Eight Months Of A Young Girls Life

Eight Months Of A Young Girls Life

A Story by Kezia
"

Realistic Fiction story of a teenage girl who has to make a big decision in Eight months

"

Eight months of a young girl’s life

“Are you ready for this?” my best friend Jamie asks as I pace around the bathroom.

“Yeah” I said as I cupped my face in my sweaty hands.  I stopped pacing around and stood in front of the mirror next to her.  Then I looked at my reflection.  How?  I thought to myself.  What went wrong?  I took a glance over my shoulder and read Jamie’s expression.  She started shaking then tears swiftly dripped down her face.

      “No!” I said starting to cry.  Jamie looked at me and nodded her head yes.  I ran out of the bathroom and dropped myself on my bed.  I screamed my lungs out into the pillow and started to ball my eyes out.  Jamie came into the room and sat next to me. 

      “Why is this happening to me?” I asked here sniffling.  I turned my head away from the pillow and looked at her.

      “Everything happens for a reason.” She said with a sigh.  She handed me the stick and I stared at the two lines in disbelief. 

      “I can’t tell my parents.”  I said still staring at the lines.  Jamie wiped off her tears and looked at me.

      “You’re gonna have to.”  She said.  I stared deep into her eyes in shock that she even said that.  I shook my head slowly.

      “You want me to tell my parents their 15 year old daughter is pregnant?  Are you crazy?”  I asked her in a raised voice.  I got up and put the stick in the bathroom trash, wiped out my tears and went downstairs where I found my mom preparing lunch.  My heart started racing faster and faster.  I saw her lips move but couldn’t hear what she was saying for all I could here was my once upon a time faint heart beating at the speed of light.  I grabbed a yogurt and ran back upstairs.  My mom followed but I didn’t notice her. 

      “Is everything okay girls?”  She asked me and Jamie.  Jamie looked at her and nodded with a smile on her face.  The smile obviously noted a ‘no’ but mom didn’t notice.  She left and went back downstairs to the kitchen. 

Jamie left my house right before dinner time leaving me alone with my parents and thirteen year old sister who seemed to know everything about everything.  I barely touched the food in my plate the whole hour we had dinner.  My sister Dallas kept looking at me with worrisome eyes.  Before dessert, she excused us both from the table and brought me to her room. 

      “Spit it out” she said.  Dallas always knew when something was wrong and it wasn’t hard for her to tell when I was not telling the truth. 

      “What are you talking about?” I asked her in a stutter.

      “You know exactly what I am talking about. The whole day you’ve been acting all weird and the whole time at dinner, nothing went in your mouth and nothing came out.  What troubles you?”

I looked at her and smiled.  “Nothing,” I said “I guess one could say I am very tired.”  She took a long hard stare then finally nodded her head. 

      “You should get some sleep then.” She said leaving my room.  I got into my favorite sleeping gown and closed my eyes shut hoping for a better day tomorrow. 

      *Two days later.*

I ran out of bed and straight into the bathroom one second before my alarm clock rang. I stood in front of the toilet and threw up. 

      “Okay seriously what is wrong with you?” Dallas asked in an angered tone.  I had ran into the bathroom not knowing she was there brushing her teeth.

      “I’m fine.” I said as I walked over to the sink to wash my mouth.  Before I could open the faucet she grabbed my arm.

      “People who are quote fine do not eat everything they see in front of them and they don’t get fat within four weeks.  People who are fine most certainly do not throw up without showing any sign of sickness hours before.  That only happens to people who…,” her voice turned into a whisper “are pregnant.”  She let go of my hand and stared at me in shock.  This was one of the moments I had been dreading.  My eyes started filling up with tears.  Dallas hugged me tight, she too crying. 

      “Don’t go to school today.” She said as I picked out my clothes for the day.

      “And if mom asks why I’m staying home?”

      “Don’t worry about that.  Mom and dad left for France this morning.  They’ll be back in a week.  I’ll go make you some breakfast.” She started going down the hallway when I called her name.  She stopped and looked at me.  I mouthed the words thank you and she smiled and left.  When I was about to pour some coffee into a mug downstairs, Dallas stopped me and told me that I am not allowed to drink any coffee or any caffeinated drinks.  Again, I had forgotten that she knew everything about everything.  The two of us had the quietest breakfast we had had in a very long time.  This time, instead of me not eating, she was the one not eating. 

“How did this happen?” Dallas finally asked breaking the awkwardness of the silence.  I shrugged.  I honestly didn’t know how it happened.  Honest to god, I didn’t know anything.  “When are you going to tell mom and dad?”  I shrugged again.  I didn’t know when to tell them and I didn’t know if I wanted to tell them.  “Are you going to keep it?” Dallas asked again.  I dropped my fork and looked at her.

      “No.” I said in an alarmed manner.  If there was one thing that I DID know it was I was definitely not keeping this baby whatsoever.  The whole morning, Dallas asked me every questing the book which made me even more tense and scared.  Then she finally asked the biggest question of all.  The question which I had no answer to.

      “Who’s the dad?”

      “I don’t know Dallas.  I don’t know.”

She laughed.  “You don’t know? Goodness India how many guys have you slept with?"

      I looked at her in sadness.  “I don’t know Dal.  I don’t know anything. I can’t think, I can’t talk right, I keep losing my temper easily, I can’t stop getting fat!” I responded in aggravation. 

      “I’m sorry.  I didn’t mean to blow you off like that.  Since you’re not keeping it, adoption or abortion?”  Dallas asked.

      “abortion.” I told her. “The sooner I do it, the better.  That way mom and dad wont have to find out.”

Dallas choked on her food. “Are you that stupid?  Even if you get an abortion you simply cannot think that mom and dad aren’t going to find out are you?  Who’s going to pay?  Most certainly NOT you since you don’t even have a job.”

I knew she was right.  And I knew that I had no choice but to tell my parents sooner than later.  “I’m going to have to tell them.” I said.

      “Yes.  If I were you I’d do it now even.”

      “On their trip to Paris? No.” I responded back to her.

      “If you tell them it’s an emergency, they’ll have no choice but to come back home.”  Dallas said in a confusing tone.  The rest of the day, we sat in front of the TV watching the show ‘Baby’s First Day’ and waited patiently for the phone to ring.  The phone call from France came the next day when I was in the shower.

Mom: Hi India.

Dallas: Actually its Dallas.

Mom: oh. Hi Dally!  How are you guys doing?

Dallas: Not so good.

Mom: Why what’s wrong?  Did you run out of money already?

Dallas: No we still have plenty of money.  It’s an emergency that we can’t talk over the phone.  India and I need you and dad as soon as possible.

Mom: Okay honey I’ll leave first flight tomorrow?

Dallas: how about tonight?

Mom: okay. Whatever it is its better be worth it honey.

  Dallas came up the stairs to inform me about the news.  My mom came back at 10PM the day after the phone call.

      “Where’s dad?” I asked her as she came into the house alone.

      “He had to stay behind and do some work.  Now what is the emergency?”

      “I’m afraid I can’t tell you without Dad being here.” I told her.

She looked at me furious.  Before she could say anything Dallas gave her what I call the look of the tiger which tells everyone to take a deep breathe in before they do anything.  I don’t know why I call it ‘The look of the tiger’ though…

      “Alright then let’s go into my office and call him.” Mom said.  The three of us went upstairs and called my dad.

Dad: how are my girls?

Mom: still don’t know. They’d like to share the emergency news with you.

Dad: Alright then what’s going on?

My heart started to race and my throat started to tighten.  My vocal chords felt like they were being cut piece by piece.  Sweat started to drip down my face.  All of the sudden, I couldn’t talk.  I looked at Dallas and she nodded.

Dallas: Mom, Dad, you know how you always tell us that you will love me and India despite our biggest mistakes?

Mom and Dad: Yes?

Dallas: well this time we’re going to really need your love because…

I quickly cut her off and screamed the truth.  “I’M PREGNANT!”

Dad: Dallas?  You’re pregnant?

Me: No dad.  I am.  It’s India.

I started to cry.  I saw the disappointment in my mother’s eyes and could hear the sadness in my dad’s voice. I ran upstairs into my bedroom and shut the door.  My mom followed and left Dallas downstairs on the phone with my dad.

      “India?” my mom said knocking.

      “I’m sorry.  I’m really sorry mom.  I don’t know what happened or how it happened.” I said trying to reassure her.

She closed her eyes and took a deep breath in.

      “Please don’t be mad at me.” I begged.

She laughed under hear breath.  “I’m not mad.”

I looked at her trying to read her emotions.  She had no emotions or expression on her face at all.

      “You’re not?”

      “No.  I’m not thrilled nor upset. I’m just glad you told me soon enough.  I’m just confused about how all this happened.”

      “I am too.” I said in relief that she wasn’t pissed off.

      “You should sleep. Daddy’s coming home in the morning.  You’re going to need all the rest you can get for that.”

The next morning I got up an hour earlier than usual because I wanted to get super ready.  I was nervous about what my dad would say.  I took a shower and ate an extra-large breakfast. I sat down on the dining room table and waited for my parents to wake up.  My dad came downstairs shortly after.  He sat in the chair opposite me. 

      “Good morning Darling.” He said with a big smile on his face.

      “Good morning?” I said in confused.

      “So I heard about the new addition to the family.” He said with an even bigger smile.

      “Well you obviously did since I’m the one that shouted it out to the whole world.”  I responded.

      “So…?”

      “So what?”

      “Who’s the father?  Every baby has a birth father you know.” 

      “I am aware.  And I am not aware of who the father is.” 

      “How so?”

      “Because it was at the party I went to last month.”

      “You told me you didn’t do anything stupid at the party.”

      “I lied.”

      “And does your mother know the things you are telling me right now?”

      “No.”

      “Well then let me call her down here.” He said as he got up from his chair and went across the hall to his room.  He came back shortly with my mother.

      “India and I were just talking about how she lied to us when she said she didn’t do anything stupid at the party she went to last month.” My dad informed her.

      “Alright.  How did this happen India?  Tell me everything about that night.” Mom said as she sat on my dad’s lap.

 

“When Jamie and I got to the party, it was just a girls party.  There were no boys at all there.  There were some drinks and some snacks and music.  LOUD music.  I walked over to the table where the drinks were and I decided to have a shot of tequila.  And so I did.  Once I had my first drink, I had another drink and another until I totally blacked out.  When I finally came back to life, the party had completely changed.  There were boys there, lots of them.  This really cute senior came up to me with a drink and I drank it and we talked and talked.  Then we ended up kissing and then we went upstairs.  I grabbed on to his arm and we slowly walked between everyone.  When we got up there, we found one empty bedroom and we entered it.  He followed my lead and closed the door and locked it.  He brought more drinks up there and we drank even more.  Then we made love and then after that I blanked out completely.”  I explained to them.

“So he’s the father?” my dad asked.

I shook my head no. “He might be.”

      “Might be?!” My dad screamed.

I slowly tucked my head.  “I don’t think that was the only guy.  I’m more than certain there were more.”

He stared at me with a straight face.  My mother broke the silence.

      “You are keeping it right?” she asked.

      “No.  I’ve decided to get an abortion.” I answered her.  Dad froze.  He didn’t blink or make a single movement.  “Dad?  You alright?” I asked him.

      “His fine.  He’s just doesn’t like the idea of an abortion.” My mom said reassuring me.

      “And you have decided this without knowing who the father is and knowing what his opinion might be.”  He said breaking out of his freeze mode.

      “Yes.”

      “Princess I think it’s best if you found out who the father of this baby is before you even make such a choice.  GOD DAMN IT INDIA! Abortion? Why not adoption?” Dad yelled angrily as Dallas came down the stairs.

      “What’s going on here?” she asked.

      “Your sister doesn’t know who the father of her baby is and she has decided to get an abortion without even consulting anyone!” dad said again.

“I think its best if you knew who the father was first then abort it but otherwise…” Dallas said to me.

      “You do know that abortion isn’t just simply you getting some kind of medicine that will kill the baby right?  The baby will be cut and all this sad gooey things will happen to it.  Do you know how it looks?” My father argued with me again.

      “No I did not know that and I do not want to know how bad it looks.”  I argued back.  Dallas came out of my mom’s office with a picture.  She laid it in front of me and said

      “That is what you are planning on doing to an innocent fetus.” It was a picture of an unborn aborted child.  I turned the picture over and I went on the office computer to find the nearest local clinic.  I came out thirty minutes later and told my parents I had made an appointment at a clinic for an abortion. I went out and sat on the back porch.  My dad came behind me.

      “When I married your mom, I promised her that I’d make sure that you and Dallas would do the right things always. We made a list of all the wrongs you should do right.  This wasn’t one of them because we never expected that one of our girls would one day get pregnant at a young age and have such a tough decision to make.  India I know you are scared and you’ve got every right to be afraid.  It’s a baby and you love babies.  I remember the first time you held Dallas, that was the most amazing moment of your life.  You took such great care of her and you said that you’d protect her with your life.  You slept with a vinegar filled water gun by your bedside every night in case monsters came to snatch her away from us.  I don’t think this is what you really want India.  I know that deep down somewhere in your heart you want to keep this baby but you’re afraid.”

      “Dad no. Down in my heart, I don’t want this baby.  I do not want to go through child birth and all that stuff.”

      “Are you sure India?”

      “Yes dad I am sure.  I do not want this baby and that is settled.  Why are you so against abortion anyways?”

      “Because… because your mother almost had you aborted. But she didn’t because we thought about how great of a daughter you’d be and what we’d do with you.  We both started thinking about how we’d be taking you shopping and ballet and gymnastics and your first day of school and your graduation and your first date and wedding and your first child.  I just didn’t think first child would be this soon.”

      “Was adoption ever an option?” I desperately asked.

      “Never.  After abortion it was keep.  And none of us had a single doubt about it.  We had both realized that it was time for us to grow up and experience parenthood.”  He answered me in the sweetest tone ever.

      “That’s nice.  But I’ve made up my mind and I’m not changing it.”

      “Are you at least going to find out who the father is?” he asked with sincerity in his voice

      “What’s the point dad?  If the baby’s not going to live, why even bother finding out who the father is?”

      The day of the abortion came and Jamie came with me.

      “Are you sure you want to do this?” she asked me.

I nodded my head.  I went inside the clinic and she stayed outside.

When I checked in at the reception desk, I started pacing around the waiting room.  Then I bumped into someone.

      “India?” I recognized that voice.  But I couldn’t place it in my head.  I looked up at the person.

      “I’m sorry do I know you?” I asked.

      “It’s Arthur.  We hooked up at the party a while ago.  Never mind me what are you doing here?”

Suddenly, I started to remember everything about the party.  I remembered Arthur, and the senior guy Gus and the bad boy Mike. 

      “Hey you alright?” Arthur asked again.

      “Yeah.  I’m here to get an abortion.”

      “Whoa! Okay I did not see that coming.  It’s not mine is it?” He asked nervously.

      “No.  well I don’t think it is.” I said.

      “So what you basically mean is you don’t know who the father is.”

I looked at him scared. “Arthur I can’t do this.  Not if I don’t know who the father is.”

      “Relax.  I know where you can get a quick DNA test and result.”

      “You do?  Where I need to go there NOW!”

      “Take a breather kid.  I’ll bring you there.”

Arthur took me to a different part of the clinic where I got the DNA testing done.  When the nurse came out, Arthur and I both stood up synchronized.

      “Well?” I said.

“The father of the baby is Arthur Marrow.” The nurse said.  I slowly turned to my left and looked at him.  He did the same and looked at me.

      “Lucky I was here.  Or else you would’ve killed my child.”  He said. “So what now?”

      “I wish I knew Arthur.”  We looked at each other again and smiled.

      “We’re going to be parents.  Can you believe that?” he said.

I laughed under my breath.  He called his parents to tell them the news.  They were happy for us… well for him more.  I went home that day with him before my parents got back from work.  They both came home at the same time today surprisingly.  When they entered through the front door, they both smiled.

      “How are you feeling?” my mom asked.

      “Great.  I’m feeling REALLY good.” I told her.

      “Was it painful? I assume not cuz you’re in a happy mood.” My dad gestured.

I grinned.  “Mom, Dad, Dallas.  I want to tell you something.  I have decided to keep the baby and I know who the father is.”

My dad froze up again.  And so did my mom, and so did Dallas.  Arthur walked out of the kitchen.

      “Are they okay?” he asked.

      “Yeah.  They do that when they here unexpected news.

      “Oh my god!  Is this the baby daddy?” mom asked happily.

      “Yes he is.” I said.  She walked to him and slapped him across the face.  Dallas gasped and my dad laughed.  Arthur petted his cheek.

      “That was for getting my daughter pregnant.”  Then she kissed him on the cheek. “And that is for welcoming you to the family and for saying that I am sorry that I slapped you.  It will never happen again unless you piss me off.”

      “Thank you ma’am.  My name’s Arthur Marrow.”

      “Arthur Marrow eh? Tell me son.  How old are you?”  my dad said ‘examining’ him.

      “eighteen sir.” He responded. 

      “Do you hear that Tammy?  He calls me sir. I’m starting to like this boy.” My dad said to my mother.  “Welcome to the family son.”

      “Thank you.  Glad to be a part of it.”

Seven months later on July 12, Arthur and I welcomed a beautiful baby boy on earth named Austin Michael Marrow.

                                          The end  

© 2013 Kezia


Author's Note

Kezia
Don't mind the wording. please give me feedback on the story.
*story is a work of fiction*

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

103 Views
Added on July 15, 2013
Last Updated on July 15, 2013
Tags: teen, drama, motherhood, decisions

Author

Kezia
Kezia

Quincy, MA



About
I love to write. more..