A Change In Me

A Change In Me

A Story by Rebecca

It was an ordinary day. I never thought one simple word could do so much to a person, could do so much to Ivan; never to Ivan. He was sitting next to me when the class let out and the day was over. We were going to walk together, go play video games and make fun of news reporters like we do every other Friday at my house. Or at least like we use to, lately Ivan’s been disappearing, and he seems to refuse to explain why. But this time would be different, Ivan promised me there would be no interruptions, and there truly wouldn’t be, for tonight.. No parents all weekend! He could stay by my side all weekend, my guardian.

 

It was about 11pm and we just finished our third round of Duckhunt, level 9 of course, we never seem to get farther. For some reason this night felt better than some of the others.. We were full of laughter. Ivan took the last piece of pizza (again), that’s when it happened. That one, little word. That four letter word changed my opinion of everything.

 

‘Zzz, zzz, zzz.’

 

Ivan looked down, his phone was going off.

 

“It’s just a text message,” I remember saying, “Just check it tomorrow, it’s late.”


“I know,” he said in his calm, collected voice, “But let me check it anyways, just in case.”

 

I sighed and paused our game, fourth round would have to wait. He smoothly took his phone out of his pocket and flipped his razor open. His facial expression went from filled with happiness to dead serious. He jumped off the couch and looked at me with stone black eyes. His face lightened to a more glassy look, I think he realized I didn’t understand the situation.

 

“I need to go,” he said softly.

 

I’m getting so sick of hearing that. “But.. You had to leave last time too.”

 

His mind wasn’t going to change, no matter how hard I tried, “I know, I’m sorry Kate.”

 

I know he’s trying to make me feel better.

 

Please don’t leave me again.. “I understand. Go.”

 

He always has to leave me. “Please do, I love you.”

 

He was gone.

 

I held back the sore feeling in my eyes, as I do every week he leaves. It didn’t feel like I could hold it for long this time. That’s when I saw his phone on the ground. I went to pick it up off the floor when I saw the text message open.

 

There was no contact name.

‘Help.’

 

Suddenly a rush of worry came over my conscience. How can he keep leaving me like this and not say why?

 

I ran after him.

 

~~~~~~~

 

Today was the day, the day I would make everything up to her, Kate, the only girl to ever stick it through with me. I can be normal with her, and it makes me feel.. Liberated. But Stacy has needed my help lately, and Kate has become suspicious of me. I hope not too severely, she is my best friend. This is why I hold this horrible secret.. Curse.. From her. I can’t lose her, and if she knew the real me, the really real me, she would.

 

We had just gotten to level 9 in Duckhunt when my stupid phone started buzzing. “It’s just a text message. Just check it tomorrow, it’s late.” Oh, how I want to, but I could hear Stacy scolding in my mind, so I decided to just make sure it was a nothing message.

Damnit, just my luck. It doesn’t surprise me that Stacy needs my help again, but I know I’m breaking Kate. I turned and realized she was staring at me, almost.. Afraid. Oh no, I was glaring.. Wasn’t I?

 

“I need to go.” I tried to remain composed.

 

She gave me that look of disappointment that I’ve come to know lately, “But.. You had to leave last time, too.”

 

I so badly wish I could stay with her, “I know, I’m sorry, Kate.”

 

She hates me now. “I understand. Go.”

 

I wish you knew I was trying to protect you. “Please do. I love you.”

 

I ran out of her house and to my car, I know exactly where Stacy is. The sooner this is over with, the better.

 

~~~~~~~

 

Ivan pulled up into an empty parking lot, at least, what seemed empty. Ivan knew better. “Stacy!”

 

“Right here.” She always tried to surprise people from nowhere.

 

Ivan looked frustrated, “You promised not to call me out this weekend. You know I wanted the time without these stupid distractions.”

 

Stacy rolled her eyes, clearly just as temperamental, “Maybe so, but you know I don’t control what David does, OR when he does it.”

 

A large amount of laughter was heard from the other side of the parking lot. David had his glorious villain’s smile, there was no need for words. David jumped in the air and transformed into his wolf-like figure.

 

‘Let’s go, Brother.’

 

~~~~~~~

 

Kate could see the skid marks from Ivan’s car as she followed him on her motor scooter. He surprisingly hadn’t gone very far, as his tracks stopped just outside the old park’s parking lot. She looked over and saw his car at the curb.

 

“How strange,” She whispered, “Why wouldn’t he just park in the parking lot?”

 

As she began to walk into the lot, she saw a small group of people in the center. Kate could clearly recognize Ivan’s leather jacket. She stood still at the entrance, staring.

 

~~~~~~~

 

Ivan proceeded to jump in the air, taking the same wolf-like form David had, but darker. Kate fell back from her own shock and dismay. ‘Ivan… What.. How..’

 

David and Ivan began to circle around each other. Stacy took a step back and noticed Kate’s form lying on the distant pavement. “If Ivan sees her, he’ll die,” She said to herself. Stacy than slickly slid back unnoticed as David finally jumped at Ivan, they began to tumble just as Stacy began to run towards Kate.

 

When Stacy reached Kate she helped her up, “Kate, you need to leave, NOW!”

 

Kate started to realize what was going on. ‘Why is Ivan’s sister here?’

 

“That’s not important.”

‘She heard me?’

“Kate, come on, NOW!!”

 

Stacy grabbed Kate’s hand and her scooter and got in her car. Too late, David threw Ivan just in the direction for him to see them running off.

 

‘No..’

 

Ivan managed to turn towards David, clearly furious now. He slashed David across the face, hard. The blood started to fall as he pushed David onto his back. David lost his form, Ivan, not in the mood for this, stepped out of his wolf figure.

 

“Get lost.”

 

~~~~~~~

 

Stacy dropped Kate off at her home immediately. She advised her to forget everything she had experienced that night.

 

Kate sat in the balcony, he legs were against her body and her arms wrapped around herself. She couldn’t get the strange course of events out of her head. Her sight was out at the city’s occasion night light and the bright full moon. She heard the glass door shut and felt a blanket fall on her shoulders.

 

“I’m sorry.” Ivan said.

 

Kate didn’t physically make a response, “Why didn’t you tell me?”

 

Ivan looked down, on himself, more than anything. “I .. I don’t know, I didn’t want to lose you, Kate.”

 

“Why do you think you would lose me?!” She turned around and snapped. “You’re my best friend! I’ve trusted you with everything! And you.. You..”

 

“I should’ve told you.”

“Ya, you really should have.”

 

Ivan tensed, “I don’t know what you want me to say Kate! I’m sorry I didn’t mention this because I didn’t want to chance losing one of the most important people in my life?!”

Kate froze.

 

“Look, maybe I should go..”

“No!” Kate jumped up, “I’m just not sure what to say either.”

 

Kate walked to the railing on the balcony and took a deep breath. Ivan walked up behind her and wrapped his arms around her waist.

 

“Ivan,” Her voice went low, “What.. What are you?”

 

Ivan’s grip tightened as he sighed, “I’m.. Different, Kate. Different.”

 

Kate smiled, “Different.. I like that.”

 

Ivan pulled Kate’s arms and turned her to face him, “Everyone’s different.”

 

“I’m different.” She smirked.

 

“Very.” He grinned.

 

“So.. How about that next round of Duckhunt?”

Ivan laughed and kissed her cheek, “I wouldn’t have it any other way. Even at… 4am.”

 

Kate laughed and ran inside.

 

Ivan began to follow her and looked back at the moon that was again starting to set for another day. “I’ll make it up to you, Kate.”

© 2010 Rebecca


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

137 Views
Added on May 1, 2010
Last Updated on May 1, 2010

Author

Rebecca
Rebecca

CA



About
Not just a story. more..

Writing
First First

A Poem by Rebecca


A Child A Child

A Poem by Rebecca


Broken Glass Broken Glass

A Poem by Rebecca