The Willow Tree

The Willow Tree

A Story by Jessica

It was early fall in Hazel Falls, 1857. The wind was blowing through the beautiful Black Forest. The waterfall’s music blended in with the wind carrying it throughout the town drowning out the noise of a busy day. He was walking through the town when he saw her, Sara-Beth Wallace. Her beautiful brown hair was placed in a bun, high on top of her head. A single strand blew freely in the wind stopping just under her passionate, gorgeous, Caribbean blue eyes. Her dress was a deep plum purple. She was seventeen years old. As she turned her head she saw him. His name was Jasper Jace Edwards. She saw him looking at her with his exotic, tranceful, compassionate green eyes. His hair was short and blond. He was about six feet tall. He was nineteen years old.

"Jasper? Jasper?," Ben said looking at his best friend.

"Forget about it Sara-Beth is here, you’ll never get his attention," joked Sam.

"Just go over and talk to her," William demanded

"I can’t," replied Jasper, "Its complicated." He looked away and started walking towards his family.

Jasper had two sisters, Amanda and Alyson.

"Wait up Jasper," yelled Will and Ben.

Jasper knew they were only coming after him to talk to his sisters, Ben was in love with Alyson and Will was in love with Amanda. As the three of them reached the girls, the girls started giggling.

"Hello gentlemen," the twins said in unison.

"Beautiful day is it not?" asked Alyson as she smiled at Ben.

He replied, "It gets more beautiful each time you smile."

Sam finally reached the group just in time to hear Ben’s cheesy line. Jasper looked at Sam and they both rolled their eyes and went to help Jasper’s father.

"Oh, thanks boys the Wallaces have so much stuff," Mr. Edwards said.

"Where are they going this time?", Jasper asked his father as he stuffed a suitcase into the carriage frustratingly.

"To New York for her possible mar-".

Jasper stopped listening to his dad and was lost in his own thoughts. They were rich, Mr. Wallace was the mayor of Hazel Falls and was trying to forward himself in the political battle for a seat as senator, I am poor and we work for the Wallace family. A relationship with Sara-Beth and I would never be possible, Jasper thought. He was so far gone in his mind he didn’t even notice Sara-Beth and her mother standing beside him.Sara-Beth cleared her throat and Jasper jumped. She laughed.

"I am sorry, I didn’t mean to startle you," she finished with a friendly smile.

"Its okay," Jasper assured her.

"Hello Jasper," Mrs. Wallace said.

"Ma’am," Mrs. Wallace left him and Sara-Beth to go stand by Mr. Wallace.

"I am so tired of going on these little trips. Its never any fun and they only talk about politics." Sara-Beth said as she looked at a stunned Jasper.

"Jasper? Hello?" she stared at him.

"Huh?" he muttered out.

"Never mind,"

"Good-Bye Jasper," she finished from inside the carriage.

"Good-Bye Jasper, thank you for your help," Mr. and Mrs. Wallace said.

Jasper nodded respectfully at them. They entered the carriage and it started to leave.

"Have a good trip," Mr. Edwards bellowed now standing beside his son.

"Come along Jasper," he completed.

Jasper stood there and watched his love move farther and farther away.

He finally whispered, "Good-Bye Sara-Beth."

His buddies watched him sulk back to them.

"So?" asked William anxiously.

"What?", Jasper looked at his friends.

"What happened?", Sam said almost angry.

"With?"

"Don’t play stupid. What happened with Sara-Beth?", Ben nearly attacked Jasper.

" Uh, I don’t know. I sort of zoned out.", the whole group started complaining even his annoying sisters chimed in.

"Unbelievable," declared Amanda.

" You really are the worlds biggest idiot." Alyson added.

"If you don’t hold an actual conversation with her she will find someone who can."

Jasper snapped at his sisters screaming, "Why don’t you guys focus on Ben and Will!"

The shocked girls ran away from the group embarrassed and crying.

"You don’t have to be a jerk," stated Will,

"Yeah." the others exclaimed in agreement.

They left their friend standing there alone and even more confused.

Jasper walked towards his horse and said, "I just don’t get it." The horse neighed and then snorted.

"Yeah," Jasper said, "come on", Jasper pulled the reins and were off to the Edwards’ house.

When he arrived he put his horse in the barn and went inside for some lunch.

"Hello mother," Jasper kissed his mother on the cheek.

"Hello dear," she replied.

"Did the Wallace family get off alright?"

"Mm-hmm," he answered with a mouthful of bread.

"Oh that is good. Now go wash up for lunch and apologize to your sisters."

Jasper sighed took some more bread and stomped off to go find his siblings.

         A few weeks went by before Sara-Beth and her family returned to Hazel Falls. Jasper and his father rushed to Wallace mansion trying to get there before the family. Just

as the Edwards were setting in the golden gates opened up for the Wallace carriage.

"Welcome back sir," Mr. Edwards said.

"Its good to be back John," Mr. Wallace smiled as he looked around.

Jasper waited nervously for Sara-Beth to exit.

"Good morning Jasper," Mrs. Wallace said.

Sara-Beth walked passed Jasper and smiled as she brushed his shoulder with hers.Jasper and his father started unloading bags from the carriage.Sara-Beth watched from her bedroom window. She went downstairs and got some juice, then she brought it out to the two workers.

"Here you go gentlemen,"

"Thank you Sara-Beth," Mr. Edwards went over and grabbed a glass.

Jasper finally came over and reached a glass.

"Thank you,"

"You two are more than welcome," she smiled and let the guys get back to work.

Later that day Sara-Beth went into town to go alter a new dress her mother gave her. As she left the store she ran directly into Jasper.

"Excuse me ma’am," he said not realizing who it was.

"I am so sorry," she said immediately.

"Ah, man of many words," she joked.

"We meet again miss Wallace."

They both laughed in unison making beautiful music.

"Where are you off to?" asked Jasper.

"Home,"

"Can I walk you home?".

"Of course you can."

The two of them walked slowly on the path to Wallace mansion.

"Have you been invited to the town ball?" asked Jasper.

"Not by anyone I want to go with. Why?" she started to smile.

"No reason".

"Oh," she said feeling sad.

"Would you like to go with me?" she asked him hoping to get the right answer.

"Uh sure, but I am suppose to ask you,"

"You were taking forever."

When they arrived at the mansion they found Sara-Beth’s father outside. Jasper took this time to ask him if he could take her to the ball.

"Hello father," Sara-Beth said.

"Hello dear," he replied eyeing a jumpy Jasper.

"Sir, I was wondering if I could take your daughter to the town ball in a few

days?"

There was a long silence and he finally said.

"OK," Jasper and Sara-Beth both sighed in relief.

"Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!" Sara-Beth shout out in a inaudible blur.

 

Perfect, Jasper thought, now I can get close to her and her family.

           

         Jasper started walking home. He kept thinking about what just happened, when he realized he didn’t have a decent suit to wear that would impress Sara-Beth or her family. As he entered the house he was thrown into a tornado of fabric, talking, and complaining.He looked around trying to find his mother. As he was doing that a piece of fabric fell on his head covering his intense eyes.

"Hello?", Jasper asked removing the fabric from his eyes.

"Oh sorry honey...we are making the girls dresses for the ball. They are going with Ben and William," a frantic voice said from behind Amanda.

"Um, that is what I wanted to talk about?"

"I need a new suit for the ball," he finally reached his mother.

"Can’t you just use your old one?".

"I am going with Sara-Beth."

The whole house went quiet.

"You cannot be serious," Amanda said.

"You are going with the mayor’s daughter?".

"Yes, yes I am." a proud Jasper said.

"Oh my baby has a date praise the lord," screamed Mrs. Edwards as she squeezed her son until he couldn’t breath.

A day before the ball Jasper finally had enough money to go buy a new suit. He ran into town to avoid getting the "left-overs". He arrived just as the store opened.

"Hello," said the owner, "looking for something special?"

"Yes", Jasper said.

"Wonderful."

Leaving the store he had little money to buy his date a gift. As he entered the jewelry shop he ran into Sam, Ben, and Will.

"Hey Jasper," they said.

"Oh hey guys,"Jasper said.

"We heard you are going to the ball with Sara-Beth," Sam uttered.

"Yes it is I finally talked to her", Jasper told his friends everything.

The four of them picked out a beautiful pearl necklace for Sara-Beth.The day of the ball arrived with a rainy, cold , and windy welcome. Jasper was nervous, it was the first time he would be alone with Sara-Beth on a date. Meanwhile across town Sara-Beth was just as nervous. Where could this go? She wondered she was over the normal age limit to be married. What would it be like to be Mrs. Jasper Jace Edwards? Lost in a ramble of what ifs she forgot her maid was in her room.

"Miss? Miss?" the maid looked at Sara-Beth.

"What did you say?" Sara-Beth asked.

"What would you like for breakfast miss?"

"Oh uh I guess the usual."

She dismissed her maid and went back to her thoughts.

            As night fell upon Hazel Falls the storm worsened.

"Are you okay?", Mrs. Wallace smiled at her daughter.

"A little nervous I suppose,"

"Sara-Beth there is something I need to tell you...your fath-" she got cut off by a knock at the front door. Jasper entered the house looking sharp new necklace in hand.

"Hello sir" Jasper said as Mr. Wallace came into the room.

"Hello Jasper," he said. Before anymore could be said, Sara-Beth and her mother glided down the stairs. Jasper placed the necklace on Sara-Beth.

"Oh Jasper its so beautiful", Sara-Beth exclaimed.

"We will be joining you there in about an hour" her mother told them.

They arrived wrapped under Jasper’s jacket, shielding them from the rain.

"Its really wet out there huh?" Will said as he entered with Amanda.

Ben and Alyson followed underneath Ben’s jacket. They dried off and then went and got some drinks.

"How is it going with Sara-Beth?" one of the guys asked.

"Good."

"Good."

They returned back to their dates just in time to see Sara-Beth’s parents enter with the young prince of Romania. As prince Lucian floated down the stairs everyone in

the room started speculating his reasons for being in Hazel Falls.

"He’s cute," a girl in a blue dress said to her friend.

"He is here to find a bride," a guy said.

All the girls started giggling and acting giddy as he passed them and nodded hellos. Sara-Beth’s parents took him over to where she was standing she grabbed Jasper’s arm trying to feel comfort.

"Prince Lucian allow me to introduce my daughter Sara-Beth."

The prince’s eyes marveled at her beauty. He then bowed and smiled. Sara-Beth curtsied and smiled back. Everyone watched some with envy others with rage. After a while everyone went back to their own business keeping a very watchful eye on the drama. Prince Lucian was watching Sara-Beth making her feel awkward.

"Jasper?," she said, "can we go?"

"Of course we can."

They went into the black forest and stopped under the big willow tree trying to get cover from the rain.

"I am so sorry" she said, "I cannot believe they would do that,"

"Really?" he asked coldly, "It didn’t surprise you that they are trying to set you up,"

"They think I like you,"

"Do you?,"

"No," his heart fell into his stomach.

"I am in love with you," she finished.

They stood there looking speechless at each other, Jasper leaned in and gently kissed her. They made plans to meet the next night under the willow tree.

         The next day the rain started pouring even harder.

"Its almost below freezing," Sara-Beth’s friend Jennifer said.

"Yeah," mumbled Sara-Beth staring blankly out the window.

A carriage approached the gate to Wallace mansion, the gate opened up slowly. The front door opened up and Mr. and Mrs. Wallace ran out to greet their guest. The carriage came to a stop. The door flung open and a lady exited the carriage followed by Lucian.

"Welcome to our home," Mr. Wallace gestured pass him and his wife.

"Thank you. I hope my stay here brings a good future."

Sara-Beth was called down stairs.

"We are in here darling," her mother called.

"You remember prince Lucian from last night,"

"Yes I remember him. Hello,"

"Hello Sara-Beth," he smiled.

Sara-Beth sat down beside her parents.

"Darling we have some excellent news for you,"

"What is it?" she asked as if she didn’t already know.

"The prince will soon be taking control over Romania," the lady said,"and when he does he will need a princess and then eventually a queen." she paused.

"We," she gestured around the room, "think this union will be good for each family and possibly country."

Lucian jumped in, "If you accept my offer your world will go from getting what is necessary to whatever you want when you want it."

Everyone watched her.

"Well," she said, "it sounds lovely, but can I think about this offer?"

"This is an insult," the lady said she got cut off by Lucian.

"Of course you can ponder the offer. I understand that it is a lot to take in at one time,"

"Thank you for your kindness sir."

That night Jasper and Sara-Beth met in the forest.

"Oh Jasper its horrible my parents want me to marry the prince."

"Its going to be okay," he said embracing Sara-Beth tightly.

"No it will never be okay."

She was about to finish when a twig snapped. They turned around to see her father and prince Lucian standing there.

"What are you doing?", Mr. Wallace said angrily,

"Nothing," Sara-Beth manage to squeak out.

"You are suppose to be getting married to Lucian not fooling around with the trash," he pointed rudely towards Jasper.

"He is not trash. I love him," Sara-Beth said tearfully.

When her father grabbed her lightening crashed and thundered boomed.

Jasper screamed, "No!"

"Nobody said you could talk!"

"Enough," Lucian stepped in, "this not the time nor place to be doing this."

Mr. Wallace threw his daughter into Lucian’s arms. He caught her and let her go to Jasper.

"What are you doing?" he asked Lucian.

"Her happiness is important to me, and it appears she is happiest with him," he smiled towards the couple.

"You are so blinded by political power that you forget what really matters most."

The prince walked over and kissed Sara-Beth’s hand, "Good-Bye my love,"

"Good-Bye good prince."

Jasper bowed and nodded respectfully. The prince returned the nod and left the forest.

"I am so sorry," Mr. Wallace broke the silence, "he was right I only saw you as a tool for me to use to be successful. I give my blessing for this union."

They stood there staring at each other. The three of them started walking back to the house. As they entered Mrs. Wallace greeted her daughter with a huge hug.

"The rain stopped," Sara-Beth said trying to break the awkwardness.

They all started laughing.

       Six months went by and it was mid April. The wedding day had finally arrived.

"Oh my darling you look beautiful," Mrs. Wallace said starting to bawl.

"Thank you," Sara-Beth said.

Her mother left the room to get everyone downstairs to prepare for the ceremony. As the music started playing the twins and Jennifer walked down the aisle, followed by a gorgeous Sara-Beth. At the alter Jasper waited nervously with Sam, Ben, and Will by his side. They sealed their vows with a kiss and went to the reception.

"I am so happy Jasper," Sara-Beth said.

"Me too," replied Jasper as he kissed her forehead.

      A few years later the Civil War started. Jasper and his buddies got drafted into the army. Jasper left behind Sara-Beth and their daughter Willow. After the army returned to Hazel Falls Jasper was a general. He eventually became mayor of Hazel Falls and quicklytook a seat in the senate. Unfortunately, Jasper died in a tragic duel with somebody from the senate. Sara-Beth buried him underneath the willow tree in the Black Forest. She got sick from Tuberculous when she was about forty. When she passed away her daughter, Willow, placed her beside her father underneath the beautiful willow tree.

 

 

© 2010 Jessica


Author's Note

Jessica
Please ignore any grammatical errors.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

That was an incredible story, very sweet. I enjoy that the prince is logical and that her father sees reason. A nice ending to, very descriptive.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

103 Views
1 Review
Added on July 5, 2010
Last Updated on July 6, 2010

Author

Jessica
Jessica

Palm Springs, CA



About
My name is Jessica. I am 17. I live in California. And I try to enjoy life to the fullest. more..

Writing
The Secret... The Secret...

A Story by Jessica


Moonlight Moonlight

A Poem by Jessica


Choice Choice

A Poem by Jessica