[untitled]

[untitled]

A Poem by Patricia Thourne

you saw me …. touched me…...drew me out …….. made me love………spoke the words …..with songs of love …… vague promises of “something”…… a breath on the flame to keep it lit …… a hint of something more when you saw me stepping back ….. and you lied …… you befriended and bewildered me …… made me think ….made me wonder ….. made me cry out in passion and lose myself …… but it wasn’t you …….. you were never there …….. just a mask, a smokescreen, a façade …… and I drank you in, willingly….openly…..I gave ….. I wanted to give ……wanted to be “her” to you ……but instead I play the fool …… the joke, the statistic, the cliché ….and you, the Devil on the throne, lies dripping from your chin…... it’s to laugh, really  ……but you haven’t broken me ……..only made me see …….see the weakness that lives within ….. the need I always disdained and viewed as pathetic …even now, I laugh at myself as you must have done all along ..…so yes, I am pathetic …… weak and human ……though stronger, now, with a wall of steal around my deepest self ……it won’t be seen again ….. a haunted wasteland of frill and fantasy …… because of you I see things differently …….. I can’t go back, only move forward and wear stronger armour …..you are the lesson I had to learn …….. the reminder of the purpose for the sheild around my heart ………the symbol of why nothingness is better than feeling this pain ……..but don’t flatter yourself to think my heart is broken….it isn’t, not really …… just tucked away, where no one can touch ………. funny that it’s not the loss of love or the absence of your voice ……no….. it’s realizing I’m a fool ……that I can be lured and soothed into standing outside what I know to be right …… for a moment it was warm………blazing with lakes of fire and waves of heat carressing my flesh and soul …… taken in by your simple words and feigned affections …….was it really that easy? …….. how tragic that I could be fooled by such simple tactics …….. hilarious, really......what's more sad is that this won't change you .....this will do nothing to you ....perhaps only make you more careful....more cautious about where you play …....vile ......but pay no attention to the girl behind the veil of ribbons & lace …..she’s fading fast into the real world where lies and masks prevail ……. where you run free and laugh at the desolate wake in your path …….. be happy, my prince of nothing ….. you’ve helped me grow.

© 2008 Patricia Thourne


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Its chaotic, beautiful, intense, captivating even. I like how there is really no structure per say, but is easy to read. Excellent job.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Everyone goes through experiences like this. Whether in love, business or other relationships. It knocks the naivety out of ya and lets a more vigilant side in. The key is not to get bitter and cynical or deterred in your hope of finding someone genuine.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

"and you, the Devil on the throne,
lies dripping from your chin "

"but pay no attention to the girl behind the veil of ribbons & lace
she�s fading fast into the real world where lies and masks prevail "

This imagery is so great!!

The only thing I'd suggest is perhaps modifying the ending, because it's a bit abrupt. Maybe there's something left to say?


Posted 17 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

290 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 12, 2008
Last Updated on June 23, 2008

Author

Patricia Thourne
Patricia Thourne

Portland, OR



About
I really have no specific mode or formula I write in. I simply write what comes to me. I don't always pay much attention to punctuation either . I feel it and put it to ink. Simple as that. It's more .. more..

Writing