The Song

The Song

A Story by Tim

The alarm went off at 5 am as usual. He reached over and shut it off and climbed out of bed. He went through his usual morning routine. Shave, shower, breakfast and then dressed for work. As he stepped outside he could feel the cold December wind hit him in the face. It was cloudy with a hint of snow in the air. He jumped into his truck and headed off to work.
As he was heading to work he reached over and turn on the radio. The station was playing Christmas music that morning. After a bit a certain Christmas song came on. As he listened to it the memories of eleven months earlier began to fill his mind.
He thought back to the morning at work that cold January morning. He had just return to work after visiting his mother who was in the hospital. He had not been at work for two hours when he received a phone call that his mother had taken a turn for the worst. He went and told his boss that he had to leave and left for the two-hour drive.
When he finally got to the hospital his mother was doing better. But things were still not good. As the afternoon passed and early evening came more family member arrived. Around 6:00 with the family gathered around the doctor came in and explained the situation and gave us all the options. There were a few minutes of discussion and some of us stepped out of the room for a few minutes. He stood out side of the room and talked with the doctor for a few minutes to clarify some things. Then everyone made their way back into the room to make the dissuasion.
His father was beside himself so he knew that would not be able to do the talking. So as the oldest he went to his mothers bedside and sat down. He took her hand and began to talk of the different options. None of choices where very good. If they did surgery there would be not guarantees. If they did another procedure she would be hooked up to tubes which she did not want. So in the end she decided with her family to let things go naturally. The doctor then ordered the nurses to stop all treatments except for pain medication.
The next couple of hours were very emotional. Family members came in one at a time and she told them how much she loved them and said goodbye. It was getting late so everyone gathered around and his uncle prayed before they began to leave.
His dad was exhausted from all the emotions and his cancer treatments. He told his dad to go home and rest that he would stay with her for the night. He told him he would call if anything changed. He spent the night at the hospital talking with his mom when she woke and tried to sleep when he could in the chair.
The next morning preparations were made to bring her home for the last time. His dad came in early. He asked his dad if she had made any plans for the funeral. He said no. He asked him if he wanted him to talk to her knowing that his dad would not be able too. He began to talk to her and she laid out everything that she wanted and the plans were made. Later that afternoon she was brought home to die at home.
The next couple of days were a blur. Friends and family were in and out. He finally collapsed on a Friday afternoon and slept until Saturday morning. That Saturday morning his mom was in a comma like state. Which was very different then the day before when she was still able to talk. He took his son for a haircut. His brother took his dad to get a new suit. The other two brothers had gone outside to take a walk. All that were in the house where the daughters and daughter-in-laws. At some point when all the men were gone she opened her eyes told the girls she loved them and said good and the she was gone. Two days after she had come home she passed away.
The funeral was on Tuesday. He stood up to speak. First he spoke to all the grandchildren. Naming each one. Telling not to remember the sad things that happened the last few days but to remember one thing. That their grandmother was able to tell each one how much she loved them and that she was able to tell them goodbye. Something that few people get. He then told them to remember all the good things that they did with her and to cherish those thoughts. He then spoke to the rest of the family and friends in attendance. Later after the service on of his uncles came up to him and told how much he had appreciated what he had said. He told him that he was doing fine until he started speaking then he lost it.
As those memories came back to him the floodgates opened. The tears streamed down his face. He was crying so hard he had to pull over and compose himself before he got to work. Eleven months had passed and he finally grieved the passing of his mother.
Almost seven years has passed since her death. The morning as he drove to work that same song came on the radio. As he has done the past years since her death he reached over and switched the station.

© 2008 Tim


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is so sad, so very sad.

Losing someone so dear, watching suffering, is heartbreaking, you think you'll never get over the loss. But I guess God lets us have memories, cherished memories. Even a song can catch you unawares and rip the heart open.

Maybe its best to find a happier song, a happier memory, let the others go to the back of the mind?

You write so sensitively. Seems you've found something very special inside because you can write about different topics/themes yet every time there's something very sincere, uncluttered, GENUINE.

Posted 15 Years Ago


This truly went into my heart and broke it open. This is my worst fear. Living without my mama! This was beautifully composed and heartbreaking...

Thanks for sharing!
Janice Ann

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

184 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 6, 2008

Author

Tim
Tim

In New England



About
I am an easy going person who loves the outdoors and everything that goes with it. Hiking , canoeing, fishing and gardening I was born and raised in New England. I am currently working on buildin.. more..

Writing
Lazy Summer Day Lazy Summer Day

A Poem by Tim



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Biting Back Biting Back

A Poem by Bubo


wide awake... wide awake...

A Poem by Brad