Third Door on the Left

Third Door on the Left

A Poem by Kimberly Davis
"

The gallantry of four written words

"

  

It was familiar ground on which I strolled, each morning to my room.

Each bend, each groove, each cleft I knew, on the path my feet consumed.

Beyond the playground and handball courts, I ambled by the chain fence

My fingers traced all the metal grates as I entered with self-confidence.

This was my school. I claimed it as such, nine months of one school year.

Third door on the left was your room where I spent all the moments I held dear.

 

You didn’t know, as I sat there each day, the memories I swallowed in.

The smell of the paper and crayons, and books I couldn’t wait to dwell in.

Each morning I loved to walk in that door to soak in your welcoming gaze.

That smile on your face said in no other place, did I hold more favorable praise.

I fondly recall on that last day of school, as we left for a due summer break,

you wrote something down in my yearbook that became a treasured keepsake. 

I know why you inscribed it.  You knew it would mean worlds to me.

Put simply, “I’ll never forget you!”  Four words that set my soul free.

 

See, my home life was never the greatest.  That’s why I loved school like I did.

It gave me the words so my voice could be heard and you listened like I was your kid.

I never felt less than a person and I made sure I was on time.

I felt like a winner six hours a day, in a room, at a desk that was mine.

That day you wrote those words in my book, I skipped the entire way home.

I knew then no matter how tough things might be, in my heart I’d not be alone.

 

There was something back then I kept silent.  Because silence held nothing to dread.

Covered in doubt the words wouldn't come out so I pretended to say them instead.

Some nights at home I’d write stories, where I voiced new words that I’d learned.

Then I’d bury them amongst the papers from class where you penned the A’s I’d earned.

Summer mornings would dawn and I’d march down that path with every intent in mind

of revealing words to you I feared most, but couldn’t find the right time.

It didn't matter I guess.  Turned out I moved before summer school came to an end.

I just desperately craved to tell you how you made me feel real again.

I’ll never forget you!”  Four words I repeat even now, as if I were deaf.

But it really was you I would never forget, and your classroom, third door on the left.

 

© 2008 Kimberly Davis


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow.

Posted 16 Years Ago


good write!!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

265 Views
2 Reviews
Added on February 19, 2008
Last Updated on March 8, 2008

Author

Kimberly Davis
Kimberly Davis

CA



About
I have 2 lives. The life I live in whatever fiction I'm writing, and the life I live in the real world. The real world holds all males in my home, 2 teenage boys...let me just say, omg dramadramadra.. more..

Writing