Angel

Angel

A Story by River
"

From the perspective of Marlo, one of my many characters. Inspired by the song 'Angel' by Theory of a Deadman.

"
I had a dream about you, brother. And I wish I could just forget it, because it woke me up early when not even the birds were singing. I wish I could forget it, because it made me see deep into your soul where I felt I had no right looking. And, I wish I could forget it, because it's left me in tears all morning.
I'm crying now, and you're asking me what's wrong. Hell, you're begging me to just open my mouth and say something, but all that I can show you is my mute sadness. I won't tell you anything. Maybe because I don't want that image of you to leave my head. I'm afraid that if I speak to you, then everything I saw while I was sleeping will dissipate and leave me in the dark. I don't want it to fade away. I need to keep it alive. If I only knew how.
I want to tell you about it, brother, but I still can't speak. I wish I could, because you were so happy. You were so free. Unconcerned with the fate of the world, because you were the world.
You were my world.
I was playing my guitar for you, sitting by the side of a pond that seemed to have no bottom, just an endless pool of crystal blue water as clear as glass. That's how it began. And as I gazed into that wondrous thing, I started to sing. I sang a song that I don't even remember the lyrics to, but I do remember that it made me cry. I cried because you weren't there to hear it.
You were dancing, dressed in a cloak of gold as the sun set behind you, your face and chest painted with blood as red as the sky that offered you its life. A crown, a great headdress of orange and yellow feathers, rested above your brow as you ran among the tall, soft grass, splashed with pink light from the dying of the sun. And as that great orb finally said goodbye to you, and all was covered in darkness, I stopped singing. And you stopped listening. You had never started listening in the first place. You were miles away, and you were smiling.
I'm still crying. Not because the dream made me sad, but instead, because it was so beautiful.
And you're still asking me if I'm okay, your thumbs wiping away the tears whose cause you wish you knew. But it's okay that you don't know. It's okay if you never find out about that dream, because you will always be dancing in the sunset. You will always be the free spirit that I saw last night. You will always be more than what you think you are. And, I haven't been able to put my finger on what it is… Until now.
Your eyes widen as I finally open my mouth, as blue as that pool in my dream. They threaten tears, and in my mind, I'm telling you that it's okay. But out of my mind, for that's what I am, I say to you,
"I'm in love with an angel."






© 2016 River


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

88 Views
Added on June 22, 2016
Last Updated on June 22, 2016
Tags: original characters, fiction, oc, demon

Author