Sydney

Sydney

A Story by Sadie Y
"

A short short story submitted for NPR Three Minute Fiction. Writing prompt was provided as the required first sentence of the story.

"

She closed the book, placed it on the table, and finally, decided to walk through the door.  As she entered her daughter’s room, she noted with newfound clarity, the lack of femininity. Michelle’s friends complained of the seductive vampires and muscle-bound superheroes on display in their daughters’ rooms. Michelle had always been proud of Syd for avoiding materialistic attitudes. Her interests tended toward rescuing animals, championing environmental causes, even berating the family for buying wrapping paper at Christmas. Syd had always been an old soul, gentle and mature for her age.

 

Michelle looked back over the last year and wondered how she had missed the signs. A star student until junior year, when her grades tanked and her mood darkened, Syd had avoided her friends and refused to tell Michelle anything. Michelle’s impending divorce from Syd’s father, soon to be followed by his marriage to a pregnant girlfriend, provided such an obvious explanation that no one questioned Michelle’s plan to put Syd in counseling and hope for the best.

 

Syd did seem more stable and happy, but still withdrawn, her old confidence missing. When she told her mother that she’d found a great book for her to read, Michelle agreed reluctantly, hoping it wouldn’t be another clichéd vampire romance. A week later, when Syd pestered her to finish it, Michelle felt a twinge in her gut. She stayed up late that night, reading the young adult novel, packed with the usual angst and drama, but with a key difference �" the female protagonist had fallen in love with a girl in her school.

 

On the last page, in Syd’s careful block writing, was a note. “Mom, this book is about me.”

 

Michelle had come home early to wait for her, reading and re-reading that last page, before finally deciding to wait in Syd’s room. When she heard Syd in the hall, she took a deep breath and called for her.

 

Syd stepped into the room, casually leaning against the doorframe, her jaw set tight, her dark, wavy hair framing her face.

 

“So? Like the book?”, her tone trying for defiant but landing somewhere between tremulous and resentful.

 

As soon as Michelle began her speech, she knew it was no use. She managed only a choked, “Sweetie, I �" ”

 

Syd rolled her eyes, looked away and snapped, “Oh, great. Here we go. All weepy because you won’t see your little girl in a wedding dress someday?”

 

With that, Michelle found her voice.

 

“Absolutely NOT. I only care that you were going through this and I had NO IDEA.”, her voice cracking as angry tears flowed.

 

Syd held her ground, tears in her own eyes. “Oh, right. You’re not a LITTLE disappointed?”

 

Now it was Michelle’s turn to roll her eyes.

 

“Here’s the dirty little secret. ALL parents are disappointed in their kids. Know why? Because we start with ridiculous expectations. We all want you to someday cure cancer or solve world hunger.  Hell, I at least hoped you would go to med school like I did. Now I just want you to be healthy and happy. As far as who you love? Just find someone who respects you. Someone you can count on.”

 

They looked at each other, thinking of Syd’s father.

 

Syd wiped her face and said, “Yeah, that med school thing is SO not happening, Mom, but I definitely make Grandma’s cinnamon rolls way better than you do.”

 

Michelle laughed and hugged her tight.

 

“You might be right about that.”

 

And I have my girl back, she thought. Why would I care about anything else?

© 2012 Sadie Y


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I usually don't read stories, lack of time and patience I guess, but this pulled me in. You know, that is the biggest fear I have about my children, that no matter what they are going through they would shut me out and miss the chance to love them in all their ups, downs and major decisions. No mater what those are. Good story, thank you.

Posted 11 Years Ago


loved the fact that things worked out and the connection was amazing...some parents dont agree to stuff like that but im glad you character did...great job:-):-).

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

77 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 17, 2012
Last Updated on August 17, 2012
Tags: short short, fiction, lgbt

Author

Sadie Y
Sadie Y

FL



About
Just another writer with a midlife crisis.... more..