POETRY EVALUATIONS

POETRY EVALUATIONS

A Story by Mike Keenan

POETRY EVALUATIONS

Dear all,


In reading myriad reviews thus far, there’s quite a divergence of responses, which range from simple ‘likes’ to comments and riffs on content to more specific poetic items. Not many know what to say about a poem. Some think that it has to rhyme. Some think a free flow of words will suffice. Actually, a poem tends to be a difficult creation.


I’m sending this outline in hope that you might use it as a guide. Frequently, responses have been that some do not know precisely how to evaluate a poem. A poem consists of words like any  other writing, so we simply evaluate words and how they are used as in other works. The major difference is that the poet is a minimalist, trying to employ the best word in the best order in the best form to create the best effect. A tall order indeed!

Thanks as always for your feedback,

Mike Keenan

 

Poetry Evaluation - Seven Suggestions

 

1.     Read the poem several times.

2.     What was your first impression, immediate response, positive/negative?

3.     Title - is it appropriate? Does it intrigue? Titles provide important clues about what’s at the heart of a piece. Sometimes, a title may be ironic.

4.     What’s the attitude/mood the poem attempts to convey?

5.     Is every word perfect/appropriate? Any to omit? Are images strong?

6.     Look at its shape. For example, are the lines short and meant to be read slowly or does the poem move quickly, and if so, why? Does it have rhythm? Does it move one along, cause one to stop?  Are the line lengths appropriate?

7.     The theme frequently relates to a universal truth, issue, or conflict. To determine the theme, look over all of your analysis and connect the dots. What’s the theme? Why was it written?

 

© 2022 Mike Keenan


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Thank you, really helpful for a new member. Saving this for reference!

Posted 2 Years Ago


An educated contribution, Mike. Certain to help many form stronger opinions on the content they read. It would certainly improve the constructive shsring and commenting on work on this site. Sometimes we can get annoyed when our work is read and the purpose behind the words completely ignored or misunderstood. Your rules for evaluation are a valuable tool. ❤

Posted 2 Years Ago


Mike Keenan

2 Years Ago

Thanks indeed; onward and upward! Cheers, Mike
I appreciate these rules for writing better poetry! Thank you for posting them. ~Sharon

Posted 2 Years Ago


Mike Keenan

2 Years Ago

Thanks indeed; onward and upward! Cheers, Mike

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

28 Views
3 Reviews
Added on March 2, 2022
Last Updated on March 5, 2022

Author

Mike Keenan
Mike Keenan

Kanata, Ontario, Canada



About
A retired English/Phys-Ed-teacher-Librarian, I write primarily poetry, humour and travel, published in many newspapers & magazines. For poetry feedback, please read my 'Poetry Evaluations' and 'Poetry.. more..

Writing