Ekodi and the rainbow

Ekodi and the rainbow

A Story by MPetersPoems&shortstories
"

its a third story ive writen about the boy Ekodi who lives in the village of wondersmall with his family and loves to play with his kite

"

EKODI STORY 3

EKODI AND THE RAINBOW

Once upon a time in the village of wondersmall, lived a boy Ekodi and his family.

Ekodi liked to play with his kite every day outside while his parents took care of the pigsand chickens in their farm. Ekodi also had a little sister who he played with often.

One day the sky was clear and the sun bright, Ekodi and little sister Sawani went out to play. They ran around the grass fields near their home then they ran further up the small hills beyond their farm.

Suddenly the sky changed and grey clouds covered the sky

While holding his kite Ekodi saw the clouds and said

"oh look the rain is coming"

"oh no what should we do?" his sister asked

"hmm we shouldnt get wet, otherwise mother wont like it"

"so what should we do now?" sister Sawani asked yet again. They were far from home by now.

Suddenly the rain begun to poor,

"Quick i know what we should do" Ekodi then said.

"what?"his sister asked.

"come sister lets run this way come quick" Ekodi told Sawani. He held his kite firmly and they ran to a tree that had a large hole in its trunk. They entered this hole in the tree trunk such that the rain did not touch them.

CHAPTER

Back at home mother rushed into the hut with a basket of tomatores from the garden,

"oh its raining" she said. She had seen the chidren talking to Uncle

"its good Uncle is with them, they will be safe" she then said. She had no idea Ekod and Sawani were hiding inside a tree trunk.

The rain got to be a heavy downpour and mother had to close the door to their hut.

 

CHAPTER

At the big tree where EKodi and little Sawani were hiding they could see the rain which started to pour heavily.

"oh its raining heavily now" little sister Sawani said.

"Lets stay under the tree sister" Ekodi said.

"The rain drops are very big" LIttle sister Sawani noticed

"yes very very big, but dont be scared sister, we are safe here"Ekodi  said.

They stood there with nothing to do. Ekodi pulled his kite closer to where they were so it wouldn't get wet.

He saw that Sawani was nervous and thought of how to cheer her, he then asked  her

"do you know a song that we can sing?"

"i'm not sure" she replied

"but you do sister, i know you do, mother sings with you always in the gardens"

Little sister Sawani thought for a while then she said

"i've got one"

"which one?" Ekodi asked.

Listen to the words well, mother often sings it when its raining to our little baby boy Chieng(sun).

this is how it goes,

" 'Rain rain go away, come again another day'

thats the song , its very short" she told her brother

Ekodi liked the song and asked her," what are the words sister"

Sister Sawani sung it to him slowly,

"'Rain...rain.....go....away.....come....again....another.....day' those are the words you see sing with me Ekodi.

Together they begun to sing the short song under the tree trunk while the rain kept

pouring.

"rain....rain...go....away....come....again...another....day" they then both laughed and were not scared.

"lets sing it again" Ekodi then told her,"the rains might hear us and stop"

they both sung the song again

"rain rain go away

come again another day"

"again" ekodi said

"rain rain go away

come again another day"

As they sung the song again and again the rains soon stopped and the dark clouds begun to disappear.

"oh look sister its stopped raining" Ekodi said as he picked up his kite and walked out of the hole of the tree trunk.

"wow we sung for the rain to stop and it did" Sister Sawani said

"come sister lets get back to the grass fields, where we can reach home easily" Ekodi then said

the ground was wet and slippery but they walked down the hill carefully.

"we are almost at our place" Ekodi said when he saw their farm and the grass fields near

. As they walked Ekodi stopped and looked up, the sky was brighter now and the sun had come up. He looked behind them and saw something strange up in the sky.

"sister look"Ekodi said pointing to the strange phenomena.

"what Ekodi" his sister asked.

"look there, " EKodi pointed at the colourful object in the sky

Sister Sawani saw it and asked," what is it?"

Ekodi then remembered something his brother said," hmm, brother David  says that after it rains there are colours in the sky called a rainbow"

"Really?" Sister Sawani was impressed.

"yes sister  and it looks beautiful" Ekodi said.

"We might even reach it if we walk closer to it" Ekodi told her. Together then started back up the hill where the rainbow touched the earth.

"how near is it" Sawani asked

"just beyond that hill, come  Ekodi told her," we can always run back home from here if it rains again"

They walked the distance to the hill and were ontop of the hill

"We've made it to the start of the rainbow" Ekodi said excitedly

but as he looked around there was no rainbow touching the ground anywhere near the hill.

"where is the rainbow" Ekodi was buffled.

"its further ahead Ekodi" sister Sawani said  pointing far far away at the horizon

"thats just too far, we'll never reach it" Ekodi said disappointed.

"No one can reach it i think"SIster Sawani then told him

"But its still beautiful and even bigger from up here" she said

"yes it is" Ekodi replied.

"what are the colours of the rainbow that we can see?" Sister Sawani asked

"the colors are Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, violet, thats what my brother Osano told me in his school book drawing of a rainbow" Ekodi told her.

"Let me try, Red, Orange, yellow, green, blue, Indigo, violet ...."

"yes well done sister" Ekodi said . They were both glad they knew the rainbow colors. They soon got tired and started back home.

When they reached home they saw mother and uncle and father by the hut

"where have you two children been, didnt the rain catch you"mother asked

Ekodi and Sawani were nervous

Ekodi answered," we were too far from home mother so we hid under the tree trunk,we are very sorry"

"dont go too far from home chidren without someone older" Uncle said shaking his head disappointedly.

"we understand mother" the two children said. Ekodi felt gulity about what he'd done going far away from home to play. He decided not to do it again.

When they were inside the house Ekodi told his brother

"David we saw the rainbow you drew in your school book outside today after the rainfall"

"thats brilliant"David told him

"come outside and see it" Ekodi told his brothers. Together then, they went outside again and looked up at the sky.They were all glad to have see the rainbow after the rain.

The rainbow was still there with all its colours, Red orange Yellow Green, blue , indigo, violet....

THE END..

 

© 2013 MPetersPoems&shortstories


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

158 Views
Added on October 16, 2013
Last Updated on October 16, 2013

Author

MPetersPoems&shortstories
MPetersPoems&shortstories

tororo, east africa, Uganda



About
i like to write poems as a hobby, im 29 and a ugandan living in tororo. ive just started to write short childrens stories as well. more..

Writing