The Gardner

The Gardner

A Story by pslovepeyton


When we met and you squeezed my hand, it felt like you wanted to hold me as much as I needed to be held.

In all the little ways, you made the space safe. You gave me shelter.


I was not darkness, then, so much as lightless, and I wanted to stay in the warmth of your candle glow until my cellar became a greenhouse again. It already felt like my hand had roots that were sprouting deep into all that was good and sane, like the pale leaves on my soul were turning, hopeful, towards a new source of light.


I knew nothing about you. I knew only that I was falling for you, in a way that was very much against my rules. After months of masochistic sterility, tender shoots of lust and joy burst through soil I had surely poisoned. 


I came out of hibernation flashing your bruises like gold badges with my happiness a loaded gun. Anytime I opened my mouth, bullets written with your name flew out and I couldn’t stop the maelstrom. You had made me feel wildly alive, and I was addicted to the violence of it.


My bruises started to fade and I stayed up later so that I couldn’t watch them vanish. I indulged in the reckless joy of sunburns and strawberry stains, sharpening my tongue on summer lemons and my teeth on shaggy plum pits.

I bit into life, and for you I grew. I grew.

© 2017 pslovepeyton


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

99 Views
Added on February 24, 2017
Last Updated on February 24, 2017
Tags: Short story, love, romance, relationships, falling in love, gardening, flora

Author

pslovepeyton
pslovepeyton

About
Young bread baker with a wandering mind and hands that shape stories. Here to play with words. more..

Writing