THE ASTROMATES... Chapter 2...Part 2.

THE ASTROMATES... Chapter 2...Part 2.

A Story by ron s king
"

A continuation of my book.

"

She sat alone in the third booth down, an untouched glass of wine beside the Prediction magazine. Slight and demure, she had close-cropped red hair and wore steel-rimmed glasses. Looking up as I approached, her eyes widened in expectation.
"Lilly Specs?"
She nodded, half rising. Do I kiss her? Grab hold of her? Was it fear in her eyes, that I might do just that? Meekly, I introduced myself, allowing her hand to rest in mine for the merest of time.
"I’m Richard Kimble." I said. "Sorry I’m late."
Actually, I wasn’t late, some minutes early in fact. She smiled, a slight wistful smile as she began to toy with her glass. I sensed some disappointment in her manner, as if she had expected someone or something different. She flushed, staring down at her drink, perhaps sensing I had read her thoughts.
"Can I get you a glass of wine?"
She shook her head, pointing to the full glass in front of her. Excusing myself, I made my way to the bar, ordered a glass of the house wine and returned to the table. I was aware she watched as I came, her eyes roving up and down until I sat opposite. I smiled and was rewarded with a weak smile before her eyes went back to her glass. God, I thought, this is going to be hard work.
"I’m sorry I was so late." I said again, trying to open up the conversation.
Who said Aries was first to make moves? Well Lilly Specs didn’t seem to be that enthusiastic or willing to make any movement at all.
"I’m sorry, it’s my fault." she said suddenly. "I hate being late for anything. It’s a habit of mine."
The blue eyes behind the glasses appealed earnestly while she reached over and lightly touched my hand in a reassuring way. My heart leapt, our first real touch! She smiled again in that coy way before removing her hand. My brain whirled. Patting my jacket pocket, I let loose my first boyish grin (Well I call it boyish!) the ‘Jollybags’ ready for action. The wine tasted sour, acidic. I was a beer-drinking man, an ex-lager-lout. I always thought these wine bars, which had sprung up from the roots of snobbery, would be the ruin of us all. I finished my drink in two swift gulps, souring my face in a twisted grimace.
"You’re supposed to sip wine." said Lilly, rather primly.
"Yes. Sorry. I’m more used to drinking beer."
She nodded. "Yes, you seem like a beer-drinker to me."
Was it disapproval in her voice? Or was she quietly sending me up?
"I’m not used to meeting people like this." she said, after a while, giving me a sheepish look.
"Me neither. To be honest. I’ve never joined a dating agency before. Not that I was desperate."
Lilly nodded her head in quick agreement. Evidently, it seemed, neither of us had been that desperate.
"It was the Star-Signs which attracted me from the start. I’ve always been into Astrology. What Sun-Sign are you, Richard?"
What?
Her question had caught me off guard. What the bleeding hell had Alexo said I was? My brain panicked, then… "Sagittarius!"
The answer had ploughed its way into my brain. Her blue eyes lit up behind the glasses when she heard my answer. Now we were getting somewhere.
"I’m an Aries." she announced happily. "So we’re both Fire-Signs, and I’m also a Saggy Ascendant."
I nodded enthusiastically, having no idea what she was on about. She wasn’t the most attractive woman in the world but when a chap hasn’t ‘Dipped his wick’ in the last few decades, I thought, baby, you can light my fire any time you like!
"So we should get on flaming well." I quipped.
Lilly giggled. Now I really was in seventh heaven. What was it Alexo had said?… A giggle was worth a French-kiss? I was on my way!
"What Moon-Sign are you?"
Her question quickly brought me back down to earth. How the bleeding hell was I supposed to know? I played my joker.
"Sagittarius." I ventured boldly.
"Wow!" exclaimed Lilly, reaching out to grasp both my hands. I was red hot!
"That’s supposed to be dead lucky, born on a New Moon. I’d better keep hold of you, Richard."
I smiled. "My luck has just begun, since meeting you." I said.
Michael Caine? He wasn’t a patch on me!
Lilly was mine. Her shyness had seemed to disappear and I was sure I could see the fire reflected behind those glasses. In her element now, she rattled on about the aspects of Astrology, stopping now and again so I could nod between sentences to show appreciation.
"You haven’t finished your drink." I said, remembering that Alexo had warned me not to become too embroiled in any conversation regarding Astrology.
The change of subject stopped her dead in her tracks.
"I don’t really drink." she said after taking a delicate sip from her glass.
"In fact." she continued. "Two glasses of this stuff would have me really squiffy and acting stupid."
"Well just one more, for Fire-Signs everywhere." I implored.
Please have another, my brain begged. Please finish that one and have another. Then it’s off to bed with a squiffy redhead.
"Please, no."
She pushed her glass to one side and for the first time I sensed that fiery, independent spirit.
"I wont have any more thank you, Richard."
God! Had I blown it? Had I been too pushy, seeing only the nature of the ‘Lamb’ and now, as punishment, going to be given a battering by the ‘Ram’! Perhaps she saw the panic in my eyes. Perhaps it was the panic which caused me to reach out, only to knock over her glass of wine so it ran like a small river over the table. Lilly moved quickly, springing to her feet.
"I’m sorry, so sorry." I nearly sobbed, washing at the table with my one good handkerchief.
Lilly Specs was smiling at me. I smiled back, weakly.
"Leave it, Richard. Come with me." she ordered, taking my hand and leading me like a naughty boy, threading our way out into the street.
I began to realise what the Aries nature was all about, the first impression being sheepish, often clumsy and woolly-headed but give the girl her head and she becomes the ‘Ram’, leading you on.
"Where are we going?" I asked, almost having to run in an effort to keep up with her.
It seems that the Aries has to move fast in order to be first in line (It’s the ‘White Rabbit Syndrome", you know, from Alice in Wonderland, never to be late!)
"We, Richard?"
Lilly had pulled up short, our hands losing contact. She turned, smiling.
"Well, I’m off home right now." she said.
"But…"
She retook my hand, seeing the hurt look in my eyes.
"Oh, Richard, I do like you. Don’t look so sad."
What was her game? I mean, if I like a girl then I show it by sleeping with her, you know, show her affection and all that. I began to wonder if Lilly got her kicks by leading men up the garden path.
"At least, let me take you home." I begged, giving it one last chance.
She smiled, giving my hand a squeeze.
"Not tonight, Richard. But, if you would really like to, I will meet you again."
"Yes, of course I’ll meet you again." I bleated.
"Good. How about tomorrow night? I’ll show you what I really like to do."
The emphasis on the ‘I’ set my pulses racing. So it’s true, she really did want to take the lead! Well, that’s okay by me, especially if it meant a hot bath and ‘Beddy-Byes’.
"I can’t wait." I croaked, drawing her close to me.
"Do you know where Everard Street is?" she asked, pulling away.
"Along by the High Street? Yes, I know it."
"I’ll meet you there at eight, outside the chemists’ shop."
"Where would you like to go tomorrow?" I asked.
"Don’t worry about that, Richard."
She smiled wickedly. She was up to something.
"And you wont tell me what we’ll be up to?"
She reached up and lightly touched my cheek with her lips before pulling herself away.
"It’s going to be a surprise, Richard. See you then. Bye."
I watched her slight figure turn the corner before seeking out the nearest pub, to prop the bar up and dream about the joys of what was to come the next evening.

The next morning I visited Alexo at his office to make my report out. He listened intently before making copious notes in a pad on his desk.
"Well done, old chap. You go to it tonight. Put your best foot forward and let me know the outcome A.S.A.P. Off you go now and good luck."
It wasn’t luck I wanted and it wasn’t my best foot I’d be putting forward. I knew what outcome the little Aries maiden would be getting!
Whistling cheerfully, I set off home for a good long soak and a shave, followed by a liberal dose of aftershave and a splashing of deodorant, before putting on my white hunting shirt and my one good shagging suit.
I might have guessed Lilly would be early. She was standing, a black holdall between her feet, staring into the chemists’ window. She seemed even smaller and fragile than the night before (But you know what they say about the nearer the bone, the sweeter the meat!)

© 2013 ron s king


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

59 Views
Added on December 20, 2013
Last Updated on December 20, 2013

Author

ron s king
ron s king

London, Kent, United Kingdom



About
I am a writer and poet of a number of books with an especial fondness of poetry, Free-Verse, Sonnets, etc. I have written over forty books, all of which are published by Lulu. I am also an Astro-Psy.. more..

Writing