Eliza finds a friend

Eliza finds a friend

A Story by Phil Batey
"

Eliza is a small, mischievous bunny. She lived in a toyshop, one day she was rescued by a man as a gift for his daughter.

"

Eliza finds a friend

 

In a toy shop, not very far away and not very long ago, lived a rabbit called Eliza. She had lived there for a long time. Time passes slowly if you are and adventurous, hoppity kind of rabbit and live in a toy shop.

Every night when the lady who owned the shop had gone home for the night Eliza and all her friends would hop, flop, flap, flay and sometimes tumble off their shelves and get together. When they were all gathered on the shop floor they would play lots of games and have tea parties and have a jolly old time. But when the sun came up and they returned to their shelves Eliza would always sit looking out of the window and wonder what amazing things were out there. Games were all very well, but Eliza wanted to explore and there was so much to learn.

 

One day a man came into the toy shop and Eliza heard the man say that he was looking to give a friendly, fluffy little bunny a home. Eliza got up and followed him slowly around the shop popping up slowly in front of him whenever he stopped.

“Good gracious”, he exclaimed, “If I didn’t know any better I would think that you were following me little rabbit.” Eliza stayed perfectly still and tried to look as friendly and fluffy as possible. (It is not common knowledge but there is no creature more fluffy or friendly than an Eliza bunny).

After a few moments the man reached out and picked her gently off the shelf. Her little heart raced with excitement “This is it”, she thought, “Time for an adventure”.

 

The man carried her to the counter and placed her down softly. “I think my daughter will love her”. The lady who owned the shop picked her up and looked thoughtfully at her. “Mind, this one is a little mischievous. Some mornings I come in and I’m sure that she has moved during the night” Said the lady.

”I’m sure she and my daughter will be the best of friends then. Does she have a name?”

The lady looked at him in a rather surprised way. “I call her Eliza.” She said.

“Umm, Eliza.” He thought for a moment or two. “Yes, I think she is defiantly an Eliza.  Thank you, good day.”

The shopkeeper handed Eliza to the man who put her in his bag. She watched as the man left the shop wondering where Eliza might be going.

 

As they walked away from the toy shop Eliza lifted the flap a little and popped her head out. She watched the toys in the window getting smaller and smaller. She waved goodbye to them and slid silently back into his bag where she settled down in between some sandwiches and a checked flask, which sloshed as the man walked.  And she wrapped herself in a scarf that was stuffed into the bottom of the bag. After a while they arrived at the man’s house which was to become Eliza’s new home. He opened the door as quietly as he could and stepped inside. Eliza heard the door close quietly behind them and a moment later she heard footsteps coming towards them. The man whispered quietly to the owner of the footsteps.

 

 

“Hello Dear, how are you?” Eliza felt the bag she was in swing forward as he lent forward to kiss his wife. “Is she upstairs?”

“Hello Darling, I’m very well. Have you had a good day?”

She stepped back a little and looked up the stairs.

“Yes, she’s upstairs we’ve just finished her homework, is everything alright?” she asked turning back to him.

“Oh yes, everything’s fine. And I’ve had a good day today.  I just have a little something to for her.”

He walked slowly and silently to the top of the stairs  when he reached the top he turned left and went round the corner. In front of him was a bright white door and in the middle of the door was a plaque. The plaque was pink and covered in brightly coloured stars, the name ‘Emma’ was painted on it. He pushed the door open silently.

 

Emma was kneeling on a chair in front of the big bay window; she had her chin in her hand and was resting her elbow on the back of the chair. She was lost in her daydream as the light streamed through the window and surrounded her in its glow. She didn’t notice her Dad slowly opening the door.  He stood for a few moments taking in the room, not wanting to disturb her daydreaming. Dreams are precious and should be nurtured and loved. He pondered what she might be dreaming and as he did so looked around her room. The room was like being inside a rainbow, with bright colours everywhere you looked. The walls were pink and the duvet on the bed was bright white with silver stars glistening on it. There were shelves covered in brightly coloured books and board games, a desk covered in things to draw and paint with and a great big squashy patch work beanbag that she would sink into when she was reading. In the corner lived the most beautiful dolls house, its contents and inhabitants all arranged neatly inside. On the ceiling were glow in the dark stars and hanging down were the sun and all of the planets. Next to her beside the window was a telescope.

 

He coughed gently, “Hello Princess”.

Emma jumped a little and turned a bright sunny smile on her face. She jumped of the seat and bounded across the room, when she got to him she flung her arms around his legs.

“Hello Daddy! You’re home, I’ve missed you.” She said brightly looking up at him. 

He bent down and took her tiny hands in his. “Where were you today, flying through the stars again?”

“No silly,” she looked at him seriously.

“Ah, silly me!” He replied, smiling at her. “I have someone I want you to meet,” He kept her hands in one of his and reached into his bag with the other.

 

The flap over Eliza flopped open and she untangled herself from the scarf just in time. The man’s hand, who she now knew was called ‘Daddy’ (those big ears come in handy sometimes), closed gently under her outstretched paws. He withdrew her slowly from the bag. As her head popped out she was blinded by the evening light streaming in through the windows. Blinking Eliza looked slowly around the strange, beautifully bright world spreading out around her.

“This, my Princess, is Eliza and Eliza, this is Emma”

Reaching up Emma took both of Eliza’s paws gently in her hands.

“The lady who introduced us assures me that Eliza, like you, is something of an adventurer”

At the same time both Emma and Eliza felt a curious warm, tingly feeling spread along their arms and all over their bodies until it reached their hearts. At the same time both of their hearts glowed and sang. They both knew they had found a friend that they would never let go and a fellow adventurer.

“Ohhh! Thank you Daddy!” Emma looked from Eliza to her Dad. “She is beautiful.” Emma hugged him tightly, with Eliza in the middle. Eliza rather enjoyed being hugged like that. Daddy kissed Emma on the top of the head and as Emma ran back to her seat with Eliza he closed the door quietly, his heart signing too, and left them to their day dreams.

 

Later that evening the two dreamers watched the sun go down over the fields Emma could see out of her bedroom window. As the sky changed from gold to velvety purple and the stars burst into life they both felt happy and content. Both staring up at the stars, wondering what were on the worlds so very far away. Like this they stayed until Mummy called them to bed and tucked them both in. They snuggled down together, Eliza wrapped in Emma’s arms, and Emma kissed Eliza on the head like Daddy did with her.

“Good night Eliza, we’re going to have some very big adventures” Eliza couldn’t agree more and they both fell asleep and dreamed of big adventures.

© 2013 Phil Batey


Author's Note

Phil Batey
Just let me know what you think please.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Nice Job! well written and discriptive. I can imagine myself in the story and that, I imagine is very impt for a child to imagine. :)

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

209 Views
1 Review
Added on March 28, 2013
Last Updated on March 28, 2013
Tags: Childrens, Adventure, Bedtime, Dreams, Rabbit, Friends

Author

Phil Batey
Phil Batey

Hexham, Northumberland, United Kingdom



About
I've never really grown up! I find losing my self in a magical world or that of a bygone era the most relaxing and rewarding way to spend my free time. Seeing the worlds form in my minds eye and watc.. more..

Writing