Siya's next best choice

Siya's next best choice

A Story by rajendra
"

Mr. das babu, a typicall middle class indian desperately aspire for his daughter to be a Govt. officer, but the daughter has another dream. would she be able to convince him for what she opted for.

"

It was the winter evening of january the cold wave shadowed the sun the whole day, Mr. Das babu boarded the train and found his berth amidst noisy and annoying crowd of daily passengers. It was a bit different day from those when he used to travel frequently by this train during previous two years. As a long span of time passed, when he last visited his home, it appeared to him as if it were a first time, he set to go the place about which he was deeply concerned during those days of hectic work schedule and endless reports of the office. Soon the train moved in its full swing and the cold wave of chilled winter was making way through the hinges of windows. He tried a lot to get slept, but it was far away from him. A number of thought, some good and some bad were flooded in his mind. A slight thought of siya made him somewhat discomfit. He remembered; it was summer of july when he last saw siya. Though she was in her teen age, yet she displayed a lot of profoundness. This is why, Mr.Das babu encountered innocence question at several occasions that she used to ask very often to leave him puzzled.


“What you think for your career you should opt for’’ was a straightforward question which she seldom replied what he wanted to hear. Mr.Das babu was very fond of his angel daughter siya and unlike the normal perception towards girl, he aspired to bring up her to the open sky of world where she would have all the liberty and opportunity that a son might enjoy, thereby dismissing the gender discrimination at his end. Siya, while she was in her academic pursuit attained the marriageable age, that was the real concern for Das babu as he was approaching to the age of retirement from his active service. He believed that leading a married life for a girl, if the life partner is of not orthodox mindset, would not pose obstacle in the way of carreer for an ambitious girl. He was strongly inclined towards govt.job for her only daughter as his being charmed with dignified with affluent life of his boss in his Depatt, although he was aware of what the younger generation of todays have in mind to pursue for their career is totally unpredictable.


Mr. Shubhkaran Das, A supervisor in revenue department had sharp distaste to indulge in useless official gossip rather he preferred to spend his leisure time with his family consisting laxmi his wife, a very gentle and pious lady with high morale and a pretty looking daughter Siya in a sub-urban area of Ranchi. She was very good at study, that instilled hope into Das babu that what he could not achieved in life, her daughter would do. Sometimes he dreamt her as a senior officer in Govt. depatt enjoying respect and power as his boss does. Siya was studying in a prestigious college of Ranchi, where she used to go daily by her scooty. When she would start her scooty for college, laxmi would always remain at the door watching her go anxiously and almost wait the whole day waiting her to return given the ambience of town sometimes becoming very turbulent. However, her only console was that her father was always available to look after her for any unforeseen contingencies that might arise She knew that she always draw her strength from her husband.


The train was still running fast crossing through many small halts which sometimes throws simmering lights passing the window in the deep dark compartments. He noticed all the co-passengers were fast asleep. From window, he watched outside and a feeling of familiarity with all the passing stations, bulidings, streets, roads, began to arise.


He remembered the dooms day when while deeply absorbed in the files to prepare very urgent report, the attendant came and handed over to him a letter. Going through the content, he felt his heart was coming out. He was transferred to a place in Jamshedpur which was beyond the back for him. The first thing, he thought to go to his boss mittal sahib and to pray for stayal as he knew that mittal sahib was very sympathetic to him and very often appreciates his dedication and loyalty for his duty, but what he said gazing him deep was very difficult for him to decipher. His reply was quite diplomatic, something between yes or no. In fact a perfect blend of yes and no. Soon he was relieved and ordered to join his new place of posting.  


While packing his stuff, files, letters, cloths to catch evening train, a number of question kept him haunting. Laxmi and siya would remain in this home alone only to look after each other. She would work hard to take higher secondary exam this year. Laxmi would prepare breakfast for her and shall wait at the door watching her go with some sort of apprehension. She would pass the whole day almost waiting for her to return. I shall not be available for any contingencies. They would have to learn to live by themselves………….etc.


“ what did mittal sahib say to you. Didn’t you tell your circumstances” inquired siya with her eyes wet. “ Nothing any sort” he tried to avoid question but she seemed to be insistent to explore further. “ why the hell this transfer in the sort of job you do, taking place each year, what is the reason behind it” she proceeded. “ to ensure that employees are not settled longer at one station to prevent them from any potential misuse of post and office they held”. He replied almost to justify his own suffering. “ despite having clean track record” she continued. He was now stumbling in replying. He knew the answer was not easy one. Only he could utter was that it was the rule.  “ Do you not think that some rule in this way compel one to overlook their other responsibilities” . “Look, a public servant is always sub-servient to his boss, he has always to obey order irrespective of what other responsibilities they are envisaged to”


He replied to wind up the ongoing argument almost annoyingly though he was aware that her questions helds some merits for which he had no appropriate answer to content her.


            At dawn, Das babu got up from his berth to have a walk in the compartment. He peeped through the window. The train was halted at a station for almost half an hour. Many of co-passengers were awaken and were engaged in talking. He inquired about the station and realized that there would hardly be half an hour in reaching his destination. He suddenly started feeling some excitement. He knew that siya has completed her study and attempting to secure the job that he wished. He had always been guiding her whenever he found time to talk her on telephone. He was almost convinced that she would one day shine as Senior Govt. officer what he cherished for her for long.


            Das babu reached his home around 8 o’cloack. This was the shivering morning of winter. The sun was still hidden behind the dense fog. On reaching home he first wanted to see her daughter, but he was taken aback to know by laxmi that she was out and shall return the next day. To his annoyance, he knew that siya never tried to secure a job what he dreamt for her all these years. Laxmi elaborated, that in the college she together with all her friends joined a Mumbai based NGO which is engaged in fighting for justice for deprived classes and provides yeoman service to the disaster hit areas across the country. They work day and night for it and perform extensive travel to serve their target group. Now she is actively contemplating to establish its branch here and pursue her social service campaign extensively in the tribal areas of this region. Mr. Das babu felt that his dream is thrashed. Being out from home for two years would cost him in such a way, he didn’t anticipated.


            The next day siya returned from her trip. She became enthralled looking her dad after a long gap.  Das babu felt overhelmed with the sight of  his angel looking very cheerful. She took him to her study room to show a number of trophies, letters of appreciation, she secured for her outstanding work in different arena of social sector. While looking all these, he spoke “ You know, what I wished you to be” . “ yes dad” she replied hesistantly. “ then, why you abandoned that”. “Because, I want to be my own boss, what I chose is my next best choice” She concluded.


            As usual, she didn’t replied the simple and straightforward question of Mr. Das babu to his satisfaction yet another occassion but this time he felt that what she spoke made some sense, actually profound sense, reckoning his own pitiable condition.

 

           

           

 

 

 

© 2018 rajendra


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Aside from some small grammar issues, this was an enjoyable read!

masonry near me
Good job!

Posted 2 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
¿
Totally a new generation work!!
The desire siya nurtures and her answers without any hesitation but filled with respect is the correct attitude to put in.....
It was my polite read😊 Thanks for sharing!

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

rajendra

5 Years Ago

Thank for your comment
¿

5 Years Ago

Wc😊.......!!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

190 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 21, 2018
Last Updated on June 20, 2018
Tags: father and daughter, middle class family, new generation dream, career

Author