The Runner

The Runner

A Story by Praveen Kumar A.X.

I lost again.

Maybe for the hundredth time. I decided never again.

My confidence was down the drain. "What is this life?" I asked myself.

I was sure everyone could feel like this, at-least once in a while. But i ran out of giving any excuses this time to comfort myself.

Then i saw him.

I was walking by the football ground to take my bike from the parking lot. Every evening there would be practice session for players from various teams- Basketball, Volleyball, Football and so on.

Athletes were warming up at one side of the playground. I saw a runner in a white t-shirt and a matching trouser. He was pushing himself for another lap.

I was sure he could give-up in the next lap. He can never do one more lap. I was very much positive about that.

But he went on. By the look of his sweaty face and weak legs, i had determined wrongly. He ran for the next twenty minutes non-stop. Nothing ground breaking but still he blew all my math.

At that moment something deep inside me broke silently. I had been ignorant and i was judging myself of all the failures in my life.

The determination of the runner had seeped into me. "When he did not stop, why should I do?". Never in my life had i felt that amount of confidence burst inside me.

I told myself, "Anybody who has seen him run could have felt the same. "

That runner was 76 year old on that day!  

© 2012 Praveen Kumar A.X.


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wonderful! Beautiful twist in the end. Loved it!

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

143 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 18, 2012
Last Updated on July 18, 2012
Tags: Short Story, Life, Hope

Author

Praveen Kumar A.X.
Praveen Kumar A.X.

Bangalore, Karnataka, India



About
I Love Reading.... Writing is the side-effect i had to suffer due to reading a lot of stuff. Please do drop a piece of comment for my articles. Because i believe a good writer will never be born.. more..

Writing