Listen

Listen

A Story by Tim
"

WHat do you hear?

"

One can lean as by listening as you can by wathching. Often we hear things that are obvious, but miss the not so obvious. Much is missed because there is no focus on the less obviuos.
One way to focus to go and sit somewhere and close your eyes. Push out the obvious noises and listen for the not so obvious noises. Let yourself listen to the unfamilar sounds.
On a summers nicht one can hear the distant hoot of an owl, as it calls to it's mate. if close by you might even hear the whoosh of it's wings as it takes flight. There is also the cry of the whippoorwill, which breaks the silence of the evening. There is the sounds of the crickets and frogs. As well as the soulful howl of a coyote.
Walk into the woods and sit. Listen to the chipmunks rustling the leaves as they scamper by. Hear the sounds of the chattering squirrels as the hunt for food and communicate with each other. Foucus on the sounds of movement in the woods and determine if it is a turkey walking by or a deer cautiously making it's way through the woods.
Sit in a garden and listen to the songs of the birds. The hummming of the wings of the humming bird as it rushes from one flower to the next. There is the buzzing of the bumble bee as it also seeks nectar from the flowers. Then if you listen hard enough you can also here the fluttering of the butterfly as it passes by.
We listen to people speak all the time. We look at them as they speak. Nodding our heads with interest. But how often do we really listen to what they are saying. Do we really listen or is the focus somewhere else.
There are days when there is is a quiet about. Things seem to quieter then normal. On those days you can hear your own heart beating. The question there is do you listen to what yoour heart is saying or do you choose not to listen to it.

© 2008 Tim


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I think I'm a keen observer of my surroundings, but twenty years working on Navy jets has left my hearing quite damaged. Spending time in the woods is still theraputic for me, but I can no longer hear a lot of the sounds. Communicating with others and really listening to what they say is important to me, and I try to do that.
I do listen as well as I can, Tim, which takes nothing from the wisdom of what you say hear. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Sam

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I think I'm a keen observer of my surroundings, but twenty years working on Navy jets has left my hearing quite damaged. Spending time in the woods is still theraputic for me, but I can no longer hear a lot of the sounds. Communicating with others and really listening to what they say is important to me, and I try to do that.
I do listen as well as I can, Tim, which takes nothing from the wisdom of what you say hear. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Sam

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Came back to read again. This is such a peaceful piece, can almost see what you're writing about.

Never seen a hummingbird in its rightful place... how wonderful it must be to see and hear one.

'There is also the cry of the whippoorwill, which breaks the silence of the evening. There is the sounds of the crickets and frogs. As well as the soulful howl of a coyote. ' Not heard one of those either... you are so fortunate to be able to do so.

As to bears in the nursery... arghhhhhhhh Seems you live in a near Nature Reserve... certainly in country area that has so much.

Great to share this again... thank you for writing your experiences with the natural world... especially knowing how large a part it is in your life.

Take care of you. Keep happy. Thank you for sharing.

ps. You should invite more friends so people can read about your experiences with the creatures you met years ago, and, now.. and all your hiking, walking, It would fascinate them.


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It's easy to see that you truly see and care for the Maker's world... the description of the birds is great. You tell a smooth, flowing story, encouraging the reader to read on and on... that's an art.

Thank you so much for sharing.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

234 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 16, 2008

Author

Tim
Tim

In New England



About
I am an easy going person who loves the outdoors and everything that goes with it. Hiking , canoeing, fishing and gardening I was born and raised in New England. I am currently working on buildin.. more..

Writing
Lazy Summer Day Lazy Summer Day

A Poem by Tim



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..