Stop and Think!

Stop and Think!

A Story by E. A. Slayton
"

This is probably the single-most important peice of writting I've done in years. It's for a college application, the essay topic was to choose one issue of importance to you, your community, or your generation. I chose this.

"

     Albert Einstein once said, “We shall require a substantially new manner of thinking if mankind is to survive.”

Never have those words been more true than they are today. My generation stands on the precipice of an eventual environmental disaster. Unless we drastically change the way we live and think, the quality of life for future generations will be significantly reduced. It may seem a daunting task, but there are numerous options from which you can choose in order to diminish their own ecological footprint.

    

How does ecological awareness begin? First, we must realize that the issue of global warming and other environmental troubles are not waiting in the distant future, but are, in fact, changes that are occurring now. Consider that since the industrial revolution, oceanic acidity has risen due to the fact that water absorbs carbon dioxide, which consequently becomes carbonic acid. Although this represents a small decrease in pH, our fragile environmental balance is easily upset. Increased acidity can effect everything from phytoplankton to coral reefs. Take into account that this is just one of many detrimental changes that has been occurring, and it is easy to see that we must make changes to counteract these large-scale problems.

    

Change starts at home. Although the U.S. makes up about 4.6% of the world’s population, we create nearly a quarter (an estimated 22%!) of the world’s carbon emissions. Much of these emissions come from production of energy and transportation. One of the easiest ways to reduce your carbon footprint is to make your home more energy efficient. Only 15% of the energy used by incandescent bulbs goes toward emitting light. The other 85% is released as heat. By replacing just 5 of those old bulbs with florescent energy-saver bulbs, you’ll not only cut your carbon emissions by 500 lbs./ year, you’ll also save at least $60 annually. Going from single-paned windows to double-paned and ensuring your home has adequate insulation, you can save a ton of money and cut back on your emissions by at least four-thousand pounds of carbon dioxide per year. Replacing old appliances (especially energy-sucking refrigerators!) with energy efficient models is also effective, as is unplugging devices when not in use- they still sap energy when plugged in. We can each shave an additional 250 lbs./year off our carbon footprint by keeping our thermostats at 68 in winter and 72 in the summer, as well as keep money in our wallets.

    

Naturally, these are only small-scale changes we can make individually. A big step in changing our environmental impact is to seek renewable and sustainable energy sources. Solar and wind energy seem to be some of the most promising alternative energy sources. It appears that the more technology is used to overcome challenges in harnessing renewable energy sources, the more obsolete our reliance on fossil fuels becomes. Engineers are figuring out ways to employ wind turbines even in the most difficult places- one new turbine design can be placed on top of tall buildings in urban areas and will spin with even the slightest breeze! You can even set up solar panels to power your water heater! Some states actually offer rebates to “go green.” Some folks have taken matters into their own hands, and by setting up their own turbines or solar panels, they power more than just their homes- the electric company pays them for the electricity they feed into the power grid.

    

Our use of electricity is only one of several factors affecting the state of our environment. Changing our methods of transportation is key to adapting our lifestyle to the needs of the ecosystem. Did you know that simply driving 10 miles less per week can cut down your emissions by 425 lbs./year? You may think that you have to pay a lot of money or stop driving altogether to cut down on your carbon footprint, but that assumption would not entirely be correct. Keeping your current vehicle in good condition and driving the speed limit would not only positively impact the atmosphere, but cut down on your fuel costs as well. You could also opt to make fewer trips, carpool, bike, walk, or use public transportation whenever possible. You could outfit your car to run on renewable bio-fuels- such as ethanol or used vegetable oil- as long as you don’t mind your car smelling like french fries. If these options don’t interest you, you might look into purchasing a new vehicle. Most of the major automobile manufacturers are now mass-producing new hybrid models, “flex-fuel,” and hydrogen fuel-cell cars. New cars are also being engineered to be much more fuel efficient than vehicles of the past. These new cars are more affordable than you’d suppose, especially when you consider the amount of money you’d save on gas. Although fossil fuels are not going to last forever, all we have to do is re-think the way we get around.

    

In addition to taming our energy usage and changing your personal methods of transportation, you can aid our ailing environment by using less water. This is probably the most easy change to make, because for the most part, all it requires of you is for you to be more conscientious. Although 70.8% of the Earth is covered in water, only about 3% of the Earth’s water is considered potentially drinkable. When trying to conserve water, you should not let the tap run if you are doing dishes or brushing your teeth. Don’t run the washing machine unless you’re washing a full load, or contemplate purchasing a water-conserving side-loading model. In fact, replacing washing machines, dishwashers, and even toilets with Energy Star brands can cut back on water waste by quite a lot. Short of that, you can install water-saving faucets and shower heads, make sure to fix any water leaks promptly, and take shorter showers. You may choose to make “selective flushing” a household rule, if curious pets aren’t a problem. Other water-wasters include pools, washing your car, and watering the lawn. You can kill two birds with one stone by washing your car on your lawn. You could also consider replacing your lawn by cultivating native plants in your yard; choose hardy species that do well with the typical climate and average rainfall of your area. Saving water is easily accomplished by becoming more mindful of the amount you are using and whether or not using it is necessary.

    

If you think the garbage you throw out goes into the landfill and eventually biodegrades, you’re wrong. Even items that would easily decompose in natural conditions do not biodegrade in landfills. Researchers from the University of Arizona have discovered that landfills do not provide for proper decomposition, and if you went to your local dump you may find 10-year-old corncobs and 50-year-old readable newspapers. This is because decomposition requires aerobic microbes, and since most garbage lies buried, out of the sunlight and with little dirt, microbes or the oxygen they require, biodegradation does not occur. And suppose that it did- do you think all the methane gases released when the material breaks down is good for the atmosphere? Methane gas is the second worst contributor to the global warming effect! Not all of the garbage stays safely upon dry land, either. Recently there has been the discovery of so-called “trash vortices” in the pacific ocean. These are patches of flotsam that have become concentrated in two separate areas (one just northeast of Hawaii, and the other lies offshore of Japan) and are caused by the swirling currents of the pacific pulling all the junk into one spot. These patches are estimated to be roughly the size of Texas and are primarily made up of plastic. In these areas, the surface area contains about six times more plastic than plankton biomass, and many marine creatures are dying from ingesting the bits of plastic.

    

Remember learning about the “3 R’s” in grade school? If you don’t, those three R’s stood for recycle, reduce, and reuse. By recycling what you can and ensuring proper disposal of what you can’t, you can cut down what goes into landfills. Plastic, tin, aluminum, steel, glass, and paper are all recyclable. By recycling these things, you will reduce your carbon emissions by 845 lbs. /year, and keep them from simply taking up space in a landfill. Even if you can’t recycle it, doesn’t mean you should throw it away! Organic materials such as food scraps and yard trimmings can be composted in your back yard. Old furniture, appliances, and other large objects may seem like they are taking up space, but there’s always someone out there who could use it. Before sending that old bed or sofa to the local dump, use the internet to get rid of it. Websites like www.craigslist.com and www.freecycle.org are free to use and can help you find someone to take it off your hands, and you’ll save the trouble of hauling it to the dump. You can reduce the amount of trash you throw away by buying in bulk or buying items that do not have an unnecessary amount of packaging. It also helps to avoid buying disposable or one-time use products. Reusing items is something that not only reduces your ecological footprint, but saves you money. Take a look around your home. Do you have stacks of disposable plates? America’s throw-away mentality is the very reason our landfills are becoming veritable mountains of refuse. Plastic freezer bags can be washed and re-used. Instead of buying Tupperware sets, try saving those plastic butter, yogurt, and cool-whip tubs and using them instead. Instead of buying small water bottles, keep a heavy-duty water jug that can be used over and over. When giving gifts, put them in re-usable gift bags, and try to give gifts that are consumable.

    

Becoming a smarter shopper is vital to reducing your household waste and diminishing your ecological impact. Consider whether the company you are supporting has eco-friendly policies that reflect your own concern for the environment. “Green” consumers take the source of the item into account before they purchase it. Buying in-season produce or buying produce from a local farmer’s market reduces the number of miles your food travels from farm to your plate. Most farmer’s markets sell locally-grown organic produce and other home-made goods. Remember that the further your food must travel, the more emissions you are indirectly responsible for. Whenever possible buy things that are produced locally, and avoid imported goods. Keep in mind that even your clothes have an impact on the environment. One of the most heavily sprayed crops is cotton, and of course the runoff will eventually find its way into our water. Organic cotton and hemp are probably the most environment-friendly fabrics available to consumers. Shopping in thrift stores and consignment shops are a good idea as well, since you are not only avoiding any superfluous packaging, but also helping recycle.

    

We are changing the way we look at the world around us. We are realizing that the world around us is in fact precious and that many of its resources are finite. The acceptance of this as fact makes it easier to adjust to a new way of living, because we know that we have to. No longer is environmental awareness a special-interest issue; it is an everyday issue. Although it may seem that one individual cannot make any significant change, we can all take charge of the way we live. By each of us assuming responsibility and doing our part, we can, in unison, create a substantial difference in our communities, our country, and even the whole world. While it is true that some of the damage done will take decades to repair, and a small percentage of the destruction is irreversible, it’s not too late. Together we can conserve what’s left for generations to come.

© 2008 E. A. Slayton


Author's Note

E. A. Slayton
Please help! Any problems in syntax or organization? I really need to know before I submit it with my college app.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

114 Views
Added on February 17, 2008

Author

E. A. Slayton
E. A. Slayton

Giddings, TX



About
I am a traveller. I used to hitchhike but now I am in an 18 wheeler. I am not short on material to write about, but the many ways I could approach it often leaves me stuck in deciding. I also use elip.. more..