God Bless You 'Tommy'

God Bless You 'Tommy'

A Story by Pete

Image result for glowing horizon over water Image result for park bum on bench   
Yesterday was an unusually mild day by mid-November standards.  The sun was brilliant, more than removing the chill from the air.  Not wanting the glorious day to end, I decided to take a late walk in the park, down by an inlet of water, on the edge of the city.  As I walked, dusk was hastening in but the day defiantly refused to give up it's seat so that an autumnal night could be ushered in.  The horizon glowed brilliantly as it tried to hold onto the light, warmth and comfort of the day but the darkness was weighing heavily on it.  The struggle was so intense that it cast an orange-red glow onto the water below like blood spilled in a prize-fight.
In order to behold this magnificent spectacle, I stopped and sat on one of several benches, taking a ring-side seat, for free admission.  As I was sitting, I noticed a disheveled man on a nearby bench, not far from where I was seated.  I recognized him as having been living in the park all summer long and had heard people call him 'Tommy'.  He was mumbling to himself and drinking from a tall can of beer.  The name on the can was 'Naddy Daddy'.  How appropriate, I thought.  Here I was worshiping my father in nature and there he was worshiping his in a can.  Quite a stark contrast in spirituality.
I couldn't help feeling sorry for this man.  He was someone's son.  Maybe someone's husband or ex-husband and perhaps even a father.  He had a life and a story to tell but no one was there to read the book or watch the movie.  No one cared and even sadder, neither did he.  He seemed to be closing the book and ending the movie with each swig of beer that he took.  His life was held in the balance by the alcoholic contents of a can.  It gave the impression that when the can was empty, so was he.  When it was finished, so was he.  When it expired, so would he.  There would be nothing left in the can and nothing left in the book or movie of this man's life.  He seemed to be supplicating an end to his life with each gulp.  Mumbling was audible between sips but I couldn't make out what he was saying.
When he finished the can, he simply tossed it over his shoulder onto the ground behind him.  I guess despair, hopelessness, pain and misery trump environmentalism.  God bless you 'Tommy'.  I'm rooting for you.  May the good Lord watch and keep you.  I'll see you tomorrow.  We'll both start a new chapter in our respective books of life and a new scene in our movies.  Like that epic struggle between day and night that I beheld, we each must choose sides between light and darkness.  I hope that 'Tommy' can find his way into that magnanimous light and see and feel what I did that evening in the park; something he'll never get from a can ...

© 2017 Pete


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I've known a lot of Tommy's, even WAS a Tommy a long time ago. I love your sonder; to understand that this person has a life that no one knows about and most don't consider when they look at him. I know you have a good heart, Pete. It really shows in your writing. Good job

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

7 Years Ago

Thanks D. that means a lot coming from you. I used to be one of the one's who would just walk by a.. read more



Reviews

the haves and the have nots,and we have a lot of tommies in this world,and the people that can help wont,and the ones that will can`t , makes you wonder

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

7 Years Ago

excellent comment wordman. so true. thanks for the read. appreciated.
This is truly amazing work. I'm almost speechless in describing the ability to put together such an awestruck piece of art. I appreciate writing like this, great work.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

7 Years Ago

Thank you for appreciating it Jamieya. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
So many Tommy's around... their numbers seem to increase every year.... the way you expressed it, brought it to life, your thoughtfulness shines threw....as always :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

7 Years Ago

Thanks Hebe. Bless you too.
I've known a lot of Tommy's, even WAS a Tommy a long time ago. I love your sonder; to understand that this person has a life that no one knows about and most don't consider when they look at him. I know you have a good heart, Pete. It really shows in your writing. Good job

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

7 Years Ago

Thanks D. that means a lot coming from you. I used to be one of the one's who would just walk by a.. read more
Hi Pete... I live in Boston and know that park. I can envision the scene. Great imagery. Nice job :)


Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much. Regards.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

513 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 20, 2016
Last Updated on June 19, 2017

Author

Pete
Pete

Boston, MA



About
I love reading, writing, music, nature, God and feeling emotion, not necessarily in that order. To me, these things go hand in hand. My favorite writer is Henry David Thoreau. I think he was a geni.. more..

Writing
Snarly Snarly

A Poem by Pete