UNIVERSITY SURVIVOR MEDALLION OF HONOR

UNIVERSITY SURVIVOR MEDALLION OF HONOR

A Story by poetdoug
"

Thanks to my author-writer friend, I am accepting their challenge to write up the story behind the Medallion picture that I use on Writer's Cafe. Thanks to all for their encouraging words.

"
SURVIVORS--Here's a Tip of the Hat to Survivors---wherever they are!
I just never ever thought I'd be eligible to receive a Gold  Medal for it!
Each September when I advance one more year chronologically, I try to read about how other famous folks  'Survived' their Birthdays as they entered a larger decade. Now this month, as I enter my Seventh Decade, I realize---just 3 more, and I'm an Octogenarian!
Wow, are there actually Awards for that too?
This week I read some of the world-famous comedian Bob Hope's laugh lines on the Birthdays of each of his latter decades.
At age 70 he said:" I still chase women, but only downhill!"
At 80 he said: "That's when even your Birthday Suit needs pressing!"
At 90---"You know you are old when the Candles cost more than your actual Birthday Cake."
At 100 he said: "I don't feel old, In fact, I don't feel anything at all until Noon---then it's time to take a nap!"
My Medallion Award kind of caught me by surprise.  My wife and I attended my Alma Mater's 50th Year Anniversary Banquet.  Officials announced the awards for all who had graduated 50 years ago---so I raised my hand. "Come up and receive your Gold Medallion" they said.  There I was presented my Medal by the President of Southwestern University, Dr. Kermit Bridges. I grinned as he placed the red and blue ribbon Gold Medallion around my neck.  Reveling in the applause, I then smiled for all the photos being taken of this memorable event.
As the flashbulbs popped, my whole life seemed to flash before my very eyes.I thought about the University activities I'd enjoyed like being elected President of the Student Body and Editor in chief for the university newspaper.
Yes, I was born an "Army brat" during World War II in San Antonio, Texas.  My father Raymond was stationed on the Island of Guam in the South Pacific serving as Staff Sergeant in charge of keeping the classic B-29 bombers rolling.
Thankfully, Dad survived WWII and my Mom and I too.  I recall the hand painted colorful Coconut Dad brought me back from Guam as we welcomed him among many other returning Heroes.  No dry eye in the house. Survivors in uniforms.!
As I entered school I often joked that America's Discoverer Christopher Columbus and I had much in common age wise--He was born in 1492, and me in 1942.
Yes, I was present for the invention of the Hula Hoop in the l950's---not to mention grit and honey voiced Elvis Presley and his Blue Suede Shoes.
Older citizens today remember World War II, Pearl Harbor, Normandy and Hitler.  We remember the Atomic Age, the Korean War, Viet Nam, the Cold War, the Jet Age and the Moon Landing.  We remember the 50 plus American Peacekeeping Missions from 1945 to 2005, not to mention the New York Twin Towers Terrorists Attack , Iraq War and Afghanistan.
I enjoy being a Texas Rangers Baseball fan as well as cheering on the Dallas Cowboys.  I am blessed to live only 2 miles from both Stadiums.  We Seniors are easy to spot at sporting events and during the playing of the National Anthem as we remove our caps and stand at attention and sing without embarrassment.
Remember, we've already survived it all! We know the words and believe in them as we salute Old Glory fluttering in the blue breeze.
We remember that our great country is protected, not by politicians, but by the young men and women in the military service of their country.
As I joined the ROTC while in High School, I learned to fire the old M-1 Rifle---and enjoyed displaying the red/blue bruised thumb to prove it! (I think my right thumb is still a bit crooked)
Sure, over the years my heart has been broken. How can it not break when you lose a loved one, when a child suffers, or a beloved pet gets hit by a car? I found it most challenging to be right by my wife Dolly's bedside as she underwent open heart surgery in St. Louis Barnes Hospital.
But broken hearts are what give us strength and compassion. A heart never broken is pristine and sterile and will never know the joy of being imperfect.
Now, it is the Winter of my life and it still catches me by surprise.  How did I get here so quickly?  Where did all those years go?
As one gets older, it becomes much easier to be positive.  You can less about what others think.  I've quit  questioning myself anymore. I believe I've finally earned the Right ---to be Wrong sometimes!
I like the person I have prayerfully become. I am not going to live forever here on earth, but while I am here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be.  I'm still working for that classic Gold Crown in Heaven.
And I shall eat chocolate ice cream every day if I want to! I'm celebrating---I'm now a SURVIVOR,and I have the Gold Medallion to prove it.
Excuse me now, while I go join Bob Hope and press my wrinkled Birthday Suit.
One-Hundred---Here I come!
2013 by DRR 
Member Texas State Historical Society

© 2013 poetdoug


Author's Note

poetdoug
Thanks for following me down this YELLOW BRICK ROAD of Survivor-ship. No wonder I met and married my lovely wife in KANSAS almost 50 Years ago!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Thanks for this 'peek behind the curtain' Wizard Doug. It was an honour to be able to tread the path with you as a guide. Bravo and congratulations my friend.


Posted 10 Years Ago


poetdoug

10 Years Ago

You are most kind my talented Belfast friend.
Congrats Doug. Interesting story too

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

poetdoug

10 Years Ago

Thank you my friend.
Thanks for this invite...and congrats...the commentary you take us through in the lines here...gives us a better insight...I liked the quotes of Bob Hope...the whole narrative really...good day...

Posted 10 Years Ago


poetdoug

10 Years Ago

Thank you Glen. Glad you enjoyed it.
My fav lines"
A heart never broken is pristine and sterile and will never know the joy of being imperfect."
"I believe I've finally earned the Right ---to be Wrong sometimes!"
Thank you for sharing your life. You are a very adorable person and my best wishes for your 100.


Posted 10 Years Ago


poetdoug

10 Years Ago

Thanks so much Avinash
The picture is wonderful, the award is wonderful, and your story is fabulous!! I am so happy you responded to the request of another writer to share with us how you received such a memorable award to commemorate this important milestone in life!
May we each embrace as such with the same grace as you have!
BRAVO!!!

Posted 10 Years Ago


poetdoug

10 Years Ago

Thanks so much Lady Sheila for your gracious remarks my friend.
⊰ℛℛ⊱
Wow, this is a neat story. But - the photo is messed up, at least here in Firefox. Here is what I am seeing,
http://bit.ly/18MKwA4
If you like, maybe put the photo at the top. I've seen that, "Author's note" bar thing on top of other photos in Writer's Cafe in the past.


Posted 10 Years Ago


poetdoug

10 Years Ago

Thanks, but Sami said the pic is very nice. So I guess it depends on how you open it. I can see it f.. read more
dw817

10 Years Ago

Well actually it looks great at the top now. Nice job ! Did you ever handle a firearm in the service.. read more
Thank you for sharing this write with us...Very nice pic too...:)

Posted 10 Years Ago


poetdoug

10 Years Ago

Thanks Sami, much appreciated.
Sami Khalil

10 Years Ago

You are welcome...:)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

406 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 21, 2013
Last Updated on September 22, 2013
Tags: University Medal of Honor; REALI, Comedian Bob Hope's Birthday Lau

Author

poetdoug
poetdoug

Dallas, TX



About
Member Academy of American Poets Member Texas State Historical Society Free lance writer for GUIDEPOSTS Magazines, and The EVANGEL, DEVOZINE Teen Magazine; Standard Publishing and Gospel Publishi.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..