Recollection

Recollection

A Story by Rebecca

It was then that I found myself alone. As if a deep grey cloud had made its way over me, through me. I can’t say I felt sad or what we know as being alone and dysfunctional, but something in me felt a type of emptiness. I simply felt void.

Surrounded by people who claim to love me, I took a last puff of my cigarette. Sometimes I wonder what friendship or love is. Are you supposed to feel complete happiness, peace and tranquility?

Too many people take things at face value. I reeked of the fumes I’d just inhaled; third of the night.  I threw the remains of my smoke to the ground and watch the sun finally set.  At this moment, my only friend was that beautiful sun. But alas, even it was leaving me.

Strange enough my phone did not ring once through my somber hour. Maybe they knew how I felt? Some things are not best to wonder, I suppose.

I drove to the bridge; a place I use to share, but no longer did. It was him I thought of, my best friend. His face has been dimming in my memory lately, but not tonight. Tonight I had no one but him and the sun. He was always such a bright, happy figure. For that reason, the sun will always retain his picture.

Should I completely forget his image, I will always have the sun to watch shine with light, just like the end of my burning cigarette.

But at this moment, I am in the dark, starring into the direction the sun once was. I climbed onto the railing of the bridge and lit another stick. Funny to think that one step in either direction would drastically change the course of my life. I knew better though.

I jump back onto the ground and threw the cigarette into the lake below; just as he had done. But not tonight, I will not join him just yet.

I walked back to the car, for at this moment I did not need the sun. I could recall him perfectly.

© 2012 Rebecca


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This story leaves one to thinkof how many feel when someone special in your life is gone. I like the character's attitude of questioning the norm and deciding not to follow after his/her friend. Keep up the god work.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

108 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on March 12, 2012
Last Updated on March 12, 2012

Author

Rebecca
Rebecca

CA



About
Not just a story. more..

Writing
First First

A Poem by Rebecca


A Child A Child

A Poem by Rebecca


Broken Glass Broken Glass

A Poem by Rebecca