The Moon

The Moon

A Story by Rachel Gallagher
"

My daughter, our good friend and me get together regularly and try to write. Occasionally one of us will pick a word and we all have to write on that subject. This is one of the stories I came up with

"

 

          ‘It’s a full moon tonight’, said Kayleigh.

         

‘Yes, we know’ said carol, ‘you’ve told everyone already’.

         

Kayleigh was crestfallen " she felt such a connection with the moon, especially when it was full, and she wanted everyone else to feel the same.

         

‘I used to be a werewolf, but I’m alright noooooooooooooow’, said Rob, howling with laughter.

         

‘Yeah, hilarious’, said Kayleigh, sarcastically.  Someone always had to make that joke, and it wasn’t even funny the first time she heard it.

         

‘Right, I’m off’, she said, putting on her coat.

         

‘Oh, you leaving already?’ said Carol, disappointed.

         

‘Yes, I want to look at the moon. The sky should be really clear tonight’.

         

‘OK, see you tomorrow.  Bye’.

         

Kayleigh left the pub, and walked towards her home.  It was just after 10.30 and the streets were fairly deserted.  She decided to take a detour through the park - the lack of street lights meant that she could see the sky more clearly.

         

She found a bench, sat down, and looked up.

         

‘Wow’, she said out loud.  The sky really did look beautiful, and the moon was so clear.

         

Just then she heard something rustling in the bushes nearby.  Probably a squirrel, she thought.  But, the rustling got louder and louder, and the bush started to shake quite violently.  Big squirrel, Kayleigh thought. Maybe it’s time I went home.

         

        Then, from the bush, she heard a howling.  It was quiet at first - barely discernible, in fact.  As it got louder she felt the hairs on the back of her nect start to rise.  She wanted to run, but she was frozen to the spot.

         

Suddenly, a figure leapt at her from the bush, and she swing at it with her bag as hard as she could.  The bag connected with its head and it fell to the ground with a thud.

         

The figure wasn’t moving, so Kayleigh bent down to examine it.  Even though she knew werewolves were fictional, she needed to check that it wasn’t one. 

         

‘Oh my god, Rob!’ Kayleigh gasped.  ‘ What were you doing in the bush?’

         

Rob had come to, and he sat up, holding his head.  ‘I’m sorry, I thought it would be funny’.

         

‘Bloody hell, you scared the crap out of me’.

         

‘I-I’m really sorry, I want you to like me, not think I’m an idiot’.

         

‘I do like you, but this isn’t the best way to make a good impression’.

         

Rob lay back down and groaned.  ‘ I think I need the kiss of life’ he said.

         

Kayleigh looked at him - she was quite confused.  Then Rob smiled at her in a way that made her stomach feel funny.

         

‘How romantic is this’, he said.  ‘The moon, and the stars.  A wounded man and an angry woman’.

         

Kayleigh considered for a moment.  ‘OK, the kiss of life it is then’, she said, leaning forward.

 

           

© 2013 Rachel Gallagher


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Aww, the ending made me smile. There were some grammatical errors with the dialogue but overall it read nicely. Slightly not sure what Carol's purpose was, but the other two characters seemed fleshed out for this short piece. I do like writing from words too, and it's awesome to see you have a group who you can write with. Hope things are well, and thanks for reading my story.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Aww, the ending made me smile. There were some grammatical errors with the dialogue but overall it read nicely. Slightly not sure what Carol's purpose was, but the other two characters seemed fleshed out for this short piece. I do like writing from words too, and it's awesome to see you have a group who you can write with. Hope things are well, and thanks for reading my story.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I liked this story very much and want to read more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted 10 Years Ago


It's a good start. I really want to read moreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

168 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 2, 2013
Last Updated on July 4, 2013
Tags: Romance, Full moon, Humour

Author

Rachel Gallagher
Rachel Gallagher

United Kingdom