Punk music in Punk Minneapolis

Punk music in Punk Minneapolis

A Story by Peter Joseph Swanson
"

a book excerpt

"

(A little excerpt from my new novel, bad words bleeped out for the internet)

 

Tope continued, “And you still got your goatee.”


“Yep.”


“The last time I mentioned to you about that pubic hair on your face, I said that it looked stupidly pretentious. It still looks just as stupid. You wanna be cool? Be punk.”


Raven closed his eyes. “And your mohawk looks a bit much.”


Becky said, “It’s PUNK! It’s COOL!”


Mark winced. “F###! Not so loud!”


Tope pointed down at the records. “Your music is a bit much. A bit arty.”


“It’s cool!”


Tope said, “Everybody has this same glossy pop�"Ministry, Robyn Hitchcock and the Egyptians, and Front 242 sh##. Why be like every other lame poseur in L.A.? We’re sitting on our own incredible local music landmine! Everybody has The Smiths. Oh. The Legendary Pink Dots are cool, but still arty. Minneapolis had its own very important groups. Important! Hüsker Dü was very influential. They started out anybody’s thrash but then slowed it all down and added real song stuff�"you know�"beginning, middle, end. F###’n brilliant. And then everybody in L.A. copied them. Where’s your Hüsker Dü, man? And your Replacements, or Ramones, or Mansized Action, or Killing Joke. Or anybody else? Now those were some great bands from Minneapolis, and not just some pansy art sh## like they do in L.A. That Sisters of Mercy sh## with heavy metal drums and a big church choir. I mean real grit and thrash and f###! All this Siouxsie and the Banshees stuff is for girls.”


Raven turned red. “She’s my dream girl. Back off.”


Tope flipped through a few more records. “Nitzerebb?” He punched Raven in his arm. “Eh.”


“Ow!” Raven nervously pulled on his long black ponytail. “Did you write a cool mummy song for my movie?”


Tope cringed condescendingly. “Are you sure you’re going to make that movie? Really? Or just talk about it all night long at Embers like all the other poseurs just talk talk talk about how cool they all are.”


“Of course I’m gonna make the movie!”


We,” Sandra reminded him. “I’m the camera woman. And I have the wheels.”


Raven said, “I was just telling everybody I wished that the cool scary-looking freight elevator worked in Pagan House. It’d be so cool to film with that. Can’t you fix it?”


“Do I look like a f###’n elevator repairman? That thing hasn’t worked as long as anybody can remember. Nobody’s even been in the basement before. Who even knows what’s down there. For all I know it’s caved in or full of dead bodies.”

 

 

http://media-files.gather.com/images/d221/d627/d746/d224/d96/f3/full.jpg

 


It's in paperback:

http://www.amazon.com/Punk-Minneapolis-Peter-Joseph-Swanson/dp/1600761682/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289681925&sr=8-1

 

And Kindle:

http://www.amazon.com/Punk-Minneapolis-ebook/dp/B004BLJAPA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1289681925&sr=8-2

 

© 2010 Peter Joseph Swanson


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Poetic Voice is Announcing the first Poetic Voice Cash Prize Contest for Poetry. Awards will be given to the writers who submit for consideration the most outstanding poems within the context of Poetry and Word Art.



http://poeticvoice.ning.com/

Posted 13 Years Ago


hmmm...go ahead and unbleep the words. the internet loves you as you are and you can curse as much as you f*****g too!

Coming from Minneapolis myself, this honestly reminded me of several conversations I have overheard at the hex or C>C> club. you've captured the spirit well

Posted 13 Years Ago


LOL!!!!!~ oh can't wait to have it in my hands~~~

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

136 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 13, 2010
Last Updated on November 13, 2010

Author

Peter Joseph Swanson
Peter Joseph Swanson

Minneapolis, MN



About
I'm a fabulous published novelist! Woot! more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..