Dating at the carnival

Dating at the carnival

A Story by Peter Joseph Swanson
"

excerpt

"

(This is an excerpt from my published novel BY THE LIGHT OF THE CARNIVAL)

 

The two boys left her with the magazine. Outside, while skirting a big puddle in the grass that was reflecting layers of cotton ball clouds, Carlos asked Joe, 


“What does that mean? Mirrors. Reflections. Ghosts.”


“Hell if I know. It sounds like a lot of rehashed superstition to me with Nazis thrown in for added creeps. I used to have some comic books that were like that. And there’s something eerie about big old-fashioned mirrors with big fat fancy frames. Have you ever seen those kinds of mirrors? My grandma had a big fat one. Heavy as hell. I don’t think the modern kind you buy today can ever get haunted.”


Carlos argued, “But most people believe in ghosts of some kind, in some way, and I don’t think that’s just because of movies and big old lady mirrors and Nazis. I think it’s all a lot older than that.”


Joe nodded. “Yes. The superstitions come from long ago, for sure.”


After Carlos left him and Joe started towards the rifle shoot, Joe spotted Lisa listlessly wandering around the edge of the bumper cars. Her hand was on the metal railing as if it was more a glamorous Riviera railing than a portable part of a carnival. Joe jogged up to her, calling out, “Lisa! Hey! How long have you been here?”


She didn’t smile. “Oh. Not long. I have my mom’s car for a few hours before she does errands. I thought I’d stop by and see how you’re doing.”


“Fine, of course. Did you drive through the rain?”


She nodded. “It hailed on me. On the car. It was scary. Actually it was mostly just loud.”


“It’s also pretty creepy getting hailed on under a tent.”


Lisa popped her lower lip out. “I bet.”


“I’m glad you stopped by.” He smiled big. She didn’t. He asked, “What’s wrong?”


“I don’t think this is a real date.”


“What? Who says it has to be a date? I’m just glad to see you. That’s all.”


Lisa grew colder. “A girl my age has to get serious.”


“Serious? About what?”


“About dating. I’ve wasted too much time.”


“Well, we’re here just talking right now. Isn’t that enough for now? What else can there be?”


Lisa asked, “Can you take me bowling tonight?”


“Of course not. I work here. You know that.”


“And after here, you go bale hay.”


Joe nodded. “Sure.”


“Well, my brother’s friend from that Lutheran high school, Wittenberg, was over this morning. And he asked me to go bowling tonight. He’s in their summer bowling club and he said it’s the new thing to bring a date. So I said sure.”


Joe gasped. “No. No way! What? You said sure to who?”


“To a nice young man I want to date.”


“You can’t do that.”


“I’m not engaged to anyone right now so I can. I’m free.”


“I’m afraid to ask. Who? Who?”


“I’m free to date everybody until I decide who I want to marry. I can have a whole room full of gentlemen callers come by and visit me. It’s a girl’s right.”


“Who?”


“His name is Vince. Vince Penry-Jones the Third.”


“The Third?”


“A very blue blood family, for sure. He’s gonna be a senior.”


Joe gasped again. “What? No. You’d be seen in public with a guy who’s gonna be a high school senior? And from Wittenberg? Isn’t that gross somehow?”


“No.”

 

 

http://media-files.gather.com/images/d884/d947/d746/d224/d96/f3/full.jpg

 



Go look at it at Amazon (that isn't the cover art):


http://www.amazon.com/Light-Carnival-Peter-Joseph-Swanson/dp/1600762972/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306418956&sr=8-1

© 2011 Peter Joseph Swanson


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

lol. these two characters are funny. hes so dramatic and shes so serious. but u sense they belong together...whole opposites attract. i cant wait to come across ur book the cover looks wicked and this incert is just more teasing.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I only read a little bit of it, but I really like it! Good job, Swanson!

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

276 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 27, 2011
Last Updated on May 27, 2011

Author

Peter Joseph Swanson
Peter Joseph Swanson

Minneapolis, MN



About
I'm a fabulous published novelist! Woot! more..

Writing