My God Over Our Love

My God Over Our Love

A Story by Daylia
"

Liviana has become a Christian. Now she faces a choice. Jesus, her Savior, or Julian her handsome fiance? Will the choice really have to be made? Will divine intervention save her family& mama's life?

"
"Liviana, how could you do this to me?" Julian's eyes shone brightly in the soft moonlight, a sign he was dangerously close to tears. 

    "I do not mean to hurt you, that is the furthest thing from my mind! But, I must follow God wherever He leads." Liviana spoke softly, measuring her words carefully. 

    "Aren't our gods good enough?" Julian pled, "Liviana, please reconsider. Our relationship, your family, everything you love is all at stake!" 
Julian held her hand tightly, he could never bring himself to give her up. She was too precious to him!

    "Oh, Julian, do not torture me so! I love you so much, I could never bear for my choice to separate us." A sob choked her momentarily. "But," she continued, peace flooding her beautiful face, "God, my God, will help me bear the pain if that is His will." A tear slipped down both cheeks, first Julian's, then Liviana's. 

     "Liviana." Julian begged.

    "Julian," she said tenderly, "My God must come over our love. And," she paused, the heartbreak nearly causing her to reconsider; "If that means your gods must come between us as well, I must accept that." She turned her head to avoid his eyes. The pain she saw there was breaking her heart.     "All I have ever wanted was to make you happy, it hurts me to see you so hurt, I know you understand that I love you."
Julian dropped her hand and turned away. He took a few steps towards the brightly lit inviting house. Then, stopping, he turned back and extended his hand to his lovely Liviana. 

    "Come, my love, let us put aside such things and eat dinner with the family. Perhaps tomorrow you will reconsider." Liviana took his hand and he led her to the door of the house. Pausing outside the door, they plastered on smiles and wiped the tear stains. Liviana looked up at her tall, handsome fiancé. Could she stand firm to her Jesus? Even if it meant losing Julian?
Julian bent and kissed the upturned cheek. Then he opened the door. 

The gaiety and happy laughter of a loving family at dinner replaced the quiet stillness of the night garden. Liviana shuddered to think that tonight, this very night, she must tell her father and mother, as she had just told Julian; that she was now a Christian. I must wait until we are alone. Then I will tell them. She decided. Julian sat at the table and gently pulled Liviana down beside him. 

    "Let's not mention it now, dear." Julian advised. Nodding, Liviana agreed, she had already decided that herself. 
After dinner the family visited and enjoyed the calm evening. Julian remained beside Liviana's side all evening. He held her hand and didn't say much. Liviana could tell there was a battle going on inside of him, and she knew her decision was the cause of his turmoil. How she longed to retract what she had said, just to make him happy again; but her commitment to Christ held her firm. Jesus had died for her, couldn't she stand for Him? 

The lamps burned low beginning to flicker and cast weird shadows along the walls of the wealthy home. Extended family members, aunts, uncles, cousins, and the like began to leave for home. Standing up slowly Julian stood and stretched. Offering his hand to Liviana, she took it and he lifted her slender form from the cushion where they had sat during dinner. Julian lingered grasping her hand and looking fondly at her. Yet, he said not a word. Then he released his grip, turned, and slipped out the door into the moonlight. Liviana felt as if half of her heart had been ripped from her chest. An overwhelming urge to cry choked her as she stood staring at the door that had shut behind her beloved. Swallowing hard she turned slowly and scanned the room. She feared tears stood in her eyes. 

Liviana discovered she was alone with her mother and father, the room was empty. Her siblings had been shipped off to bed, and her parents, alone, remained talking in muffled tones. Crossing the room Liviana sank onto a carefully selected cushion. She chose a seat where she wouldn't look like a guilty child awaiting rebuke but, instead, dignified and decided. She knew she looked good. She had dressed carefully to appeal to the eye tonight. She wanted to look good for Julian as well as her parents when she told them the news. Her light purple robe and wide waist belt fitted her well, draping softly over her body. Her dark, black hair was pulled into her favorite loose bun, with a few loose strands that curled a frame around her fair skinned face. She knew she had been noticed for during dinner she had heard her relatives remark about her. 'Goddess', 'stunning', 'most beautiful daughter of Marcellus', and 'he (Julian) is one lucky man to get such a beauty', were several of the comments she had heard. 

Taking a deep breath she tried to relax before exhaling slowly, silently. A brief prayer escaped her heart before she turned to her expectant parents. "Give me strength, Lord!" she prayed. 


    "Mistress Liviana," Cassia entreated, "Lucia and I, well, we would like to as a favor; that is, may we be allowed the evening off?" Liviana smiled at the nervous girls standing before her. 

    "It must have taken much courage to approach as mistress as kind as myself, no?" She asked flashing a smile to her maids. "You needn't be afraid. May I ask how you plan to spend the evening?"

    "Yes ma'am. We wish to attend a meeting." Cassia, the more outspoken of the two, replied. 

    "You may." Liviana hesitated. "And please tell me how the meeting goes."

    "Yes ma'am. Thank you, ma'am!" The girls curtsied and left the room, smiling. 

Liviana smiled to herself, yet, she wondered what type of meeting might have interested her young servant girls. For several weeks, one day a week, the girls asked for one evening off to attend a meeting. Liviana was curious and maybe even a little suspicious, but she graciously allowed the girls an evening pass each time they asked. 
One night Liviana decided to follow the girls on their once-a-week outing. Following them was difficult for they seemed to constantly be looking around and behind them. It appeared that they were making sure they were not being followed. At last they stepped from the shadows onto the door step of a dim lit house. Cracks of light filtered through the spaces between the curtains and from under the door. Now, Liviana caught up with the girls and emerged from the shadows, nearly scaring them senseless. 

    "Mistress Liviana!" They jumped, clinging to each other.

    "Don't be frightened girls! I wish to join your meeting, if I may." Looking at each other, then to their mistress, and then back to each other the girls hesitated. 

    "Yes ma'am," The girls stammered, "Come on in, we are Christians here." 
Liviana gasped. But as the word Christian sunk deeper into her soul she seemed to see it engraved on a crown of gold in shining letters. She shrank back. Christians were often mistreated and thought foolish. What would her family think? What would Julian think? Curiosity won. Liviana entered the meeting with the girls.
The days following the meeting Liviana though carefully of the night meeting. She had never heard such a beautiful meeting! Such amazing stories! Such love! She longed to learn more about Jesus. Each week she slipped from the house with her young maids and attended the meetings. Finally, one night, by the light of the twinkling stars, Liviana denounced her gods of wood and stone and was baptized in the dark water of the river. 

    "Mother, Father," Liviana began softly, "I have something to tell you." Her smiling parents nodded. "I have become a Christian and accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior." Liviana dropped the bombshell fully expecting an explosion at any moment. She cringed. Shocked, her parents stared at their eldest daughter, the highlight of their life. 

    "But, but Liviana, dear!" Father Marcellus Vitus stammered. "What will Julian, and the others think? What reputation with this bring you, or us?" Liviana smiled understandingly at her distraught parents. At least Father was calm right now. 

    "Father dear, it will all work out. God is in control." she paused, "I have already told Julian." Her face clouded. She wasn't even sure how to read his reaction yet, let alone tell someone else how he had responded to her news. "I am sure it will all work out to God's glory."

    "What of the glory of our gods, Daughter?"

    "I have denounced them. Their glory is of wood and stone." She cringed hoping her words were not too strong. "Even if my religion changes my lover's love for me, or your love for me, I must follow God." Peace flooded her face. Her mother watched in awe, how could she be so reassured and at peace? 

Father coughed. "I still do not think it will be good to our reputation to have a Christian daughter. But this is enough for tonight. Good night my daughter." Liviana arose and hugging her parents good night before slipping to her room, and to her knees. 

Oh God of Heaven and Earth, I thank you for your tender mercies.
Thank you for moving Your Holy Spirit upon my parent's heart and for sparing me further heartache this evening. Move upon Julian if it be Your will. Bless my family, draw them to you. Arrest their attention as you have arrested mine. May I see them all baptized into Your Kingdom. Help me to bear the trials that are bound to arise and cause me grief and heartbreak. Carry me in Your strong arms. In Jesus' Name, Amen. 



    "Good morning Aelia!" Liviana called to her new Christian friend. 

    "And good morning to you, Liviana. How did it go, you know... last night?"

    "Julian broke my heart. I fear I offended him and broke his heart as well. Seeing his pain hurt me so. But, my parents, they did not say anything too negative. Father fears for the family reputation. Mother said nothing. They were polite and calm. I fear it is only for a short season though." A tear slipped down her cheek. "I didn't mean to get emotional Aelia, I'm sorry."
Aelia encouraged the young new Christian. She knew the pain that came with acceptance of Jesus. 

The weeks passed. Julian distanced himself and didn't show his face to Liviana. He hadn't formally broken their engagement but she thought he would. Once she saw him speaking with another young woman. Rivera. No, no! Julian, the only one I have ever truly loved! Don't hurt me so! Her heart screamed.

Father grew more upset. Angry. His yelling filled the house each time she refused to worship and bow to their idols of metal and stone. Mother, fearing for her daughter, begged her to reconsider and to forget the Christian foolishness. But Liviana stood firm. One day the last straw broke.

    "Liviana, if you will not worship the gods we worship, then take you and your Christian slaves and leave!" Father stormed. "This is an order!"

    "If I must, I will obey." Liviana hid her tear-filled eyes and fled to her room. Cassia and Lucia followed quickly, shielding their bodies from the sporadic blows of their angry master. They knew if they were really his, and not Liviana's, he would have sold them before they led his children 'astray'. The girls brought what they needed and walked to Aelia's home. "I pray this only lasts a short season." Liviana spoke finally.

Aelia answered the door and stopped short when she saw her sobbing friend. "Liviana! What has happened?" Liviana nodded slowly and told her the story. 

    "So you see, I had no where to go. Father has sent us away."

    "I am so sorry, Sister. Of course! You are more than welcome to stay here as long as you may need." 

Julian tensed, his arm raised to knock. He was outside the Vistus home. He had decided to see Liviana, he couldn't stay away a second longer. He missed her. He knocked on the door, three swift knocks, then he waited a moment. A servant opened the door and ushered him in immediately. Julian was always an honored guest. 

    "Julian!" Marcellus Vitus exclaimed, "How good to see you! It has been awhile. How are you, Son?"

    "Very well, thank you. I am here to see Liviana." 

Marcellus's eyes darkened. "She no longer lives her. I sent her away since she refuses to join in our worship of the gods." Julian's eyes now flashed with anger. His fists clenched. 
 
     "Where is she?" He demanded. "If my Liviana is not safe and comfortable, you will be sorry!" 

   "She is as safe and comfortable as a Christian deserves, I am sure. She is my daughter, and I am unconcerned. What has gotten into you?" 

    "She is to be my wife! She is precious to me, and if my jewel is harmed!" Julian left the sentence at a climax. Turning on his heel, he stormed from the house of the wealthy man. 

    "So you still plan to marry the Christian dog, do you?" Marcellus roared with laughter. But Julian was already gone...searching for Liviana. Augusta shivered, a chill of fear running down her spine. Marcellus, her husband, had turned into a seething dragon, she turned away in disgust. 

Julian jogged up the cobbled street. Who would know where Liviana was? His thoughts turned to the Christian woman who sold bread at the market. Yes! She should know! Julian decided. He turned his footsteps towards the market and hurried to the woman's stand. 

    "Excuse me?" He panted, trying to catch his breath.

    "Yes? Would you like some bread?"

    "No thank you, ma'am. I am searching for my beloved fiancé Liviana. Do you know of her whereabouts?" Aelia looked the young man before her up and down. So this is Julian, the one we pray so hard for. I remember him from a meeting a year or so ago....I think, yes! It is he. The older woman thought quickly. 

    "Your dear one is safe. She is staying at my home. The house with the blue door on Twisted Root street, not far from here. You are welcome to go see her, she is there."

    "Oh thank you!" Julian rushed off anxious to find his beloved. At last Julian spotted the house. He began to walk up the rocked path to the door when suddenly it flew open. Screaming in delight Liviana flung herself into Julian's arms. 

    "I missed you so much!" she cried. "Now you have come!" Cassia and Lucia watched happily as their mistress was reunited with her fiancé. The other Christians held back until the two had time to compose themselves. 

    "Yes, my dear, are you quite alright?"

    "I am just fine. Did you worry about me?"

    "I did." He admitted. "Can you forgive me?"

    "Forgive you? For what?"

    "For Rivera. I meant to leave you, for good. But, I couldn't. She wasn't even close to the woman you are. I am so sorry, Livi." 

    "Oh." Liviana paused, a tear of happiness slipped from her cheek and landed in a plume of dust. "Yes, a Christian always forgives. I do forgive you." Julian held her at an arms length away and looked her over. 

    "You're more beautiful then I remember." He said at last. They walked to the house hand in hand. Liviana wanted to hear all the news he could share. He hadn't committed to Christ yet, but Liviana could see the movement and convictions of the Spirit on his heart. It wouldn't be long. 
Julian walked home slowly. The turmoil in his heart was great. He felt the convicting pull of Christ, just as he had last year. But he had resisted it. Now the conviction was back. He had been attracted to the Christians and their Jesus for a long time, but he had avoided it like the plague. His main reason was Liviana. But now, his own dear Liviana had followed God completely, not even fearing him or her family. Sure, she had counted the costs; but she had found them endurable. Should he join her? Could he? Was the cross too heavy?

Music, laughter and drunkenness prevailed in the dining room of the Vitus home. Suddenly Marcellus stood up and motioned he wished to make an announcement.

    "Ha, ha, ha!" He crowed, "We have once again been blessed by the gods! My wife is again with child, let us hope it is a strong boy! Ha, ha, ha!" The gathered crowed roared with applause; new babies and fertile wombs were a great blessing from the gods. 

Marcellus and Augusta had planned a great feast for all their friends and family to proclaim the good news of the expected baby. Augusta swallowed a lump in her throat. She prayed for a son. Her husband had told her a girl child wouldn't be favorable, as if she had any control or could change what the baby conceived was. He hadn't said it, but she feared he would force her to give up a girl child. Her prayers were fervent for the blessing of a boy. 
Augusta retired before the feast was over. It dragged for hours until the drunken guests stumbled home led or carried by servants. The party was over.


The days passed slowly lengthening into weeks and the weeks into months. Julian submitted to the convictions of Christ and faithfully attended the Christian's meetings. Each week at the meeting he saw Liviana and it was he who told her of her mother and the expected child. She sent a bountiful basket of fruit to celebrate the fertility of the womb. She crossed her fingers, would the gift be accepted? 

    "Thank you, Lord!" she thanked God when the gift of fruits was accepted. "At least they still care a little about me." she thought. 

Then one cool night Julian followed the steps of Jesus, and of Liviana, into the watery grave of baptism. Liviana was so happy she wept. 
    "Julian, dearest one, we are now united in our Jesus and in love!" She hugged him, wet clothes and all.

    "Yes Liviana," he smiled at her, water dripping from his eyelashes, "Now we must plan to be united in the holy, solemn pledge of marriage." 

    "Master Marcellus! Mistress Augusta is in much pain! Something is wrong!" A servant alerted Marcellus who rose sleepily from his afternoon nap. 
This doesn't sound too good. Marcellus thought. Eight and a half months pregnant and in pain. 
Marcellus hurried to the room where his wife was trying to rest. "Augusta, my dear, what is troubling you?" He knelt beside her bed and stroked her hair. 

    "I, I think," she paused as pain tightened her abdomen, "I think the baby is coming early!" She twisted in pain. 

    "Oh no! I will call the midwives immediately." He jumped up and hurried to find a servant. "Titus!" he yelled, his voice echoed off the walls of the wide hall. 

    "Yes? Master Marcellus?" An old servant asked shuffling towards him quickly. 

    "Send for the midwives right away. Augusta is in labor, I believe." 

    "Yes Master, right away!" The old man hurried to find a young boy to carry the message. His aged feet couldn't run for help as they used to be able to. 

    "Marcellus," Augusta called after him, "Please come back!" 

    "Yes, dear?" he answered striding back to her bedside.

    "Marcellus, please," Tears welled up in her eyes, "Call for Liviana to come, I need her!" Marcellus Vitus closed his eyes and clenched his teeth. Why must she ask for their Christian daughter? He most definitely did not want Liviana to come home, yet, because of his love for the dear one in pain, he submitted. Grudgingly he sent a servant for Liviana.

    "Mistress Liviana, Master Marcellus sends for you. Your mother wishes your presence, she is in early labor." Liviana rejoiced to be coming home, but early labor did not sound good. She was thankful for her training she had received from the old Christian doctor who lived next door to Aelia. Liviana called Cassia and Lucia, then they gathered the belongings they had and hurried home. 

    "Welcome." Marcellus was polite and cold, "Your mother requested I send for you. She is in much pain." He seemed to warm a bit at the thought of Augusta. "I am worried about her." 

    "Father, let us pray right now, together, for Mama."

    "To your God?" His eyebrows shot up.

    "Yes."

    "What does He care about sick women?"

    "Father, God loves each of us individually and he cares about every aspect of our lives, personally. He loves Mama and He can heal her if it is His will."

Marcellus seemed to be in thought. He was quiet for a while. "Liviana," He said gently, "You pray to your God. I cannot pray to other gods besides ours's." 

    "Alright Father." Liviana bowed her head and offered up a simple sweet prayer for God to heal Augusta if it was His will. "Now I will go to Mother." Liviana said opening her eyes. Marcellus turned and walked towards the room where Augusta lay but not before Liviana saw the tale tell tears in his eyes. Liviana praised God that he was touched by the Spirit. Then she followed him into the room.  "Mother!" Liviana knelt beside the bed and grasped Augusta's hand. "I am here. What can we do to get you more comfortable? Let's see...." Liviana and the servants began arranging her more comfortably. Marcellus left. 
The midwives waited for direction from Liviana for major decisions. They knew she knew things, she wasn't ignorant. Liviana set to sponging her mother's face, but then she motioned Cassia over to continue. 

    "Do this please, I am going after some herbs in my special garden."

    "Yes ma'am. Herbs definitely will help."

Liviana ran to her herb garden, the skirt of her robe flapping against her legs. This herb garden was precious to her. She had so many different varieties of herbs and plants. She had been tending and growing the garden since she was a little garden. Grabbing several herbs that would help the labor go better she hurried back to the house and boiled them into a tea. She poured the warm liquid in a wooden cup and added honey. Then she carried the tea to Augusta. 

    "Liviana," Augusta whispered a little while later, "I think I am going to die. Please, tell me how to be a Christian." Her words caught Liviana off guard. Liviana beckoned for privacy and Lucia sent everyone from the room. Just Augusta and Liviana remained.

    "You want to be a Christian, Mother?"

    "Yes, Liviana. I knew you were right. Father has treated you wrongly."

    "Do you believe in Jesus?" She asked earnestly. "Really truely believe that He is God's Son who came to save you from your sins?"

    "Yes, I do."

    "Then you are a Christian! You must only accept and ask Him into your heart. Shall we pray?"

    "Yes Liviana." 

Liviana began to pray, mother wept. Marcellus looked in the door and was shocked to see the prayer session. After Augusta had prayed she had another question for Liviana.

    "I cannot be baptized in my condition. What am I to do?"

    "Jesus was baptized for those who cannot. He has taken your place in the waters of baptism and also on the cross of Calvary."

    "Thank you, Liviana. I have peace now." Augusta settled back as another contraction seared through her body. She had not been in pain for the whole conversion experience. Marcellus closed the crack of the door and listened just outside. 

    "But Mother, you must not give up on life. You must live and the baby you carry! Let's pray and ask God to keep you as His will allows." Augusta sighed wearily and nodded.

    "Of course you are right." And so they prayed. As they were praying Liviana heard the door creak open and footsteps. Suddenly she felt a strong hand on her shoulder then Marcellus knelt beside her, weeping. 

    "Praise God!" she rejoiced. 

The hours passed slowly, painfully... Would the baby ever come? Then, just when the midwives were hopeless, the baby was born! 

    "It is a son!" Liviana congratulated her mother. She wrapped the healthy baby in a blanket and handed him to the exhausted woman. Augusta looked at him fondly and kissed his wet cheek. Then she fainted. 

    "Mother!" Liviana screamed. Lucia caught the baby as he began to roll from the limp arms. "We're losing her!" The midwives frantically did everything they knew to revive her while Liviana went to Marcellus. "Father, Father! Please call the doctor quickly. Mother has taken a turn for the worse." 

The doctor was fetched. Marcellus fell beside the bedside yet again weeping and holding Augusta's hand. "Oh God save her!" He prayed to no one in particular. The midwives, their experience and knowledge exhausted, covered Augusta in warm blankets and left. 

    "Master Marcellus," the aged doctor began, "She is stable. Heart beat is regular, you know the works. But, she seems to have slipped into a coma. She will require utmost care if she is to survive, and that is a slim chance. I'm sorry. Congratulations on the new son." Then the doctor was gone. Liviana turned to comfort Marcellus as best she could through her own tears. She clutched the baby firmly in her arms. Then she began to pray in slow, measured words. 

Oh God of Heaven and Earth, Who creates life and also helps the mortal in his last moments. We come before your heavenly throne to plead the life of our beloved Mother and Wife, Augusta. We know you can see our tears and can feel the heartbreak we feel even at this very moment. If it is Your divine will, we beg for the health and happiness of the one we love so much. Please, give her back to us in good health and in the prime of her womanhood. Please, dear Father, show our family that you are God in whatever way You see best. 
In Jesus, our Savior's precious and holy name we thank you. Amen. 


Liviana sat on the bed a few moments longer, then she rose slowly and turned to her maids. With a look they knew their duty. They began cleaning the poor woman up and making her comfortable in her own clean bed. Liviana left with the baby and hurried in the falling dusk to Aelia's home. Tonight the brethren would gather for the meeting. 

Aelia's jaw dropped as she listened to all that had transpired since she last saw Liviana.
    "Oh Aelia! It feels like its been weeks and not just a single day! I am so weary." Liviana reclined on the soft cushion. "My newest brother here needs more food now, we spoon fed him milk at home. We haven't found a wet nurse yet."

    "Liviana, the Lord has already answered your prayers for your family and I am sure He will bless your mother with health once again. Would your father allow the elders to anoint her with oil and pray for her?"

    "I think he would. He was very open today, I have been praying so hard for them, since I became a Christian and God is so merciful to allow me to see the fruits of our prayers. Perhaps one of the Apostles will come soon." She added wistfully. "I cannot stay for the meeting, sadly, but I will send the girls if they want to come. I must find a nurse for the baby and a caretaker for mother. Julian is going to come and help me." She rose to leave.

    "We will be praying. I'll ask the Christian girls if one would be willing to care for your mother. Goodnight." Aelia squeezed her hand as Liviana slipped out the door. "God speed!" 

    "Thank you my sister!" Liviana called over her shoulder.
Liviana walked carefully up the dimly lit street. The moon was high in the sky and it reminded her of a night months ago when she had first told Julian of her new faith. "Liviana, how could you do this to me?" His words still echoed in her soul and she felt again the stabs of pain they had been to her heart. Then she thought of the dark night, when the moon had vanished, as Julian was baptized in the cold river water. How she had rejoiced! 
Liviana heard a door slam. She looked up. "Oh, I am home." She thought. "That went quick. I hope Julian is here." She went inside and passed the baby to her younger sister. 

    "Liviana!"

    "Julian, I'm so glad your here." Liviana said giving him a quick hug. "Any leads for a wet nurse?" 

    "Yes, three. Here they are." He handed her a piece of paper with three names and addresses on it. 

    "Thank you so much, love." She sighed and reviewed the names. 

    "Your exhausted. What can I do to help?" He asked.
Julian took the paper and set out to select a wet nurse. He didn't know which one would be best, so he prayed. "Dear God, show me which woman. Baby Vitus needs healthful nourishment." He reviewed each woman carefully. They were all young and would have to live in the Vitus home until Baby Vitus could eat solid food, or until Augusta was well- if she still had milk by then. Finally he picked one and told her how to get to the house. "Come tonight, right away." 

During the long weeks of intensive care for Augusta, Marcellus Vitus was touched in many ways each day with Christ's love. A Christian friend had been hired to care for his wife, Liviana was there always praying and helping as she could. Even Julian was there, now a Christian himself, and he proved to be very helpful. Marcellus was slowly changing. Sometimes he even "forgot" to pray to his idols in the morning. One bright morning Liviana walked past one of her younger brothers. She was carrying fruit she had bought that morning for breakfast. 
The boys face scowled. "Christian dog." He said. Marcellus heard. Looking hard at his son his eyes flashed and his lips quivered with emotion and anger. 

    "Son, I used to say the same. But I have been shown only tender love and brotherly compassion from your sister and her friends. Where have our own friends gone in our time of hardship? Do not speak so ignorantly, my son."
The boy hung his head, he hadn't really meant it. Liviana side hugged him, expecting him to pull away; but he didn't. "I am sorry Livi." He whispered hoarsely. The children knew Father was changing. They were unsure of what to think, should they be happy? Or scared?

    "The Apostle Peter is coming!" Lucia squealed one morning. "We got the news last night. Liviana had not been able to join the meeting, she had been to tired from caring for Mother and the baby. Both the caretaker and the wet nurse were unwell, so Liviana was burdened with both of the helpless ones' care. 

    "Praise God. Peter has healed many in Christ's name, I believe we shall have him come and pray for Mother."

    "Yes, Mistress Liviana, that will be very good. We have already seen many improvements because of our prayers, but, Mistress is still unconscious." she added sadly. 

    "That is true, dear. By the way, if you don't mind, please leave off the 'Mistress'. I am your sister in Christ!" 

    "Yes Mis-, I mean, ma'am. I am sorry. 'Tis my habit."

    "Quite alright Lucia. When is Peter to arrive?" Their conversation continued.

The house was a-buzz. The Apostle Peter and several Christians were here as well as all of Master Marcellus' children and family. Liviana and Julian were there, the baby, wet nurse and Augusta's caretaker were there as well. Would God answer their prayers?
As Peter approached the bed where Augusta lay unconscious, the Christians prayed earnestly. He knelt beside the bed and took one limp hand. Liviana held Julian's hand with one hand and the baby in the other, she held her breath, would Augusta rise as so many others had? Or would she lie unconscious yet? Every one prayed. 

    "Sister Augusta, in the name of Jesus Christ I bid you arise and be whole." The half seconds seemed like years. Suddenly her eyelids fluttered and she blinked.
Augusta sat up and looked around confused. "What, what's going on? Where is my little baby?"

    "Augusta!" Marcellus cried throwing himself beside her. "Your healed! Praise God!"

The room resounded with 'amens' and 'praise the Lords'. Liviana exhaled. Augusta was well. 

    "Mother, here is your little baby! He's grown fatter then when you saw him last." Liviana gave her the baby and assigned his nurse to care for him when the Mother was weary. 
Liviana stole back through the weeping crowd to Julian's side. He wrapped his arm around her shoulders. Then he whispered, his voice trembling with victorious emotion,
    "All is well again, Livi. Well done. Let the marriage preparations begin." Liviana smiled, her face reflected the satisfaction she felt. God had fulfilled all the desires of her heart above and beyond what she had expected. 

    "And God said, 'It is good'," She breathed. "And it was good." they finished together. 


                                                                         The END.

© 2020 Daylia


Author's Note

Daylia
Any pointers welcome, please be kind... Young, amateur, and have not had any instruction.... self-taught so far!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

14 Views
Added on September 30, 2020
Last Updated on September 30, 2020
Tags: christian, fiction, roman girl

Author

Daylia
Daylia

About
I am a teen writer just getting started. Christian. more..