” Pooja asks “he says that she is stable and will probably be moved to a regular room tomorrow if she shows signs of improvement.” Shah Rukh stood up “I’m going to find some coffee then I have a few calls to make can you sit with her till I get back?” “Of course” Pooja replied she sat in Shah Rukh’s abandoned chair as he leaves the hospital room. Shah Rukh was pointed in the direction of the visitor’s lounge by nurse Mira and it wasn’t the best coffee he had ever had but at least he had his coffee then he pulled out his cell and returned the calls he had been ignoring all day. Rohit Shetty was very understanding and sympathetic he told Shah Rukh not to worry about the film at a time like this to just come back when Cora is better. He spoke to his sister who had been frantic since she saw the news report of a shooting at his Dubai house. He spoke with several friends assuring them of his well being and then his agent who told him it was reported on the news that a man had been shot and killed and a woman was shot as well and in critical condition that this woman had been traveling with Shah Rukh and that she was the FBI agent involved in the arrest of the kidnapper at the fan event in New York and that she was wearing a sizable engagement ring. Shah Rukh thanked him and hung up on returning to Cora’s room he found Mira talking with Pooja “Mr. Khan I brought you a cot” which she pointed out was against the wall with a pillow and blankets placed on top”so you can stay with her tonight and I also have someone bringing you food later.” Shah Rukh hugged Mira “thank you so much for all your doing.” Mira blushed “your welcome sir.” and left the room. Later that evening after Pooja had left for her hotel a friend of Mira’s delivered the food for which Shah Rukh was most grateful considering that he had not eaten all day. Shah Rukh ate his fill then shared the rest with a few members the hospital staff. It was just after one in the morning before he laid down on the cot but his sleep was fitful and filled with nightmares he dreamed of her being shot over and over again he got up off the cot and laid down beside Cora only then did he find rest. The sun had just begun to peek through the window of the hospital room when Cora’s eyes slowly opened her mind was a little foggy since she was still on pain medicine she felt breath on her right cheek she turned her head to see Shah Rukh laying on his left side facing her wearing doctor’s scrubs Cora took his left hand in her right pulled it to her chest and went back to sleep. That’s how Pooja found them when she came to see about Cora’s condition a few hours later she was touched by this display of love and devotion she thought these things only happened in the movies she had been worried about how fast their relationship was moving but at this moment she believed God had a hand in this and everything would been alright. The doctor came it check on Cora’s condition at 10:00 am even though both Shah Rukh and Cora was awake at this time he stayed on the bed with her as the doctor examined the bullet wound and said it was safe for her to move to a regular hospital room. Since Shah Rukh had no intentions of leaving Cora’s side, Pooja went to his house for him and brought him a change of clothes and his pain medication for his shoulder he used the staff showers only after Pooja returned so Cora would not be alone he looked in to the mirror after showering he hadn’t shaved in two days now he had a slight beard. When he got hungry he distracted himself With the television only eating if someone gave him food. Thursday afternoon Cora’s doctor told Shah Rukh that she could be taken home but she must be on bed rest for a week then no lifting for two weeks following that to insure that the wound does not tear open. After hearing this Shah Rukh charters a private plane and Friday morning they flew to Mumbai.

Chapter twenty five

The gate of Mannat opened for the white BMW as it drove through a crowd of reporters and photographers Shah Rukh glances at Cora who thanks to the strong pain medication was fast asleep beside him with her head on his shoulder he was glad that she didn’t have to face this in her condition he then looked at Pooja who was busy texting someone. the driver parked in front of the bungalow Shah Rukh woke Cora enough to help her from the car she leaned against him as they walked into Mannat Pooja following behind. his sister Shahnaz was waiting for them inside Shah Rukh introduced Pooja and Shahnaz he asked her to show Pooja to her room then took Cora up to his room pulled back the blankets and helped her lay down on the bed then covered her up. Shah Rukh stood there for a moment watching her sleep he moved a piece of hair that was across her face more than anything he wanted to stop time and stay right here with her and never leave he knelt beside the bed “Cora when you wake I won’t be here I have obligations that I can not forsake, i hope you can forgive me I vow to you as soon as the filming is done I’ll come back to marry you.” He kissed her cheek then left the room. To Shah Rukh’s surprise Pooja was standing outside the room waiting for him a rather stern look upon her face “I will stay here with her and keep her company, but I do not agree with this decision to leave her here under these circumstances.” Shah Rukh ran a hand through his hair “Pooja I have no other option I have to get back to filming.” Pooja just sighed “when will you be back?” “the end of May.” He replied Pooja was shocked ” Shah Rukh that’s a month from now you can’t leave her here for a month and think she won’t mind.” “Pooja if I could I would bring her with me, but I can’t she needs rest and I need to finish this film.” With that said Shah Rukh left for the Chennai Express filming location. Cora woke up in almost total darkness the only light came from the far end of the room Cora sat up slightly her mind cloudy from the pain medication ” what time is or more important what day is it?” She thought to herself Cora turned the bedside lamp on and looked around the room it was the most lavish bedroom she had ever seen the bed she was sitting on was on an ornate gold platform with a huge gold and red velvet headboard the room itself was nearly as big as her apartment back in Atlanta she slipped off the bed and walked toward the light at the other end of the room and pushed the door open it was the master bathroom and it was also large and lavish with green marble through out it boasted a bath tub big enough to swim in “well he had better be the King of Bollywood because with a bed and bathroom like this it’s nothing short of royal.” She said talking aloud to herself “I wonder what the rest of his house looks like? And further more where is he?” “He’s not here.” Said a voice behind her Cora turned Pooja was standing in the doorway of the bathroom “Shah Rukh is not here?” Cora asked Pooja shook her head no “where is he?” Wherever their filming.” Pooja replied “what is the day and time?” Cora inquired “it’s Friday the 26th at” she looked at her cellphone “8:32pm. I have some soup for you if you feel like eating.” “I’m starving but I’d like a shower first.” Cora said ” sure, what movie would you like to watch?” ” hmmm” Cora thought for a moment ” Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi.” Cora and Pooja sat on the bed and watched the movie while Cora ate she found the movie very enjoyable but it was not the same as having Shah Rukh with her. Just after the movie had completed the bedside phone began to ring Pooja answered it “hello? Yes she’s awake.” Pooja handed the phone to Cora “it’s for you.” “Hello?” Said Cora “I miss you m"rī dhūpa I miss you so very much, how are you feeling?” ” I’m starting to feel stronger. When can I join you?” I think it’s best if you say there.” “Shah Rukh I..” He cut her off “Cora it for the best I’ll be back before you know it.” “Ok, but I was hoping to see you for my birthday.” “When is your birthday?” “May 2nd.” He pauses “I’ll see what I can do give me a minute.” Cora could hear him talking to someone but could not make out what they were saying “I’m sorry Cora I just can’t leave we’ve lost to much time already leaving at this point would be costly. I promise we will celebrate your birthday when I get home. Ok?” Cora sighed “ok.” ” please take rest like the doctor said I’ll talk to you tomorrow maiṁ tumas" pyāra karatā hūm goodnight.” “I love you too, Goodnight.” She replied and handed the phone back to Pooja who place it back on the bedside table. This was how the days were pasted Cora would take her meals in the bedroom and Pooja introduced Cora to Shah Rukh’s sister Shahnaz who checked on Cora every morning and Shah Rukh called her every night. Pooja did her best to keep Cora entertained but she sensed a growing restlessness in her friend. On Tuesday Cora declared to Pooja “I’m going home.” Pooja wasn’t really surprised “have you talked it over with Shah Rukh?” “No, I’ve been thinking these past few days we rushed into this relationship I never thought about what I would have to give up to marry him till now that I’ve had the time to think, I would have to quit my job, have my life under a media microscope and yes I do know what they’ve been saying about me here. I feel like I’m going to be giving up everything and all he loses is his bachelorhood it doesn’t seem like a fair trade to me I think I need sometime away from all this” she motioned to the lavish bedroom “so I can make a solid decision on my future if I tell Shah Rukh he will talk me out of it I know.” “What will you do in Atlanta? Cora shook her head “I’m not going to Atlanta I’m going to Oklahoma.

Chapter twenty six

Two days later Shah Rukh sat in his van he was silently panicking, when he call Cora at Mannat Wednesday night Shahnaz answered and told him that Cora had flown home early that morning and that her friend Pooja had gone with her. Shah Rukh had tried to reach Cora and Pooja on their cells but neither answered or returned his multiple calls. He miss her terribly he felt only half alive without her it was hard to believe that in such a short space of time he came to need someone as much as he needed air to breath the silence between them was suffocating he needed to know why she left him without saying a word. He looked up the time difference between India and Oklahoma the difference was ten and a half hours “if its 5:37pm in India it’s 7:07am in Oklahoma that means m"rī dhūpa will be up.” Shah Rukh said to himself he called Cora. She was standing by her parent’s vegetable garden when her cell phone rang she didn’t need to look at it to know who was calling, a woman with shoulder length blonde hair stood up looked at her from the other end garden “when are you going to talk to the poor man?” Cora replied ” when I know what to say.” “Maybe you should go talk to your dad he has a way of helping me clear my head when I don’t know what to do.” “No, Anne I think your the one I need to talk to.” “Oh how so?” Asked Anne “Have you ever regretted giving up your life as a model to marry my father?” Anne’s blue eyes sparked “not for a moment, if I could go back in time I would still marry him all over again he may be just a simple farmer but I love him with every fiber of my being. Yes being a model had its perks and I made a lot of money doing what I loved I had dated a few men but I always felt something was missing till I met your father and then meeting you and becoming your mother was the best day of my life. I don’t look at it as giving up my life I look at it as gaining a greater life an even more fulfilling life I just altered my purpose in life from being a model to teaching modeling I still love what I do even if the way I do it is different. Does that help?” Cora smiled tears in her eyes she walked to Anne “thank you, your the best mom I love you.” The women embraced and cried tears of joy together ” what are you two crying about this time?” Said a young woman with long brunette curls Anne and Cora smiled at her “it’s ok Tessa your sister and I was having a mother daughter moment.” Said Anne. She and Cora opened their arms and Tessa walked in to their embrace the three shared a group hug. ” I just came out here to tell Cora that man keeps calling the house phone I haven’t answered it like you asked but I doubt he going to stop.” Said Tessa ” what are you going to do?” Cora sighed deeply ” I’m going to Atlanta.” Anne put a hand on Cora’s cheek “are you sure my dear?” “Yes, I’ve never been so sure in my life.”

It was the 11th of May it had been ten days since Shah Rukh had last spoke to Cora. Pooja had finally talked to him yesterday and informed him that Cora was back in Atlanta but she didn’t want to talk to him. Shah Rukh didn’t understand this he so strongly believed that she was the one God intended for him to marry yet here he was sitting on a chair in white kurta pajama after finishing a scene his heart paining him more than his shoulder he was silently praying for strength. then his sister called him she had called his cell twice already in the last thirty minutes but he was in no mood to talk with anyone. He thought about his luck lately first it was his shoulder injury then he met and lost Cora in a matter of two weeks things couldn’t get worse. Shah Rukh noticed Rohit Shetty running toward him “why haven’t you answered your phone? Shahnaz called and told me that Mannat is on fire.”Shah Rukh jumped from the chair “how long has it been on fire?” “She didn’t say.” Replied Rohit ” I’m going to change then leave for Mumbai.” Said Shah Rukh Rohit shook his head “don’t worry about the costume just go to your sister.” Shah Rukh left for the nearest airport and flew to Mumbai. When he arrived in Mumbai it was nearly dark his driver had the radio on the radio host was talking about M.A.R.D and how it was going international with its latest team member and the rumor about his engagement and what the wedding plans might be. At that he just sighed right now his heart was too heavy to start thinking about that “oh that’s one dead horse they need to stop hitting.” He said to himself. The car arrived at Mannat he got out of the car and what he saw when he looked at it brought tears to his eyes.

Chapter twenty seven

The driveway was lined with torches flickering like stars in the night Mannat was draped with twinkling lights the air was filled with the scent of roses Shah Rukh was overwhelmed and confused he remained standing by the car unable to move he had expected to come home to the charred remains of his home but here it stood decorated with white lights and red cloth wrapped around the pillars all he could do was stand there taking it all in. The door opened and his sister walked out wearing a beautiful peacock blue saree followed by a bald man wearing a black suit and a lovely woman with short blonde hair wearing a light rose pink and silver saree they were followed by a young woman with long brown curly hair wearing a dark green saree with orange ascents the door closed behind her.They all walked down the stairs and stood between the double staircase. As Shah Rukh began to walk toward them four men carrying violins walk around the house and began to play softly the door of the house opened and a woman stepped out wearing a red and gold saree her face covered by a veil she walked down the steps and stopped at the last step as Shah Rukh approached the group she then walk to him and touched his feet before he could stop her it was then that he saw her hand and the ring on it he reach out and lifted the veil her green eyes met his brown they stared at each other for a moment before she sank to her knees on the grass before him he moved to pick her back up but she held up her hand to stop him “I Cora Adeline McKinney daughter of Aaron, Elisabeth my departed mother and Anne McKinney” she looked at them and smiled Tessa gave her a thumbs up ” humbly ask you to be my husband. Will you marry me?” Shah Rukh was overcome with mixed emotions on one hand he was happy to see her on another he was angry with her for leaving the way she did he bit his lip in an attempt to remain calm he raised an eyebrow said “and how long must you keep me waiting till the wedding day?” Cora smiled ever so sweetly ” if you answer quickly you won’t have long to wait” he reached out and picked her up by the shoulders pulled her to him touched his forehead to hers “how quickly can you plan a wedding?” he asked she laughed softly “is tomorrow morning to long a wait?” Shah Rukh’s face registered the surprise he felt “tomorrow … Morning….? “Yes, at 10:30 is that not soon enough? He hugged Cora to himself. He didn’t understand this how she came to be here how all this came about he wanted answers only she could give him grabbed her wrist and began to walk up the steps she resisted and tried to pull away “Shah Rukh you haven’t met my family yet.” “I’ll meet them later I need a word with you first.” Shah Rukh practically dragged her up the steps and entered Mannat only to find the entryway full of close friends and family of his and hers he pulled her behind him till they reached the library he pushed her inside shutting and locked the door behind him. He slowly walked toward her his nose flared he clinched and unclinched his hand his eyes glowed with his restrained emotions Cora was uncertain how she should react she began to walk backwards just incase he was feeling wrathful and not happy to see her. Shah Rukh spoke through a clenched jaw “ten days its been ten days since I last heard your voice ten days since I knew you was safe and healthy you have no idea what I’ve been going through.” Cora stood were she was looking down she wore her guilt upon her face “I wanted to be certain of our future together I didn’t want any regrets and I have none I can have purpose here even though I’m not an agent.” Shah Rukh stopped in front of her taking both her hands in his and placing them behind her back and held them in his left hand with his right he tipped her head back her lips began to tremble from fear and a desire to feel his lips on hers. Shah Rukh dropped his right hand at her side a wicked grin came to his lips she looked at him questionably his began to kiss her jaw making his way to her ear when his right hand swiftly smacked her backside Cora yelped and tried to get away but he held her fast against him “consider that your punishment.” He whispered into her ear and began to place kisses down her neck “will you be spanking me every time I do something you don’t like?” Said Cora her breathing quickening Shah Rukh looked her in the eyes “No, only when I can do this.” Then he kissed her lips passionately till there was a knock on the door “Shah Rukh I know you holding my friend captive in there so unless you want me to break this door down you had better bring her out.” Said Pooja Shah Rukh groaned “our guests await”.

Chapter twenty eight

Shah Rukh held her hand as they walked to the door Cora halted “wait I forgot to give you something.”She was wearing a ring on her right thumb she slipped it off and placed it on his right hand “this ring represents my scottish ancestry and the three strands of the celtic knot represents God, husband and wife. See how they are woven together to make one strand that has no end?”Shah Rukh smiled looked at the ring then planted a soft kiss on her lips then they left the room. Shahnaz, Anne, Aaron, Tessa and Pooja was waiting outside the room Cora introduced Shah Rukh to her family he shook hands with her father and hugged her stepmother and sister. Cora took his hand and lead him to the formal dining room or at least what once was the formal dining room it had been transformed and filled by a large purple and gold tent. The tent was filled with couch seating and wooden tables that had lamps that gave the room a romantic glow. Golden trays and pitchers graced every table ladened with food and drink the guests ate from small gold plates and drank from gold cups. Shah Rukh and Cora was seated on the couch in the middle of the tent a woman walked to Cora’s side of the couch carrying a table she placed it beside the couch Shahnaz and Anne came in the tent carrying a gold rectangle mehindi tray they placed it on the table and sat on the seats in front of Shah Rukh and Cora. As the woman began applying henna to Cora’s hands Shah Rukh lovingly feed Cora bits of food from his plate and shared his drink he looked around the tent and wonders how this all came about ” which party planner did you use to pull all this together?” Shahnaz laughed “This all came from Cora’s mind she formed her own team to find the things she wanted and they set it up the way she instructed. I helped of course I gave her your credit card.” Shah Rukh raise an eyebrow at his sister then looked at Cora lovingly “you did all this in a few days?” She shook her head “no, Mr. Khan a week.” “A week? I thought you went back to Atlanta.” “I did to pack up my things and ship them here.” ” woman if we were alone I would….” Cora leaned closer to him ” is your hand feeling twitchy Mr. Khan do you feel the need” Anne cleared her throat and shot Cora a look who in turn blushed and averted her eyes causing Shah Rukh to burst into laughter. Cora was soon covered in her bridal henna she enjoyed watching Shah Rukh dance with their guests and Pooja, Anne and Tessa did not seem to mind the attention he gave them at all. A house staff member informed Cora that some of the wedding guests had arrived Cora with the help of Anne got to her feet went to greet her guests. At the front door stood five tired women Ruby, Mira,Debbie,Shereen and Allie. Cora walked up to them hugging each of them ” ladies I’m so glad you could make it I know your all tired from the trip so Suri” she motioned to a young man in his early twenties ” will take you up to your rooms. Sleep well tomorrow is a full day.” The women followed Suri with their luggage in tow to the elevator they would be spending the night in the annex guest quarters. Cora was returning to the party when Shah Rukh caught her around the waist and pulled her to himself “how did you pull this off? Did Rohit know about this?” Cora rested her head on his chest “yes he knew I talked with him two days ago and I pulled this off because I knew what I wanted and had lots of helpers.” She look up and smiled “any other questions?” “Yes, when can we have a baby?” Cora pulled away “what?” She squeaked he smiled showing his dimples and spoke slower “when can we have a baby?” “First we have to be married then the when and if is up to God.” Replied Cora “I’d love a beautiful little girl that looks just like you.” Shah Rukh said as he stroked her cheek Cora’s eyes filled with tears “we need to return to the party.” Shah Rukh nodded “I know, I just want to tell you how much I love you and how happy you've made me tonight.” His eyes also a little misty Cora kissed him on the cheek then they returned to the party side by side his arm around her shoulder. It was after midnight and the last of the guests had left and everyone went to their rooms Cora walked her parents to their room and hugged them good night her dad hugged her tight “I always knew you was never meant for an ordinary life I just never imagined this.” Cora just smiled and bid them good night as she headed to her room across the hall from Shah Rukh’s it took her awhile but she drifted off to sleep dreaming of her soon to be husband. Shah Rukh was not so lucky since Cora had told him the details of the ceremony he was up for a few more hours writing his wedding vows.

Chapter twenty nine

The morning was starting off beautifully the sun was out the birds chirping the air was scented with thousands of roses it was like a page right out of a fairy tale. Cora had been up since sunrise she had gone up to the roof terrace to pray for God’s blessing on this day. Afterwards she instructed the staff as they set things up for the ceremony. Anne came to fetch her two and a half hours before the ceremony was due to start to dress and have the bridal pictures taken. Cora was sitting in front of the vanity mirror in her room putting on her jewelry when there was a knock at the door “Can I talk to Cora for a minute?” Asked Shah Rukh Anne firmly stated “NO! It’s bad luck to see your bride before the wedding.” “I’m not asking to see her I’m asking to talk to her.” He replied as Cora stood up and walked to the door her face said she was calm but her stomach was in knots “oh no what if he’s changed his mind,what will I do?” She thought to herself then as she stood in front of the door she said “Shah Rukh I’m here.” The door opened two inches and Shah Rukh placed his left hand on the edge of the door Cora placed her right hand on his and laced their fingers together “what did you want to talk to me about?” She asked “do you remember the morning after we first saw each other?” He asked “yes” she said almost cautiously “I was laying there on your couch you had asked me if I wanted any coffee you looked like an angel in that simple white shirt and black jeans.” Cora smiled and bit her lip “the first moment I saw you I thought I was hallucinating from the shock of being stabbed in the back, when Poo woke me up the next morning and told me that you was sleeping on our couch I thought she was teasing me till I saw you laying there. When did you know you loved me?” Shah Rukh sighed “when you told me about loosing your fiance and baby I knew I was developing feeling for you but in that moment I knew.” “I love you.”Cora whispered “I love you too.” He whispered back “I’ll see you later.” He gave her hand a squeeze then pulled his hand away and shut the door. Cora turned around a found that every woman in the room had tears in their eyes “come on ladies we need dry eyes for our pictures.” She said jokingly to Mira,Ruby,Debbie,Shereen,Tessa,and Allie. Anne walked into the room “it’s picture time and it’s an hour till the wedding ceremony starts.” Everyone went up to the roof terrace it was decorated with potted trees, bushes and hundreds of rich red and dark yellow roses the bridesmaids were dressed in yellow sarees with red and gold embroidery Cora wore a red saree with a green border it was heavy with embroidery and bead work she had her hair up and her face was covered by a veil she had on a pair of gold high heels because today she didn't want to feel so short when she stood by Shah Rukh. When the photography session was over it was fifteen minutes till the ceremony was to begin. Shah Rukh was in his room dressed in a cream sherwani with gold embroidery on the sleeves and back he was holding his turban in his hands he looked at the mirror and placed it on his head and noticed Shahnaz was standing behind him with tears in her eyes he turned around and hugged her “Didi what’s wrong?” “Nothing is wrong Bhaiyaa everything is right. I look at you now and I see how happy you are and I feel at peace.” Karan Johar opened the door “Shah Rukh you have five minutes its not a good idea to be late to your own wedding.” Shah Rukh walked to the ceremony platform with Karan and Hrithik Roshan greeting guests on the way he stepped on to the platform there was three red cushions in the middle for Cora, himself and the priest then six white cushions for Cora’s bridesmaids on her side of the platform and two white cushions for his groomsmen on his side as well as two chairs for Cora’s parents. Shah Rukh sat on his cushion and was then joined by the priest. The band that had been playing old hindi music began to play ishq hi hai rab as the bridesmaids began to walk toward the platform then four men carried in the bridal palanquin Shah Rukh had his back to the procession till the bridesmaids sat down then he turned around to see Cora. Cora stepped out of the palanquin and was met by her father and step mom her father took her right arm Anne took her left they led her to Shah Rukh, her father took Shah Rukh’s right hand and placed Cora’s hand in his, Shah Rukh then led her to the cushions on the platform and they took their seats. Shah Rukh and Cora sat back to back Tessa and Allie held Cora’s mirror Karan and Hrithik held Shah Rukh’s the mirrors were angled in such a way that they could see each other Cora had such a big smile when she saw Shah Rukh till he winked at her and she had to bite her lip to keep from giggling he mouthed “you look so beautiful, I love you.” She mouthed back “you look so handsome, I love you too.” Cora became overwhelmed with emotion she lowered her head and fought tears Shah Rukh reached back with his right hand and took her left she took strength and comfort from him. The priest began the ceremony with the reading of the Quran after the reading he prayed for and with the couple then asked the guests to pray blesses over the couple and their marriage. Then Cora’s father stood up holding the holy bible and began to read passages about marriage and then spoke about the sacred vow we make with God when we enter into marriage that so many take it lightly “Cora and Shah Rukh, seek from within yourselves the serenity to accept the things you cannot change the courage to change the things that you must and the wisdom to know the difference. Live each day, one day at a time enjoying your time together, one moment at a time. Seek the wisdom of experience learning all that you can from each other accepting hardships as the building blocks of experience. Realizing that accepting both the good and bad are simply a part of being alive. Strive to make as many things right as is humanly possible in your life together that you may be reasonably happy in the life you share from this day forward” then he prayed with them and returned to his seat.
Shah Rukh stood up took Cora’s hands and pulled her to her feet looked into her eyes and said” I Shah Rukh Khan vow that I will encourage your compassion, Because that is what had drawn me to you and makes you unique and wonderful. I promise to nurture your dreams, Because when I see you living them you shine your brightest. I promise to help shoulder your challenges, For there is nothing we cannot face if we stand together. I promise to be your partner in all things, Wether it be mischief, adventure, trials and sorrows. I will not possess you, but work with you. Lastly, I promise to you perfect love and perfect trust,And that for me one lifetime with you could never be enough.This is my sacred vow to you, my equal in all things.” Cora began crying half way through Shah Rukh’s vows her lower lip trembled and tears ran down her face she took in a deep breath and began her vows ” I Cora Adeline McKinney promise to be your companion and friend, I will love you and stand by you,In health and sickness,Through sorrow and success,I will be your ally in conflict,Your greatest fan and your toughest critic.Your comrade in adventure,Your student and your teacher,Your consolation in disappointment,Your accomplice in mischief,I vow to honor you in all things all the days of my life. Shah Rukh and Cora then signed the marriage contract and official became husband and wife. As Shah Rukh lead Cora off the platform a flock of white doves was released and as they walked down the aisle the guests tossed yellow rose buds at them.

Chapter thirty

Before the reception started Shah Rukh and Cora went to their rooms to change and met in the hallway afterwards Shah Rukh had changed in to a tux and Cora a white sari with a veil over her face. the reception was a lively event nothing Cora had ever experienced could compare Shahnaz had helped her with the menu it was all Shah Rukh’s favorite foods. Shah Rukh enjoyed showing his bride indian dance moves but as a slow dance started he realized it was just as enjoyable he pulled her close and swayed to the music he lifted the veil that still covering her face and pulled it over his head so they both was under the veil. “I know a beautiful poem by a Russian poet….To kiss the eyes is to lift sleeplessness, I kiss your eyes.” and he kissed both her eyes.”To kiss the lips is to drink water, I kiss your lips.” He softly kissed her.”To kiss a forehead is to erase memory, I kiss your forehead.” He placed a kiss upon her forehead. “What memories are you kissing away?” She asked “every bad memory before you met me.” She smiled “I know a poem to but I don’t remember the writer. Distance from you hurts like the nettles I once fell into when I was a child,Time away from you hurts as bad as pouring boiling hot water onto my hands.
You make every single bad moment and memory feel as though this was the one I was waiting for my entire life.” He smiled showing his dimples. The song ended and Shah Rukh pull her veil off his head “shall we Mrs. Khan?” He said offering his arm she took it and they went to their table. It was late in to the afternoon before the reception came to an end. Shah Rukh and Cora had their pictures taken together then walked to the front door of Mannat, Cora looked quizzically at Shah Rukh then the door opened and Shahnaz greeted her “it’s traditional for the new bride to be welcomed to her new home by the mother-in-law” Shahnaz suddenly looked very sad “So it’s my pleasure to welcome you to your new home.” She held in one hand the Quran and the other the bible she held both over Cora’s head as Shah Rukh led her in to the house. Her parents and Tessa was waiting just inside her dad stepped forward “sweetheart we have a very early flight in the morning I think it’s best if we say goodbye now.” Cora put her arms her father’s neck “I love you daddy.” Cora release him and hugged Anne and Tessa. Aaron looked at Shah Rukh ” Take care of my little girl.” He said sternly Shah Rukh nods and they shake hands. Later after saying their goodbyes and bidding them goodnight Shah Rukh led Cora to their room he shut the door and locked it, He leaned against the door watching her take all the jewelry off a wicked smile pulled at his lips Cora looked up and laughed at the expression on his face “what are you think?” She asks playfully “I’m contemplating braking a key in the lock.” She laughed again “why?” “So when our thirty nights are up you can’t leave.” “Thirty nights? Oh my thirty nights with the King.” She walked to him “who would want thirty nights I want thirty lifetimes.” He pulled off her veil and dropped it on the floor then pulled her saree off her shoulder walking around her pulling it free from her petticoat then dropping it on the floor standing behind her he began to unlace her blouse and placing kisses on her shoulder up to her neck and nibbled on her ear till the blouse hit the floor then the petticoat found its way to the floor as well Cora then removed his turban it hit the floor followed by his sherwani then she slowly undone his pants watching his face as she reveled in the fact that he was fighting to control himself he then picked her up and took her to their bed. Later that night as they lay in bed he gave her a black box with a red ribbon she opened it and inside was a black leather book and a picture of land “thank you” she said unsure what the picture was for he did not leave her guessing “the picture is of your land in Oklahoma it’s right beside your parents and you may build any kind of house you want, the other is a journal so you can write your thoughts down, oh and there’s a pen.” he pulled a red pen out of the box and handed it to her. She opened the black leather journal and wrote on the first page The Diary of a Bollywood Wife the Cora Khan Story on page two she wrote today I became Mrs. Shah Rukh Khan.

It’s not the end it’s only the beginning. The Diary of a Bollywood Wife the Cora Khan Story begins Soon.

© 2013 PdDugger


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

245 Views
Added on October 8, 2013
Last Updated on October 8, 2013
Tags: Shah Rukh Khan, Bollywood, Indian, Romance.

Author

PdDugger
PdDugger

OK



About
I'm a mom of two and i love writing short stories. more..