Welcome Home

Welcome Home

A Story by Tim
"

Homecoming in time for the Fourth of July

"

 It started raining as he stood there waiting. He opened the umbrella and watched the rain come down. Looking around he watched as others in the crowd opened their umbrellas. There were a couple thousand people standing in the rain and waiting. Waiting for the ending that began a year earlier.

 Her two brothers were U.S Marines. She on the other hand joined the Massachusetts National Guard military police unit. She had help provide security at Boston’s airport during times of heighten threats after 9/11. Other times she provided aid and security for flood victims during a rare flood in the Boston area. But now her unit was called to serve in Iraq.

 She left in July of 2007 to begin her training in Fort Dix, NJ. There she trained as a gunner. When the training was done she was the only female gunner that qualified for her unit. Very few females made it to that position. As they concluded their training they learned of their mission.

 Their mission was to provide security for the seven top officials in Iraq. They would escort them when they left the security of the Green Zone. Along with the security detail they would also do patrols and assist in the training of Iraqi police.

 The time had come to leave for Iraq. There was the ceremony with all the dignitaries wishing them the best of luck. This was the hardest goodbye for him. He had done this a few times with his sons but this time it was his daughter. It took on a different meaning this time. There would be things that she would face that her brothers did not have to face.

 He stood in the rain thinking how fast the year had gone by. Now she was only minutes from arriving. She had landed at Fort Dix the previous week. She had gone threw all the debriefing and medical checks. Earlier that morning they loaded on to buses for the trip home.

   Four buses were loaded with soldiers and there gear left Fort Dix at ten in the morning. They made their way threw New Jersey, New York and Connecticut. They were now approaching the Massachusetts state line.

 As the buses crossed the state line there were fifty Massachusetts State Troopers standing at attention saluting them as they drove by. When the buses passed the troopers went to their vehicles and began escorting them through Massachusetts. Twenty cars and ten motorcycles made up the escort. Also the state police helicopter flew overhead.

 All traffic was blocked as they made their way down the highway. On ramps were blocked until the buses passed. When they came upon an accident they took them down the breakdown lane as those stuck in traffic watched them pass by. For a year they had been providing escorts. Today they were the important ones being escorted.

 The rain continued as they waited. Then all of a sudden the cheers went up. Everyone could see the Helicopter circling overhead. Then the police escort came in with lights flashing and siren blaring. Then came the buses. As the buses entered the gate they stopped. The soldiers came off the busses and lined up in formation. They stood there for a few minutes waiting with anticipation also.

 All of a sudden the rain stopped and the sun broke threw the clouds. The police helicopter flew over the troops with its siren blaring and the soldiers began to march in. They passed by family and friends all cheering and snapping pictures. On to the parade ground where they stood at attention.

 We listen to the speech, which welcomed them home and thanked them for their service to their country. We listen to what they had accomplished when they were over there. Successfully protecting those who they were assigned to. Being the first unit to provide security to the U.S. Vice-President when he took his first trip off a major base. As well as the Secretary of State.

 Then it came what we were all waiting for. The company was dismissed. There were the hugs and the tears. But most of all she was home safe and sound.

 Three of my kids have been to Iraq. Two of them this past year. They are all home safe. Yes this will be a special Fourth of July.

 
 
 

 

© 2008 Tim


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

What a magnificent piece of writing. Oh my, tears.

The words you've written have really opened my eyes to what's happened in your family, the sadness of saying goodbye, the thrill of welcoming your sons and daughter home, safe and sound. No wonder there were tears, no wonder there is pride.

Have a wonderful and very special Fourth of July. As you suggest, it'll be the best ever.

May the Lord show Mankind the wisdom to finally understand that war for both sides is the ultimate tragedy.

God bless you all.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Aww it's ao sweet I bet your very proud of your kids. My brother is going to Ir aq soon and hope he comes back safe and sound. Tell your kids I said thankyou for their service. By the way I only saw 1 thing in your story-nothin bid at all, no need to even bother fixing it- 5th paragraph at the end of the second sentence threw means- I threw a ball- it should be through. It was very good though.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Thank God your kids came back, Tim. There could be no better news than that. During my twenty years of Navy life, I enjoyed many homecomings and know what a joy it is.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

What a magnificent piece of writing. Oh my, tears.

The words you've written have really opened my eyes to what's happened in your family, the sadness of saying goodbye, the thrill of welcoming your sons and daughter home, safe and sound. No wonder there were tears, no wonder there is pride.

Have a wonderful and very special Fourth of July. As you suggest, it'll be the best ever.

May the Lord show Mankind the wisdom to finally understand that war for both sides is the ultimate tragedy.

God bless you all.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

240 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 3, 2008
Last Updated on October 2, 2008

Author

Tim
Tim

In New England



About
I am an easy going person who loves the outdoors and everything that goes with it. Hiking , canoeing, fishing and gardening I was born and raised in New England. I am currently working on buildin.. more..

Writing
Lazy Summer Day Lazy Summer Day

A Poem by Tim



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..