SELFLESS ACT

SELFLESS ACT

A Story by Abhishek
"

A modern story of an ambitious girl, daughter of a minister, running an NGO. But is this really a social act? I leave to the readers.

"

“Let them come, please let them come”, a female voice surrounded by the guards, echoed in a huge hall of the hospital. The reporters immediately responded to that voice and all came close to the lady for the interview.

“Congratulations ma’am, another milestone added in your accolade. How are you feeling today?” one of the reporter asked the lady after trying to manage his falling mic because of the sudden competition among the reporters to take the interview exclusively for their channels and newspapers.

“It’s just my duty as a citizen of this country and as a social activist to help our community by doing whatever we can do under our power. Being a grand-daughter of freedom fighter, I feel proud if I could be of some help to my country. Today my NGO has been able to convince 200 people for this blood donation camp. Next time we are planning for about 500 people, so that no one dies of blood shortage.”

“One more question ma’am!”

“Yes, go on “.

“Are you planning to come into politics, just like your father?”

“I’m happy doing what I like most. And I don’t think I would fit into it as politics is not my cup of tea. Thank you all for your time and concern. Now please excuse me for I have to attend a school of under-privileged children. They need me there”.

The car was waiting at the entrance of the gate. The driver rushed to open the gate as the lady and her secretary came out of the hall to reach the car.

“Nice lines ma’am. Tomorrow you’ll be in all the city newspapers and local TV channels”, Sarla, the secretary of the lady told her while getting in the car.

“That’s what I want. After all why I have chosen this profession as my career and not politics”, Mamta, the lady said in reply feeling proud of what she has just done.

“Driver, to Shree Ganga Public School” and the driver, following her order, steered the car towards the destination.

 

 

Mamta Chauhan, a graduate in B.Com Political Science, 32 year old daughter of State Railway Minister Pratap Singh Chauhan and grand daughter of freedom fighter Late Shri Lal Singh Chauhan, has always been an ambitious girl. Born in a reputed family and brought up with all the limelight around her, it was obvious for her to do things which could make her be in “page three” almost every week. Late Shri Lal Singh Chauhan’s sacrifice for his country together with his father Mr. Chauhan’s 15 year long career as minister of state, has made her way all the more cautious while choosing the career of her liking.

Being the only child of Mr. Chauhan, every MLA and party member expected Mamta to be part of the party and be the leader of Female Youth Brigade, but to everyone’s surprise she chose not to step into politics. However, only a few know the reason that she fears of competition and hates to be a part of the crowd. And what better could be than being a social activist. People always see you with a sense of respect, you are your own king and the spotlight will always be on you. All blocks ticked. It’s better to be a shark of the sea than a piranha of the river. After all she was getting all what she ever wanted and she had full support from her family.

Running the NGO might be a gamble looking situation for a person who is fresh in this field but everything just seemed smooth for Mamta, mainly because of the political background and the biggest power she possessed, yes you guessed it right being a lady. No one would deny a beautiful, a daughter of a minister when she enters the room of your office to ask for donations in the name of the welfare of the society. Having spent 5 years in this area and knowing every tic and tac of it, she has become a renowned name of the district and was slowly on the verge of becoming a name to be known nation-wide.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Look, your name is in every newspaper. They have covered the story well”- Mr. Chauhan feeling happy and proud of her daughter called out to Mamta while taking the morning tea in the dining hall of his bungalow.

Being the state minister, and the authority he had, the bungalow had every facility you would find in a five star hotel. The security was 24/7 on alert and except for family, no one was allowed to enter without proper scanning. From pool to lush green lawn to a mini lounge, it had all a person desires for his own. It suited with the aura of Mr.Chauhan.

“Let me see”- Mamta coming down from the stairs and joining her father for the breakfast took the paper from him to read the news.

The news was well written praising her of making blood donation in the camp. The headline wrote-“The bold lady making her name in social cause apart from being a minister’s daughter”. She took a snap of the news and uploaded in the social site.

“Pranaam Sir”, MLA Harish Pathak arrived at the table with a box of sweets to congratulate Mamta.

 “Pranaam Pathak Ji. How come you forgot the way to our home?”

“Nothing sir. I’ve come here to congratulate Mamta bitiya on behalf of all the party members personally. She has made proud of all of us with all her work”.

“After all, this is what we call women empowerment. To let a women do anything of her choice and stand shoulder to shoulder, head high with a man”- said Mamta with a smile.

“Correct beti ji. “But now sir, I think you should talk to the higher authorities to recommend her name for the national award in social welfare field. In this way, she will get national exposure plus she rightfully deserves this”.

“But I don’t think this is correct Pathak Ji for me to go and talk about it”- Mr. Chauhan said in a rejecting tone.

“That you leave to us. When will we be of some work! You just give us your blessings and leave everything about this on us. This year Mamta bitiya will surely get the award”, and Pathak Ji exited taking the permission.

“I too will leave dad. I have to see whether the staff is working properly or not” Mamta said and she kissed her dad to bid good bye and checking her profile on the social site which showed 100 likes in a  span of 10 minutes on a picture of the news snap she has just posted.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Why aren’t there any reporters? Haven’t I told you before to contact that editor of Amar Jagran about this and make sure that it is covered? Why have I hired you  as my secretary.” Mamta came all guns blazing on Sarla as soon as she came out of the slum distributing warm clothes to slum children and returning back to her NGO office.

“I’m sorry madam. I informed him but I think the reporter must have forgotten”

“That’s the excuse you will give to me? And what do you expect me…. to believe you? I mean what I’m here for? Do you think that I’m just here to distribute these clothes among these filthy looking, ugly kids and become a ‘devi’ in their eyes? What’s the use of all this if it is not covered by the media. Why am I rubbing my a*s all day without any social attention?? Do you think that I am here for their blessings. These people who even can’t afford a loaf of bread of two times for their family, I am dying to take their blessings and that’s why I came here?”

Knowing the temperature was rising Sarla just lowered her head and all she could say or the only sentence that came out of her mouth was “Sorry madam, forgive me this time. I will make sure that this never happens again”.

“You better be. I could have easily joined politics and be in AC room but I chose this because here there is no danger of getting a bad image and you don’t have to get your hands dirty. But I don’t do this for these things only. Here I get more media attention without lowering yourself.

And the best part is you don’t have to give explanation every-time of why and what you are doing. There’s no use if I don’t get the media attention for my work. So, next time be very careful and keep your eyes and ears open.”

“Yes madam”.

“Now do one thing post the pictures you took there on my social media account and look to it that the caption is catchy. I want it to be catchy and remember to give it hash-tag #Selfless_Act.       

Okay madam.

Now where do we have to go now? Any more public appearances?

Yes madam. We have to visit a seminar on social welfare at 4 in the evening at Grand Marriot Hotel but before that you have an interview for a local TV channel regarding the blood donation camp we did last week and I have also informed them about this distribution of clothes and food in the slum area. They will add that too in their interview.

“Hmmm. Now you are talking. Now this is called doing the things your way. Good job Sarla. Now you’ve started thinking just like me. Just keep on doing the work like this and you will get the reward for it.”

“Thank You madam”- Sarla said with a smile forgetting what the same person has said to her minutes before making her feel embarrassed in front of those slum people.

Suddenly the phone rang and Sarla took the call.

“Congratulations madam. Pathak Ji called to inform that you have been selected for the national award in social welfare activity by the National social welfare association. The function is next week.”

“Seriously!!! Finally all my hard work and efforts have come to colors. I was waiting for it.”

“Sure madam. They cannot ignore what all you have done and after all you are the State Minister’s daughter.”- Sarla said in a promising tone.

“That’s true. Now me and my NGO will have a nation-wide recognition. I will have the opportunity to expand it throughout the country, and get more exposure than I ever have. Now I don’t have to call these local media people and inform them what I am going to do next. They themselves will be after me, looking out for my next move. But first and foremost, I must thank Pathak Ji, he assured me that he will not let any stone unturned for me from getting that prize. I will personally meet and thank him today. Driver, to the bungalow. I need to get ready before going to the interview.”

The driver steered the car towards the bungalow of Mr. Chauhan while Mamta made herself busy in surfing the internet and Sarla took out the diary in which she has written all the information about the meeting schedules of Mamta. The sun above the clouds was shining with all its glory while the car was heading towards its destination.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Madam, the car is ready. We are ready to go”- Sarla said from outside the gate.

“Wait , coming.” Mamta coming out wearing a blue colored saari for the occasion. Today was a big day of her life as she was going to be awarded the national award for her work in the field, from the HRD Minister herself.

“How I’m I looking?” she asked managing the pallu of her saari.

“Beautiful, as usual”.

“I know”- she said winking at Sarla.

Suddenly the phone flashed with the message on the screen. It was Mr.Chauhan’s message, ‘Sorry dear, won’t be able to attend your award ceremony due to an urgent work in the ministry. My best wishes are and always  with you. Your mom must have been very proud of you today had she been alive and so am I’.

‘Ahhh!! Wish you could attend dad’, Mamta said in her mind and moved towards car.

‘Wait. I will drive today. You take a leave’, taking the keys from the driver, she moved to open the door of the driver’s seat. Sarla followed her taking the seat beside hers.

It was 11 in the morning of June and the sun was already on its full glory with people just escaping the heat and protecting themselves under ACs and fans. Only few people could be seen on the road. Mamta was on cloud nine today and imagining the ceremony in her mind she put the accelerator in full throttle.

“Easy madam”- warned Sarla

“Don’t worry, no one is going to come out to burn themselves in this scorching heat”-  Mamta said in an assuring voice and took a moment away from looking in front while driving to search for her cell phone. Suddenly the car hit something, Mamta put on the brakes as hard as she could. The car came to a halt after some 6 seconds and both the ladies came out of the car to look what had happened.

A lady with her 4 or 5 year old child, were lying in front of them covered with blood. Sarla immediately knelt down to look at them and feel their pulses but as she was not a doctor, neither she had any knowledge about it, stood up and looked at Mamta. Mamta, by that time, had turned like a stone, not moving and almost like she had no life in her.        

Suddenly, all the consequences of this started flashing in front of her eyes. Her career, her reputation, her father’s pride, everything looked vanishing making her shiver from heat to toe. Sarla, making her mind to work and realizing the situation came close to Mamta.

“Mamta, listen nothing happened, you were not here. It was just an accident. You take a cab and go to the function. I’ll talk to your father and handle the situation. You just leave from here. Do you listen? Just leave”.

Mamta not knowing of her whereabouts, making her senses to work again after this sudden shock, followed what Sarla said and ran away from that place. Meanwhile, Sarla did what she was best at, managing the situation. She called the ambulance, after informing Mr. Chauhan about the whole situation and removing every evidence she can, from the spot.

6 months later

It was Sunday morning and Mr. Chauhan was sitting in his lawn enjoying the cool breeze of winter with a hot cup of tea and newspaper.

The   headline read, ‘Another Selfless Act by the modern Mother Teresa, Mamta Chauhan’, with a picture of her in a blood donation campaign with over 500 volunteers coming up for their blood donation.

Alongside it, in the corner of the page, there was another news which read as follows �" A recent survey shows that hundreds of innocent people die in road accident mainly because of the rash driving of the drivers. These people don’t even get justice after their death because the drivers were either in power or have bribed the policemen for settlement. A few months back a lady with her 5 year old son died in a road rash, while crossing the road. Our sources have asked some of the so called eye-witnesses of that accident and they have said without revealing their names, that they saw two ladies coming out of the car which they believe to be the daughter of  Pratap Singh Chauhan, the State Minister. However the police denied any such things to have happened and said that they are still investigating in the matter…..  

 

 

© 2020 Abhishek


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

3 Views
Added on July 9, 2020
Last Updated on July 9, 2020
Tags: #social_act, #guilt

Author

Abhishek
Abhishek

Prayagraj, India



About
an amateaur writer. Here to share my thoughts and feelings in form of words. more..