THE ASTROMATES... Chapter 6...Part 2.

THE ASTROMATES... Chapter 6...Part 2.

A Story by ron s king
"

A continuation of my book

"

"Now we have that out of the way." I said. "What about some info on my next date. I take it she will be a Leo female?"
"Naturally, dear boy."
Alexo opened the folder, playing with the papers inside, a secretive smile on his lips. I hated it when he smiled like that, he always had something to hide. Still pondering, then gazing at me as if to determine my mettle, he said… "Her name is Leonora Jackson. Age Twenty-five. Status, separated, the husband disappearing two years ago. Two children…"
Alexo had said the last two words quickly and quietly but I had heard them!
"So!" I cried. "You’re asking me to date a Leo female with two kids after what you’ve just told me! Are you insane?"
Alexo held up both hands, slowly parting them, like Moses parting the Red Sea.
"This is the whole point of the exercise, old bean. The idea is to see what reaction you get. And don’t forget, flattery is a fine tool, its sharp blade will open up any Leo females’ heart."


"These are my two little ones." said Leonora, pulling the children out from behind her. The boy and girl clutched at their mothers’ skirt as they stared at me, it seemed, with open dislike.
It had been agreed I meet Leonora and her brood at Battersea Funfair, at the little café by the Burger stand. The traffic had been bad, bus-slow, and I worried about being late. The meeting had been for two o’clock, now it was half-past the hour. She had waited, laughing off my apologies as she accepted my hand. When she laughed, I noticed tiny wrinkles which creased the bridge of her nose, very leonine. She was tall and graceful in movement as she walked into the café. I found her to be happy and enthusiastic, forthright by nature and, when she laughed, she tossed her auburn hair so the mass swirled round her shoulders. God, she was magnificent! I had always suffered a fear of rejection, especially when it came to talking to a pretty woman. I became tongue-tied and insecure but this woman quickly put me at ease, drifting me into conversation with an easy flow of good-natured jesting, all of which left me little to do except nod and laugh with her.
"I’ll get some tea and cakes." I said, ducking down to peer at the little faces behind her skirt. They stared back with round-eyed silence.
"You sit down, Richard. I’ll get the tea. I know what my children like."
Off she went, the children in tow, not even bothering to accept the money I offered. Back they came.
"What’s your name?" I asked the little boy.
It was like talking to a ghost as, keeping his eyes down, he stuffed a jam doughnut into his mouth.
"His name’s Michael and he’s five years old." said Leonora, wiping the jam from his mouth with a tissue. "They’re shy." she went on, nibbling at a cake. "And this one is Shelly. She’s just turned three."
The little girl looked at me with solemn grey eyes.
"They’re beautiful children." I said.
"Just like their mother." laughed Leonora, tossing her hair and beaming with pride, stroking the children's’ heads.


We spent the whole afternoon just walking and talking, stopping only to spend time pushing the children on the swings and a ride on the gaily coloured chariot of the roundabout. Leonora had explained that her husband had run off with another woman. It seemed Leonora had not paid him enough attention once the children had arrived. I hadn’t broached the subject, she offering the information and I wondered who would be mad enough to leave such a delicious lady. I said how sorry I was but Leonora had just smiled grimly, determined to get by without begging, there was too much pride at stake. I noticed she never took her eyes off the children, pulling them close whenever anyone came near. Shelly had become tired and Leonora lifted the little girl up, refusing my offer of help, carrying her in one arm while holding Michaels’ hand. Her strength seemed tireless. Again, I offered my help. Again it was refused.
"Shelly has to get to know you first, Richard. She’d cry her eyes out if you tried to carry her.".
I felt so relaxed and happy in her company, even the thought of the waiting ‘Jollybags’ refused to enter my head. At least, my offer of a taxi-ride home was gratefully accepted, the children excited to be sitting in the back of a big black London cab.
"Come in, Richard."
I couldn’t believe it. I had known this beautiful creature just one afternoon and here I was, being invited into the family home. It was a world of comfort, seated on a large settee with a drink in my hand.
"Make yourself at home." she had said and, pouring me a drink (Whisky would do fine.).. she carried the sleepy little girl up to bed. Michael stood by the armchair, his eyes on me with some concern. I grinned at him but got no payback. He stared, one foot rubbing against the other. This, I decided, was going to be hard work, getting the child on my side. He listened to the sounds of his mother in the room above before putting on the television, becoming entranced at the carrying-on between the ‘Wily Coyote’ and the ‘Roadrunner’. Actually I had not seen this particular cartoon myself. Soon both Michael and I were laughing at the same mistakes and failures of the Coyote to catch the fast-moving bird. I wasn’t sure why I laughed, my own love-life being in tune with the Coyotes’ moves, each one a part of a list of total failures. Well, it seemed so, until Leonora had arrived on the scene. I decided to kiss Alexo the very next time I saw him!
"What’s so funny?"
Leonora had floated into the room, her arms full of dishes, eyes bright with happiness at seeing her son sharing the cartoon with me.
"Sit down. Please sit, Richard." she said when I rose to offer my help.
"You boys will only get in the way." she finished, moving to the table by the window and unloading the dishes with care so as not to distract us from our enjoyment.
This was the life! It was true, the lovely Leo had made the meal, killed it, prepared it and now sat back as her mate ate it! The chicken salad and cherry tart went down a treat. Leonora ate sparingly, spending more time trying to coax Michael into eating as much as he could. With a cup of tea in my hand, I relaxed again into the comfort of the settee. I could hear Leonora singing softly as she washed the dishes in the kitchen. Michael had brought out his toy-box, sorting out little cars and trains, casting a wary eye in my direction when he thought I wasn’t looking. My eyes were glued to the television screen but, from the corner of an eye, I saw Michael push one of the cars towards me. Putting down my teacup, I reached and picked up the car, making out to play with it on the carpet. Michael rolled another one and soon we were the best of buddies, at least until his mother came in and sat down beside me. I could smell her perfume, sense her warmth, too frightened to move in case anything went wrong. Michael put down his toys, coming over to climb onto her lap. Jealous little sod! She cuddled him, stroking his hair while, all the time, his eyes were glued to mine as if to say… "She’s mine, not yours!"
That’s okay kid, I thought. I’ve got all the time in the world. Sure enough, in time, the little chaps’ eyes began closing. I urged him off to ‘Noddyland’, urging Leonora to take him upstairs before it got too late. My mind had never urged so much!
"I’ll just pop Michael up to bed." whispered Leonora. "He’s worn out, bless him."
I nodded, my face creased into a loving smile at the little boys’ angelic features. At last! My wishful urging had paid off. Now I would have Leonora all to myself. Oh joy, this is the stuff such dreams are made of! Leonora came creeping down the stairs, showing me crossed fingers for luck.
"They should sleep right through now." she said, pouring herself a small drink.
I refused another, not wanting a fuzzy mind to interfere with my intentions.
"Shall I put a video on?" she asked.
A video! That was at least two hours of being here, alone with her. My mind was in a state of bliss. A video? The longer, the better. I could get no more comfortable, or so it seemed, until she put ‘Sleepless In Seattle’ on, turned down the sound and switched off the main light, leaving a side lamp to throw out a softened gleam around the room. Leonora sighed with contentment, stretching out next to me, her arm looping mine.
"It’s a long time since I allowed myself the pleasure of a date." she said softly.
I turned to face her and, not being able to stop myself, nuzzled her hair. It smelt so good and soft, the perfume wafting my mind.
"I bet you could have any man you wanted." I whispered.
She smiled.
"There’s not many men who would want a woman with two little tots in tow but thanks for the compliment, it’s been a long time since I’ve had one of those."
She put her drink down and turned, her gorgeous green eyes soft in the lamplight. We leaned towards each other, lips slightly parted.

© 2014 ron s king


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

131 Views
Added on January 2, 2014
Last Updated on January 2, 2014

Author

ron s king
ron s king

London, Kent, United Kingdom



About
I am a writer and poet of a number of books with an especial fondness of poetry, Free-Verse, Sonnets, etc. I have written over forty books, all of which are published by Lulu. I am also an Astro-Psy.. more..

Writing