The Unfortunate Jonathan Cane

The Unfortunate Jonathan Cane

A Story by Peteypie
"

I got bored so I pumped out a story really fast.

"

 

Going over it now, I find it to be increasingly disturbing. I can still hear the voice in my head.
“SHUT UP!”
                My toe slammed into the jaw of the body, I could feel that the force was breaking its neck, never mind that I had heard it snap. Never mind I could hear muscle and bone break.
                They’re coming for you Jonathan.
                “I said. BE. QUIET.” I leaned over and tried smothered it with a nearby garbage bag. Ididn’t mind the smell or rotting fish, or the juice that leaked from the bag. “There…” I had to deal with the smell of rotting flesh for an even longer amount of time.
                Jonathan…
                Still! I heard it clear as day. “LEAVE ME ALONE!” I began to stomp violently on the bag, trying to silence the corpse. I was trying everything. Everything to silence that terrible voice. The voice went into my ears and cut through my ear drum and began to sting my brain. “Why can’t you shut up!?”
                It began to sing
                Jonathan Cane!
                    Lived on Mulberry Lane!
                Murderer! Murderer!
                I backed away either in horror or great pain and I began to hold my hands over my ears, attempting to block out there terrible tune. I stared at the garbage bag with two legs appearing from underneath. The ruckus of the cars from the high way they sat bellow was not enough to drown out the song. None of the beeping cars, or the speeding trucks could drown out the hellish song.
                Killed me! Evil man
                    Killed me with bare hands
                Murderer! Muderer!
                I closed my eyes and sat on top of discarded shopping cart, most likely left by a homeless man. I cupped his ears even tighter. I breathed heavily, but each breath only brought in more pain. Pain of guilt. Pain of terror. Whatever this feeling was, it twisted and contorted my insides, it made me feel as if I was about to break any second. I don’t know how I would have broke, but it was this feeling, an undeniable feeling.
                Guilty! It’s true it’s true!
                    Jonathan they’re coming for you!
                You murderer! Murderer!
                The noise wasn’t coming from the outside, it was coming from inside my head.
I shut my eyes even tighter now, but I did not see darkness, the nothingness I longed to see, I saw blood. I felt the blood on my hands, dripping over my ears. I saw the man’s face as his slowly died. “No, no,” I whispered to myself. I could not stop picturing that face in his mind. Big green eyes widening, the whites being flooded with blood. His mouth opening to scream, so wide that the jaw was about to break, yet no noise could find its way out. I could look down into its mouth and see its very soul. A soul slowly dying at my own hand. Sheer terror the man must have felt, the same terror that was consuming me right now. The voice of the body echoed around the confines of my mind.
At this point, I could no longer stand the sight of the man’s face, the face that was dying, screaming, bleeding, so I opened his eyes. I began to cry. I looked down at a puddle beneath my feet, I gazed into it. However, it was not my reflection I saw within the water, still that face haunted me.
                I looked up and stared across the littered ground beneath the high way. The only available light was from the cars from the road above. Dirt with few patches of grass, soda cans and paper McDonald’s bags everywhere. A large stack of garbage bags, fully stuffed with mankind’s trash. And then there was the two legs protruding out from one. Flies swarmed over them and bit the rotting flesh.
                Still it sang in my mind.
                Killed me! Evil man
                 Killed me with bare hands
                I don’t know why, but I screamed as loud as I could. I kicked back the shopping cart and dashed over to the body and threw off the bag, revealing its lifeless face that to this day haunts me.
                “Leave! –” I punched the corpse between the eyes, breaking the decaying bone. “-ME!- ” I continued to pummel the dead body. Blood, puss, and fungus covered my fists as he smashed in its head, but I didn’t care. I needed the vile carcass to shut up!  “A!” I felt the skull break as I punched the body with increasing rage. I felt bone shatter underneath my knuckles. “LONE!!!” With on final punch, I broke the face in. I started to breath heavily. The shadows around him quickly consumed me and my guilt. I starred at the broken body, but somehow I still heard it. To this day I still hear it!
                Jonathan Cane!
                    Lived on Mulberry Lane!
                Finally went insane!

© 2009 Peteypie


Author's Note

Peteypie
I wrote it fast and im going to add more description later.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Quite gripping if a bit morbid. The pace is suited to the brevity of the story. Too bad that word 'insane' was a give away in the last line... the last word of the story. The story would have packed more punch if the reader was made to draw that word/concept for themselves. But I guess there isn't another word that would fit the rhyme. Nonetheless, a job well done!


Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

226 Views
1 Review
Added on February 3, 2009

Author

Peteypie
Peteypie

Bloomfield, NJ



About
Hello, I'm Peter. I love music, art and writing. My favorite books are Coraline, The Martian Chronicles, Animal Farm, A Series of Unfortunate Events, The Five People You Meet in Heaven, The Complete .. more..

Writing
Meet Tommy Meet Tommy

A Story by Peteypie