A Song

A Song

A Story by bittersweetrazorkisses

"And that last song was dedicated to Eric, from your sweetie. Happy 2nd monthsary to you, guys! I'm down to my last hour; can you believe it? Keep the love coming, I'll be back after a few reminders."

 

Sophie turned her mic off and yawned. She was alone in her booth, and with an hour to go before midnight, she was barely awake. Her body was still adjusting to the 9-12 slot given to her by the station manager. It was the big hit she had been waiting for, and she's very thankful and proud that she earned this prime slot, but it was also tough on her. She had to wake up at early hours for her morning show, plus she had this. Field researcher by day, radio DJ at night - that was her life for the past 4 years.

 

She stood up and walked around the booth, slapping her face lightly to wake herself up. It's just another hour, she told herself. She checked the time - 5 minutes 'til airtime. She still could make coffee.

 

She left the booth and went to the pantry, where a cup of coffee was already sitting on the tiled counter. She raised her eyebrow at it, then looked around. There were only three people left in the station - Jimmy, the guard; Jun, the janitor; and herself. She thought of Jimmy, who was probably snoozing down on the first floor. He couldn't possibly go four floors up to the pantry just to get coffee and then forget about it. She then thought of Jun, who was as old as the station building, and probably was her suspect. She picked up the mug  and was startled to see the note under it, neatly taped on the counter.

 

"This isn't Jun's. It's yours."

 

There was a heart and a smile at the bottom of the note. Her eyebrow went up again. Who could possibly-

 

"Alec? Alec, are you here?"

 

No one answered. She went out of the pantry and into the corridor. "Alexander Cruz, you better show yourself, you little prick," she called out. Still, there was no answer. "Well, that's odd," she said aloud.

 

"Ma'am, sino po kausap nyo?"

 

Sophie cursed aloud and spilled coffee on her hand. She muttered a series of curses as she ran inside the pantry; the coffee was really hot. A head peeked into the pantry doorway, looking confused. Jun looked at Sophie's hand, then to her face.

 

"Ma'am, ayos lang po ba kayo?"

 

"Mang Jun naman eh," Sophie smiled at the old janitor. "Ginulat nyo naman po kasi ako."

 

The old man scratched his head and smiled. "Pasensya naman po, Mam. Kasi po narinig ko kayo. Akala ko po may kausap kayo."

 

Sophie shook her head. "Wala po, Mang Jun. Si Alec po ba, nakita nyo?"

 

"Ay Mam kaninang hapon lang po. Umalis din po siya agad. Tayo lang po talaga nandito sa istasyon. Kaya nga po ako nagtaka kung sino kausap nyo."

 

"Ahh.. Sige po, salamat po," Sophie replied, turning to the sink again to run her hand over the water. Jun took this as a sign of dismissal, and gave her a small salute. But, just before he left the pantry, he glanced at the coffee mug. "Masarap po ba yung kape, Mam?" Utterly confused, Sophie turned back to him. "Hindi ko pa po natitikman, eh. Bakit po?"

 

"Wala, Mam. Sige po." And he left her alone in the pantry, more confused and a little creeped out. She glanced at her watch and cursed again. She was already 10 minutes out. She ran to the booth to sign on.

 

"Good evening everybody. This is still Nightingale for Heart Songs. It's a chilly Tuesday night and I've got plenty of requests here that would surely spark the love."

 

A blinking red light stole her attention away from the computer monitor. She had a caller. She smiled. Probably it's her Falcon.

 

A couple of months ago, she had this mystery caller who fancied calling himself Falcon, and he would always request songs for her. He never said anything, but the songs he asked for were always her favorites. It's been two months already, but this Falcon had never revealed his identity. He did seem to know a lot about her, which led her to believe that he was actually someone she knew already, but didn't have the guts to actually talk to her in person or court her. Still, hearing his voice on the phone made her smile. His voice was deep but cheerful, like he was always happy.

 

Sometimes, she would strike a conversation with him on air and off air, but he always refused to talk to her for more than a minute. He would give petty excuses, like he's sleepy already, or he had to go to the bathroom, or that he needs to go somewhere. Who needed to be somewhere at half past eleven in the evening? But anyway, she somehow felt disappointed sometimes. She wanted to know more about this Falcon guy, but he seems close and distant at the same time. It bothered her, and  yet her curiosity for him increased day by day. She wanted to see this guy - this guy who never failed to make her smile for the past months - but it seemed he had no intention of showing up, or even knowing her better.

 

"And it seems we have a caller on the line. Hello, good evening."

 

"Good evening, Nightingale." Sophie smiled. It was him.

 

"Hi, Falcon. What song is it, tonight?"

 

"Do you have Whistle to the Choir by The Fratellis?"

 

She smiled again - it was one of her all-time favorites. "Of course I do. It's one of my favorites. And to whom do you dedicate this song?"

 

"It's for my girlfriend."

 

Her smile faded. Girlfriend? Great. Just great. Another one of them jerks, she thought. "Oh... So what's this lucky girl's name?" She tried to sound cheerful, but her voice still sounded sulky.

 

"Sophie."

 

Wow, she thought. We even have the same name. "Great," she said, with a little sarcasm that she didn't intend to come out. "Sophie, girlfriend of Falcon, here's The Fratellis with Whistle to the Choir." She was going to cut off the call when he spoke again. "Wait, don't play it."

 

Sophie's annoyance was blatant in her tone. "Then why request for a song if you don't want it played?"

 

The other line fell silent, which made her feel guilty. "I'm sorry, Falcon. I'm a little tired tonight. Do you want to change the song?"

 

"No," he said. "I didn't want you to play it, because I'll play it myself."

 

"What do you mean-"

 

Words failed her as the booth across hers suddenly was filled with light. Inside was a man with a guitar, smiling at her with his perfect smile. His eyes were looking straight at hers; eyes that she saw everyday at work, but never gave them a second look. They were actually pretty eyes.

 

It was Alec.

 

Well it's a big, big city and it's always the same

Can never be too pretty tell me your name

Is it out of line if I were simply bold to say "Would you be mine"?

 

Her mind wasn't processing anything she was saw. Alec, her co-worker for four years at the TV station, then at the radio station. Alec, her friend since college. Alec, her drinking buddy, her personal pillow, her confidante. Alec, the silent guy who never failed to make her laugh with his corny jokes and pick up lines. Alec, who congratulated her for getting her prime slot, but scolded her every night for coming home late. Alexander. Her Alec.

 

So if you're lonely why'd you say you're not lonely?

Oh you silly girl, I know I hurt it so

It's just like you to come and go

You know me no you don't even know me

You're so sweet to try, oh my, you caught my eye,

A girl like you's just irresistible

 

She didn't think he would ever do anything like this. He was the silent type - the classic torpe. He would never make a move that requires a public audience, or something as huge as singing in front of the girl he liked. She knew he could sing, but he never sang in front of her. She never knew why, but she didn't mind it. She always thought it was just Alec being Alec.

 

The mere fact that he was singing to her right now, in the other booth, his amazing voice being heard by hundreds of people who are tuned in to her program, his eyes fixed on her, is surreal.

 

So if you're crazy, I don't care, you amaze me

 

At this line, Sophie started to cry. She had always been eccentric, and no one could ever put up with her, or understand her, like Alec did. He wouldn't match her craziness; he would just laugh at her, and she'd join in. He was always there to defend her, to laugh at her, to joke with her, to protect her. He was always there.

 

And only, a girl like you could be lonely

And it's a crying shame, if you would think the same

A boy like me's just irresistible

 

She looked at him right now, all dressed up, singing his heart out to her - to her! - and she couldn't help but feel proud of him. She knew Alec was good-looking, but he had never been more handsome than tonight. He had that boyish grin on his face that made him look like a regular playboy, but in reality he couldn't even talk to any of the girls he liked back in college. Or was it that he never mentioned any girl he liked? Come to think of it, she couldn't remember any story he said that involved a girl. But she just assumed that he was just like that - shy and silent and strange.

 

She just realized, right at this moment, that he was perfect.

 

The song ended, and his eyes were still staring at hers. "So, how do you like the song, Sophie?"

 

"It's perfect," she said, smiling as she was drying her eyes. "Parang ikaw."

© 2013 bittersweetrazorkisses


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

218 Views
Added on July 13, 2013
Last Updated on July 13, 2013
Tags: love, song, random, sweet, fiction, love story

Author

bittersweetrazorkisses
bittersweetrazorkisses

Quezon City, NCR, Philippines



About
Beware of what lies beneath. I am a writer trapped in a Math teacher's body. I'm in love with love. I'm the weirdest girl you'll ever meet. more..

Writing