My mother

My mother

A Story by poisoned_lungs
"

"
The other day I walked downstairs to my mom going through her jewelry. I asked her what she was doing and she told me that she was going to sell some of her jewelry at the pawn shop. Even though she didn't tell me what she needed money for, I already knew.
All of her jewelry that was worth any money was from my Dad and obviously held a lot of sentimental value. She sat there at the kitchen table for about an hour trying to decide which items she'd be able to let go of. I knew it was really hard on her.
It hurt me to see her so upset. I went up to my to room and found my only piece of expensive jewelry which was a ring that my grandma bought be when I was younger.
It took some convincing to get my mom to try to sell it, but she finally agreed.
I decided to go with her to the pawn shop to support her.
Once we arrived they called us back into a little room. My mom sold most of her jewelry for a lot less than it was worth. She got around thirty dollars all together. I knew she wouldn't have usually sold it at that price, but she was desperate. They told us that they could only give us five dollars for my ring because they don't pay a lot for silver. My mom decided that we weren't going to sell it.
We went back out to the car and just at there for a minute. It was obvious that my mom was really upset. I gave her my ring in hopes it would cheer her up. She smiled and hugged me.
She then drove to a run down building. I told her I was going to wait in the car. I sat there in the silence, watching different, non-wealthy families leaving with boxes of free food. I felt pity for these families. Then I realized that I fit right in here. I couldn't help but cry a little.
After about fifteen minutes, my mom came back and sat our box of food in the trunk.
Next was our last stop. She drove up to Walgreen's and told me to wait in the car. Minutes later, she came out of the store carrying a thirty case of beer and a pack of cigarettes. She got back in the car, smiled at me, and we drove home.

© 2014 poisoned_lungs


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

you have a giving spirit... I know how hard it is to let loved ones down... your "fit in" line, do you fit in there? you will ultimately decide that. will it be the askers there? or will it be the givers there? I believe you made that choice already. there is no shame in company with the needy, its just a question in what the "need" is for...

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Nicely written, and you describe the suffering your mother went through making these decisions very well.
I can see these being developed into a longer story, I am not sure if it has a happy ending or a sad one, but you should do well portraying the emotions, whichever way it goes.
Keep them coming.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

you have a giving spirit... I know how hard it is to let loved ones down... your "fit in" line, do you fit in there? you will ultimately decide that. will it be the askers there? or will it be the givers there? I believe you made that choice already. there is no shame in company with the needy, its just a question in what the "need" is for...

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

153 Views
2 Reviews
Added on April 25, 2014
Last Updated on April 25, 2014
Tags: poor, addiction, sad, alcohol, cigarettes, love, family, Mom

Author

poisoned_lungs
poisoned_lungs

Chicago, IL



About
Of many things lost, my thoughts are one of few things left. more..

Writing