Mental Health Disorders

Mental Health Disorders

A Story by Publications By Carolyn
"

Millions of people around the world suffer from some form of "Mental Health Disorder".

"
Several years ago, I was diagnosed with "Generalized Anxiety Disorder". This was the first time I was ever diagnosed with any type of mental health disorder. Certain people could come around me and set off an anxiety attack. It was like having a bad vibe about the person, even if they weren’t talking to you. I would start crying and having bad attacks. Not wanting to be medicated for it, my doctor did so anyway.

Later on in life, tragic things would happen, causing me to feel like I was having a heart attack and even feel like I was dying. During this time, it had got so bad I had to start talking to a counselor. I was diagnosed with new mental health disorders (post-traumatic stress disorder, and severe depression disorder). Now I’m suffering from these new disorders plus the generalized anxiety disorder.

Having mental health disorders and trying to find new techniques daily to cope with what sets them off is a hard task. I started a book called "My Happy Book". In this book, I would put pictures of who made me happy and list names of the people and places that made me happy. Every time I get depressed, I look at this book and remind myself of what made me happy. I also hung pictures on a certain part of the wall in the room that I stayed in most often. Make a happy book, or a photo album, write down your thoughts in a book, and write how you are stronger and will overcome the obstacles that stand in your way. Months later, look at how far you have come and keep going.

It used to be when I would hear “Coping Skills”, I would get aggravated. I never wanted to focus on one thing to help my depression. As my mental health disorders worsened, I knew I had to eventually swallow my pride and help myself. I now have a psychiatrist and trustworthy friends and family whom I can depend on to talk to when I need help. Another way to occupy your mind is to find you a daily hobby. Write stories, work on puzzle books, and call up a friend.

Here are more ways you can use "Coping Skills" to help with your mental health disorder:
1. Read a book.
2. Talk to a trusted person.
3. If you are in a bad situation (abusive relationship, etc.) seek immediate help to get away from it.
4. Seek help from your local mental health organization.
5. Research "Mental Health" online.

Ways to help those with mental health disorders:
1. Offer a helping hand. Let that person know that you are there to listen, and not judge.
2. Get them immediate help if they are in a dangerous situation.
3. Help them find the right resources to the right pathway.
4. Research other ways to help them.

Advocate for mental health. Anyone can advocate for mental health to help raise and spread awareness. Offer your help, support, and an open ear. In most states, you do not need a degree to advocate. You can start a community support group. Many advocates start an online community group on social media platforms. Using some of these methods or some of your own can help someone in need.

© 2024 Publications By Carolyn


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

31 Views
Added on January 18, 2024
Last Updated on January 18, 2024
Tags: Health, Medical, Mental health

Author

Publications By Carolyn
Publications By Carolyn

Martinsville, VA



About
I have enjoyed writing all of my life. From writing books, to writing poems, I enjoy it. I enjoy writing for the big and small companies.​​I choose the ordinary beauty over the constructed.. more..