Anchors Aweigh to Her Heart

Anchors Aweigh to Her Heart

A Story by piper
"

This is the story of how my mother and father met.

"

Anchors Aweigh to Her Heart

Louise Dugat was 18 and having the time of her life. She was going to community college and it was possibly the best experience of her young life so far. She was into sports, and they had all kinds of girls programs at Cal Allen Community College. Her best friend Juanita was attending with her and together they were a force of nature, ready to take the world by storm.

Louise was brought up in the Methodist church, their attendance as a family had been sporadic at best, but lately her mama had been taking lessons with the Mormon missionaries. She had been attending the local Mormon Church and taking Kay and Louise with her. Daddy just harrumphed when Mama mentioned him coming with them and continued to take no active interest in religion of any kind. Of course Juanita came too, she and Louise were inseparable.

It was a particularly beautiful Sunday morning and the girls were on their way to Corpus Christie where the local Mormon Church was located. Sunlight sparkled off the water causing eyes to tear up as they crossed the bridge to Padre Island. Navy ships gleamed in the harbor below them.

“Look there’s a new battleship just arrived,” Kay exclaimed.

“How do you know it’s new?” asked Louise.

“Lizzie and I came to the beach yesterday, we saw it sail in!”

“Wow that’s swell!” it was always fun to watch the big ships sail in.

“That means a new crop of sailors.” Juanita giggled. Louise gave her a look.

“We don’t date sailors, we aren’t that kind of girls,” she said sternly.

“That was last year when we were still in High School; we’re college women now, we can date sailors if we want.”

“Well I won’t, they’re obnoxious and only after one thing.” Louise insisted. Juanita just rolled her eyes at her friend.

When they arrived at church Louise and Juanita hurried off to the bathroom to freshen up. As she was coming out of the bathroom Louise collided with someone and was almost knocked off her feet. Strong hands caught her and set her upright and Louise found herself looking into the most beautiful blue eyes she had ever seen. She was mesmerized, so much so that she did not even notice the white uniform.

“Are you okay?”

“I think so,” she replied, no I’ve just fallen head over heels.

“My name’s Dean,” he smiled, he had the most amazing smile.

“Um, Louise.”

“Nice to meet you um Louise,” he smiled that dazzling smile again and her heart was lost. Louise blushed and looked down. That was when she noticed the uniform. Her heart sunk to her toes. He’s a sailor she thought to herself. Oh no, I’ve just fallen for a sailor. Just then Juanita shoved her way between them.

“Hi my name’s Juanita; pleased to meet you I’m sure.” She batted her eyes in a flirty way and Louise felt a flash of jealousy instantly heat her face. He was a sailor! How could that dazzling smile and those beautiful eyes belong to a sailor? He gave a small bow in Juanita’s direction but his eyes never left Louise’s.

“We need to go sit down, excuse up please.” Louise grabbed Juanita’s arm and hauled her into the chapel.

“What’s the matter with you?” she whispered as they sat down. “He’s dreamy!”

“He’s a sailor!” Louise whispered back fiercely. Just then he walked past them to a row ahead where some more sailors were seated. He smiled as he walked past and she felt herself blushing again. Louise thought to herself, this just won’t do I’m not a loose woman! I don’t date sailors! The other girls talk about times they had with some of the sailors and that talk embarrasses me!

 

She found her eyes drifting to the back of his head throughout the service. Louise didn’t hear one word spoken during the meeting. When the service was over she watched him approach Mr. Taylor the organist, and he got into an animated conversation with him. Juanita hung back but Louise grabbed her arm and rushed her out.

“What’s the rush?”

“I need to find Kay and get home. Mama is fixing a big dinner and she needs our help.”

“Why don’t you invite your sailor friend, he didn’t even notice, me, he couldn’t take his eyes off you,” she teased.

“Just come on, let’s go.”

For the entire next week all Louise could think about was an incredible pair of blue eyes. She couldn’t wait for Sunday!

© 2015 piper


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

132 Views
Added on May 26, 2015
Last Updated on May 26, 2015
Tags: love at first sight

Author

piper
piper

Minneapolis, United States Minor Outlying Islands



About
I am 55, writing is my passion, and hopefully my retirement job. I have been a writer my whole life, but only writing for the last 2 years. I am working on my first novel, a fantasy, a book of poetry .. more..

Writing
Shattered Shattered

A Poem by piper


Love's Touch Love's Touch

A Poem by piper


Nature Haiku Nature Haiku

A Poem by piper