I wrote what came out. Again.

I wrote what came out. Again.

A Story by Clarisse Nanoit
"

Feeling tired. I've had a long dang week.

"
It's June 15th at 12:45 a.m.
I really feel like I have nothing interesting to say... but I've decided to waste your time anyhow.
It's Father's Day, and I just glanced back at the last one of these I wrote, and it was written on Mother's Day. This, I suppose, is just another indication of my parental issues. Or maybe I've just had a slow friggin' summer, and I want to force myself to write something, and it's all coincidence.
I've been thinking a lot about my trip downtown the day of the APUSH test a lot recently. I mean, I went to Riverbend (a REALLY long music festival downtown) two nights this year, and it made me think of it. Just so you know, ZZ Top was there this year, and I got to go see them, but it was a little anti-climatic, because the friend I went to see them with had met Billy (the lead guy) the day before, because she works at a landmark in Chattanooga that they visit every time they're in town. Anyway, not the point. The point is, I've been thinking about the difference between culture there and here a lot more. Even a lot more than I was last time I wrote one of these. It's only about thirty minutes away from where I live, and I speak as though it's hours away, because I never have a reason to go there.
The thing is, though, I'm a country girl at heart, I really am, but I love the city. There's just something I find so very charming and intoxicating about city life. Little boutiques can survive and actually thrive there. The buildings, some of them, are old, and I'm a history girl, and I like to think someone famous from history might've been inside one of them once or twice. It sprouted up around the twenties or something, but don't quote me on that, because I don't actually know, it's an educated guess... Speaking of which, have you ever heard of the Chattanooga Choo Choo? There's a song about it. I've never heard the song. It's about this train that's now a tour thing. I've ridden it once on a field trip. Just thought I'd throw that in there.
I suppose I'll just tell you some cool stuff about Chattanooga now.
Have you ever heard of the Lookouts? They are our minor league baseball team, but they're not very good. I've been to two of their games in all my life, and we lost both. It seems every time the news reports on one of their games, they lost. There was no exception in 1931, when their only female player, 17-year-old Jackie Mitchell had her first start as pitcher (mostly as a sideshow for depression-time entertainment for poor families). As I said, the Lookouts lost, but this was no ordinary game. The Lookouts were taking on the New York Yankees in an exhibition game. Jackie struck out Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig. Not long after, Jackie was pigeonholed, as she had served her purpose, but I still love her to this day.
Don't know why I went on about that.
Well, I got bored of all that fast. Just look up keywords 'largest freshwater aquarium', 'Chief John Ross' and 'Bessie Smith' if you have to know more.
Back to the culture and my love for Chatt-town. There are dance steps on the sidewalk, and the geniuses who put them there put them right in front of the windows of stores and restaurants... so people can watch you attempt them, and by you I mean my friend Jessica, who doesn't care if people see her suck at the mamba all by herself.
I love used bookstores with squeaky floors and cafes with pale yellow aunings and overpriced food and bridges 8000 miles across and people on bikes with sweaty buttcracks and the freedom to walk across the sidewalk and paying for parking and eating in the upper room of the Subway and watching the world go by. I guess it's another thing I'll have to wait for in life. Living for myself and on my own.

© 2008 Clarisse Nanoit


Author's Note

Clarisse Nanoit
Idk what this is. I don't care if you hate it. It's not meant to be art so much as it's meant to make me feel better (somehow).

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Thoughtful, observant and informative. Story has a familiar and conversational tone. I know you didn't set out to write a piece of journalism, but it has a journalistic feel to it, at least for me. Very promising. I wonder how it would be if you had a theme to hang the writing on. All papers have columns and diary pieces a little like this I think. And if you can cheer yourself up by writing, perhaps others would also be cheered up by reading what you write. Not a bad skill set!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Thoughtful, observant and informative. Story has a familiar and conversational tone. I know you didn't set out to write a piece of journalism, but it has a journalistic feel to it, at least for me. Very promising. I wonder how it would be if you had a theme to hang the writing on. All papers have columns and diary pieces a little like this I think. And if you can cheer yourself up by writing, perhaps others would also be cheered up by reading what you write. Not a bad skill set!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Hahah. Sweaty buttcracks. lovely, just lovely. =]
It seems every time the news reports on one of their games, they lost. [the tense, kristen. =P ]

that was interesting to say the least.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

77 Views
2 Reviews
Added on June 16, 2008
Last Updated on June 16, 2008

Author

Clarisse Nanoit
Clarisse Nanoit

GA



About
By clicking on the link above, you can play a vocabulary game, and for every question you get right, sponsoring businesses donate enough money for 100 grains of rice to feed hungry people across the.. more..

Writing