Knock Knock

Knock Knock

A Story by Pratik Mishra

Since last week someone has been knocking on my door.

 

Knock. Knock. Knock.

 

It’s the same pattern every time. Three firm knocks. Once in the afternoon and once at midnight.

 

And each time that I opened the door, there was no one. Just the sound of silence, amplified by my house in the middle of nowhere in this small village.

 

I am afraid now. Someone knocked already in the afternoon today, and I didn’t open the door. If this is some kind of prank, it’s working. I am afraid. 

 

I didn’t open the door in the afternoon, and I won’t at midnight too. Let the knocks go on for my entire life. I don’t care. In just two minutes, it’s going to be midnight. And there will be the knocking again. I am sure of it.

 

Ting.

 

The beep of my mobile tells me it’s midnight. I am sweating right now. 

 

Knock. Knock. Knock.

 

Someone knocks again. As I said, I am going to ignore them. But as I lay down in my bed, I can’t possibly ignore them.

 

Knock. Knock. Knock.

 

A chill runs down my spine.  The sound didn’t come from the door this time �" it came from under my bed.  I throw away my blanket and scream, jump and hide under a table.

 

That’s when a raspy female voice whispers from behind the door, “Won’t you let me in, my dear? Don’t be rude! You opened the door all these times….come on, be a good boy and let me in. I do very love sleeping in the bed next to you”

 

I am shivering right now. Till yesterday, I opened the door every single damn time. And now the old voice outside is telling me that it’s been sleeping next to me since last week. I have been letting in an unwanted guest. 

 

I muster up courage and walk towards the door. I have to look who’s been visiting me all this time. Shakily, I put my eye on the peephole.

 

A bloodshot eye stares back at me.

 

The figure moves back, and I focus on who it is. I want to scream, but my fear has choked me. There’s nobody. Just the bloody eye floating around the peephole. 

 

I can’t control myself. I have to find out if I am going crazy. The knocking entity has decided to show itself, and I will find out who it is.

 

I unlock the door, and open it very slightly, just enough for me to have a glance outside. That’s when I realize it may be the last mistake that I ever make.

 

A rotting black hand shoots through the gap and grabs my wrist. Sharp nails dig into my hand. The roughness of the hand is hurting me. I scream and scream and scream. But there’s no one around to hear me.

 

“It’s your turn to sleep in my house!” the raspy voice laughs fanatically.

 

The hand pulls me with force towards it, and I hit my head on the half open door and black out. The last thing I see is a bloodshot eye and a grin, revealing sharp rotten teeth.

 

Knock. Knock. Knock. 

© 2020 Pratik Mishra


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

25 Views
Added on July 6, 2020
Last Updated on July 6, 2020

Author

Pratik Mishra
Pratik Mishra

mumbai, kalyan, India



About
Constantly trying to improve as a writer. more..

Writing
The Bad The Bad

A Chapter by Pratik Mishra