Quiet Dragon

Quiet Dragon

A Poem by rmarrwrites
"

"A quiet dragon sleeps by my side..."

"

A quiet dragon sleeps by my side

I lack its eyes, its speech, its hide

Why, dear dragon, do you reside

Solely in shadow beneath my stride?


Did you forget your old hanfu

As you left home to start anew?

Or maybe you wait as I accrue

Some hidden, unbeknownst value?


Will you ever come out to play

At calmer time, on sunny day?

Or will you simply waste away

In white man’s sterile museum display?

© 2022 rmarrwrites


Author's Note

rmarrwrites
Note: Hanfu is is the traditional styles of clothing worn by the Han Chinese.
Looking for any feedback. I'd like to improve this if possible.

This is my first time writing a poem outside of a school assignment, so I'm not that confident the meaning comes across. Could you please comment what you think the meaning of this poem is if you are able to?

Image source: https://unsplash.com/photos/Fnx-3LmyuxU

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I think you did a great job. It’s a bit scary to be new to the Cafe. But we welcome all writers especially new ones. I like the rhyme; I think the dragon is just a shadow of your moods, an imaginative notion, and a good one too. Thanks for sharing and welcome!
Best, Betty

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

rmarrwrites

2 Years Ago

Thank you for welcoming me! It's about cultural identity, but it's also about my moods as well, conc.. read more



Reviews

The dragon is an imaginary friend. Perhaps, you saw it in a museum or some display but now it has come to live in your subconscious as a friend waiting to manifest itself as a desirable quality you may wish for yourself, such as playfulness.
Your poem lends itself to great analysis and is very well imagined and written. I loved it.

Posted 1 Year Ago


I think you did a great job. It’s a bit scary to be new to the Cafe. But we welcome all writers especially new ones. I like the rhyme; I think the dragon is just a shadow of your moods, an imaginative notion, and a good one too. Thanks for sharing and welcome!
Best, Betty

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

rmarrwrites

2 Years Ago

Thank you for welcoming me! It's about cultural identity, but it's also about my moods as well, conc.. read more
Really enjoyed your poem..
Flowed quite well and appears to be great just the way it is.
I too had never shown anything I ever wrote (and I have been writing and saving my words for many any years) until I decided recently to put my poems on Writers Cafe.
Thank you for sharing your poem , which I completely understood..
Lisa

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

rmarrwrites

2 Years Ago

Thank you, glad you liked it!
Lisasview

2 Years Ago

You are most welcome.,
Lisa
Hey hey! Not only is the meaning of this poem clear, but the way you have written it provides a smooth and natural rhythm that, in my opinion, makes the audience comprehend it better. This is key when it comes to writing because if your text is choppy and hard to read, most will struggle over it and leave it stranded (no pressure lol). You did a great job and I can't wait to see what comes next!!

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

rmarrwrites

2 Years Ago

Thanks! I'm relieved it flows well, I'd hate for people to lose interest in the middle of a short th.. read more
Hi there, I actually think this poem is very clear in the meaning. I did have to google Hanfu but then read your note so thank you for that! To me I read it as a cultural identity that follows you around everywhere but has gotten a little lost or whitewashed, maybe a longing for that identity to come back. I actually think this poem is beautifully done and I really enjoyed reading it. I look forward to reading more of your work. The first stanza is so wonderful I love it so much. I thought about leaving out the word 'sterile' in the last line but then changed my mind when I read it that way. I really wouldn't change anything its really well done as is. Thanks for sharing!
-Bee

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

rmarrwrites

2 Years Ago

Wow, thank you! That means a lot coming from someone who writes so carefully. Glad I got the meaning.. read more
Bee Oxford

2 Years Ago

Ohhh wow this is so powerful yes thank you for clarifying that for me, I think it’s clear and sort.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

153 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 27, 2022
Last Updated on February 28, 2022
Tags: Poetry, Sad, Poem

Author

rmarrwrites
rmarrwrites

British Columbia, Canada



About
Canadian. She/her Feel free to send me a reading request if you want me to look over something. I can't promise I always will if I get busy, but I'll do my best. more..

Writing
Stasis Stasis

A Poem by rmarrwrites