Cold Morning

Cold Morning

A Poem by lightning-born

I woke up, 

To the sound of a dog barking.

My eyelids peeked open,

My pupils adjusted to the light through my window.


The sun shone so bright,

So I expected the warmth

To welcome me with a hug

When I stepped outside.


Things were hard. 

But at least 

The universe gave us the sun.


Instead a cold breeze chilled the skin of my face,

My hands, my legs.

It was as if the wind was trying to chase

The sky ahead.


I felt goosebumps rise slowly on my arms.

It was too late to go inside and change.


Another false hope, another trick of the light.

I get in my car, thinking;

At least the sun is bright.


Later in the afternoon, it rains.


Sometimes I wondered if God was real, and was making fun of me.

© 2022 lightning-born


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

speaking of real .. you are keeping it real with this poem says i! i read it out loud right off and it flowed easily as images and feelings went by .. i love this woman .. as she wakes and is hit by disappointments one and then another ... i think she is courageous as she drives on down the road to ... whatever business needs doing ... we question God's presence a lot .. in disappointment, suffering, feeling down without knowing why ... in the teachings of Jesus Christ i find my weaponry for such things ... simple Faith and real trusting ... a comfort tho things are swirling around us .. i use to read Ann Landers all the time when newspapers existed .. i was a bit of an oddity among the "guys" .. but something she said about when the "troubles" come upon us .. it is not true that we "can't stand it" .. we have "nothing left to give" .. we .. "can't take it" .. and Ann wrote her advice ... to remember in the past when things weren't as we thought they should be .. that we did "make it" .. we did "stand it" etc. .. and that if we think in this troubled moment .. that we should just wait three days ... three days only .. and we are sure to find that those "troubles" have diminished in size of effect or even disappeared ... i carried that with me to this day ... funny thing .. Beauregard the dog wakes me whining ... but once in a while he has the most mournful howling i ever heard .. i think he is dreaming .. it chills and startles me awake .. he doesn't get up or want outside or anything .. so i think he is dreaming .. anyway .. i felt that chill in the early morning sunshine ... more than once here in the Ozarks .. where the chill clings to time inappropriately in my opinion. ;) welcome back! thank you for the FR.
E.

Posted 2 Years Ago


It does seem this way. God is laughing at us. I liked the honest and strong thoughts in the poetry. Thank you for sharing the amazing poetry and your thoughts.
Coyote

Posted 2 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

53 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 17, 2022
Last Updated on March 17, 2022

Author

lightning-born
lightning-born

San Antonio, TX



About
hi, i'm quinn. i disappeared for awhile, but i'm back to share my writing again. 28, he/they. more..

Writing