In the Garden with Granddaughter

In the Garden with Granddaughter

A Story by Tim

 It was a cold, snowy, February day. I had just received a call that your mother was in labor at the hospital. Your father was at work and need me to pick him up and take him to the hospital. I drove as quickly as I could in the snowstorm to pick him up and get him to the hospital. When I dropped your father off at the hospital your mother was doing fine, so I headed for home to weather the storm.

 Later that evening I received a call from your father. Something was wrong. Your heartbeat was dropping and would not quickly return too normal. This continued to happen each time not returning to the normal heart rate. He said they were going to do c-section. He would call later.

 Waiting seemed like days, but it was only a couple of hours. You finally came in to the world screaming your head off. The umbilical cord had wrapped around your neck five times and was slowly choking you. If not for the c-section you would not have been with us.

 It is hard to believe that almost six months have pasted since your birth. Here you are now sitting in the middle of the flower garden as I pull weeds. You sit and take in the sights and sounds. Enjoying all the new things that you are discovering.

 Your eyes dart back and forth watching the leaves as they move about by the gentle breeze. You seem like you cannot move your head fast enough as you look from the maple tree to the birch watching the leaves to their dance in the wind.

 You then turn your attention to flowers. Taking in the kaleidoscope of colors. Your eyes go from the lilies to the roses. From the roses you turn your attention to the impatiens. Looking and studying each flower with your eyes wide open as if you were committing them to memory. You turn back to the lilies and wrinkle your nose as you take in their strong fragrance.

 You begin to squeal and laugh as a butterfly flutters about you. You watch it as it circles about and lands on your seat near your head. You reach and try and grab

 As I sit there watching you turn and look at me and see me watching you. You begin chatting away and laughing. Almost like you were telling me everything you have just seen. You have the serious look on your face as I speak to you. Then you smile when I finish as if you understood everything I said. You continue to chatter as I go back to pulling weeds. Then you smile again as I begin to sing as I work. Someday soon you will be able to join in.

 

© 2008 Tim


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

A sad, hard time for the lit tle one at first, but, life will c ompensate, she'll have l ove and love and yet more love.

I alm ost missed reading this , soooo glad i didnt... it's sdelightful Y ou've created such a w onderful scene, lo ve the way you've written, very naturally, sincerely..

What a punch line!

Posted 15 Years Ago


This is such a beautiful story, it moved me deeply. I'm sure your precious granddaughter was telling you all about it too! lol So precious ... Thanks for sharing such a heartwarming story ...

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It's hard for me to imagine anything more enjoyable than what you describe. I have a grandaughter, too, but she's seven. Here's hoping you get to spend countless hours and days with your little sweetheart. Thanks for sharing such a pleasurable tale.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

209 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 30, 2008
Last Updated on July 30, 2008

Author

Tim
Tim

In New England



About
I am an easy going person who loves the outdoors and everything that goes with it. Hiking , canoeing, fishing and gardening I was born and raised in New England. I am currently working on buildin.. more..

Writing
Lazy Summer Day Lazy Summer Day

A Poem by Tim



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Bluebird Bluebird

A Poem by Tim