Dinner for One

Dinner for One

A Story by RC

Pile of clothes, everywhere, searching for the perfect dress for the perfect night. Red? Purple? Blue? Yellow? No. After minutes of deciding, I settle for a cute black dress. Then, top it off with sparkling jewels and a little handbag. After, I start applying my make-up. Then, my hair. Should I curl it? Straighten it? Or maybe some waves? Waves! I make my way to the other side of my room and got my stilletos.

Gazing through my mirror, I can say that I look beautiful! Peter would not be able to look at anyone or anything else but me. I am confident that this evening is going to be the best evening I will ever have. I am so excited because, because... Peter's going to propose! Yes, propose!

Peter and I have been together for 5 years now. There were fights that almost ended our relationship, but because of our never-ending love for each other, we were able to fix them. And, the day has finally arrived, the day our lives are going to change, the day when we are going to bring our relationship to a whole new, higher level, the day when he is going to ask me to marry him.

He had been showing signs! He would always be late in our meetings, so I assumed maybe, he was preparing for this night. One time, when we were at a jewelry store, he asked me what ring is the prettiest there. These signs lead to this very night.

Driving my way to the restaurant feels like the longest drive. Certain scenarios are playing in my head. He would be waiting there on my table with a bouquet of flowers, he would come up to me and lead me to my seat, and being the gentleman that he is, he would move my chair and assist me. He would treat me like a princess, we would eat the food that he specially ordered for this night, we'd listen to the violin that's playing for us. Suddenly, he would stand, get a small box in his pocket and kneel, then he would say, 

"Sel, you are the most beautiful thing that ever happened to me. In the span of our relationship, you've always been there and have made me the happiest man. I want to be with you, not only on some days, but every day. When I wake up, the first thing that I would want to see is your face. When I arrive home tired because of work, I want you to approach me and bring out the life in me, again. I want to raise beautiful children with you, and play with our grandchildren, soon. I want to grow old with you. And, I want us to have our own forever. After this, no more 'I gotta go home', because we are each other's home? Selena Brooks, will you mar---"

Ouch! That foolish cat! Ohmy, I think I just broke a nail. I continue my way to my destination and finally, I am here! La Douce-Amère Resto, where Peter and I had our first date, where he asked me to be his girlfriend, and where he would ask me to marry him! I step out of my car, and go my way to the restaurant. I'm inside and am looking for Peter, but he isn't here. 

"Table with Peter Anderson?" I asked a steward. He turns to look at his list.

"I'm sorry, Ms, but no Peter Anderson has reserved here," he said. "How about I lead you to a table for two, Ms?"

I nod at him and make our way to the table. Nervousness has been flooding through my veins. No calls, no texts. Maybe this is a part of his surprise? 10 minutes have passed and no sign of Peter yet. What is taking him so long? And that's when I saw him. But the odd thing is he's not wearing anything formal, just a white shirt, leather jacket and pants. He is searching through the room until he sees me. He sits down and is looking at me with what I think is a sad face.

"Peter! What took you so long?" I asked.

"I'm sorry. I was caught up with traffic and my phone died." Peter answered.

" Alright. I thought you made reservations here already. Anyway, how about we order something?"

Okay. I am not expecting this. He should have been early. He should have had a bouquet of flowers for me. But none. Nothing.

"Sel, I need to tell you something." He said, ignoring my question.

"Let's eat first, Pete. I'm starving."

"But this can't wait."

"Okay, tell me." I demanded, completely frustrated.

He suddenly tenses up. "Sel, I'm breaking up with you."

Hearing those words, I couldn't move. That was unexpected. "Oh, okay."

"Okay? Aren't you going to say something?" He asked.

"Okay." I blurted out without thinking.

"I'm so sorry, Sel. I have to go." He said.

He goes out of the restaurant leaving me in shock. I couldn't move still, until the waiter calls for my attention asking for my order.

"Dinner for two, ms?" The waiter asked.

How could he go directly? I wasn't ready. Didn't he see I was shocked? He could have waited for my response, but he didn't. I haven't even asked why. Did I do something wrong? Don't I look pretty today? Is it the color of my dress? I knew I should've worn red. Or is it my hair? But he likes my hair wavy, right? What is wrong with me that made him break up with me? How could he waste 5 long years? We were almost there. But, he'd always be late for our meetings, and what was the question about the ring for?! So much for the expectations and so much for the signs. Those were just lies, complete lies! 

"Ms?" Asked the waiter, again, breaking me away from my thoughts.

"Oh, I'm sorry, what?" I asked.

"Dinner for two?" He asked, again.

I hate Peter. He broke my heart. He gave me false hopes of having my own happy ever after.

"Oh, no," I laughed. "Dinner for one only." I added.

This is the worst evening ever. 

© 2018 RC


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

36 Views
Added on August 19, 2018
Last Updated on August 19, 2018
Tags: false hopes, heartbreak

Author

RC
RC