The Nerd

The Nerd

A Story by redbirdfan524
"

This story is about a nerd and his awkward life.

"

         16 year old Eustice Maxwell is the definition of your stereotypical nerd. Nothing about him says otherwise. To start, he has huge coke-bottle glasses that cover half of his acne-ridden face. The hair on his head is meticulous-fairly long, parted and gelled to one side. Everyday he wears a beige, button-up, collared shirt with a red bow tie. In the front pocket of this ugly shirt lie two pens and a pencil, in the same spot and order they are every day. On his wrist is a large watch which tells time, the date, the temperature, and the barometric pressure. He wears suspenders with a belt that is only there for “looks”. His pants are too short and reveal his tube socks with extend up to his knees. In a special holder on Eustice’s pants lies a box with many epee pens for the many different things he’s allergic too. His shoes are a plain, brown, orthopedic brand which help with his bad case of degout. He is always carrying a calculator to try and discover mathematical proofs. When he laughs, he snorts like a pig. His posture is poor and he stoops over when he walks. He is socially awkward. When girls ask him even the simplest questions, his throat dries up, he starts sweating profusely, and no words come out of his mouth. 

 
        There is a school dance coming up at Eustice’s school. Normally, he’d stay home and play World of Warcraft. But his mom, who’s sick of Eustice not going out and making friends, forces him to go to this one dance and give it a chance. After hours of begging, Eustice agrees. It’s a casual dance which means most kids will be wearing nice shorts or pants and a nice, possibly collared, shirt. But Eustice had no different idea it was a casual dance. He shoes up in a full out tuxedo-long dress shirt, dress pants, shoes, dress socks, a sport coat, and to top it off, a red bow tie with yellow polka dots. His hair is slicked back; a different look compared to his parted hair. Right as he walks in the gym, wear the dance is being held, he is laughed at. Some are snickering to themselves, others out loud for all to hear. Eustice, already embarrassed, hid in the corner next to the punch bowl. 
 
        About halfway through the dance, Eustice decided he would go home. Then, all of a sudden, a girl walked in who he had never seen before. She had long, flowing blonde hair and icy blue eyes that pierced his heart. She was fairly tall and had an hour glass figure. If only he weren’t such a nerd, then he’d ask her out. He then thought up a plan. He would ask some of the cooler girls in school to give him a makeover over the weekend. So he went up to the three most popular girls in his grade and asked if, over the weekend, they’d change his look. They were surprisingly excited and agreed. So over the weekend they brought him to the mall. They bought him new clothes and shoes. They then went to one of the girl’s house and they changed his hair and gave him special cream for the horrific acne on his face. They ordered him contacts and then helped him hurdle the biggest obstacle of all…how to talk to girls. This took hours and hours but they think he finally nailed it. 
 
        On Monday, Eustice walked into school with a new look. His face was clear, his glasses were gone, he had on a regular t-shirt, his pants covered his ankles, and his shoes were cool. He went into school to find out the girls name and grade. Once he found out he went to find her. It turns out she was at his lunch. Her name was Gloria Johnson. He went up to her and asked her to the movies. She looked at him blankly and flatly said “No”. Although Eustice had been rejected, his looks had improved and he had gained new found confidence. Eustice was a new man and was about to begin a new chapter in his life.   
        
        
 

© 2009 redbirdfan524


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Definitely awkward. I felt so sorry for the poor guy. I wonder, though, if his initial description is a bit too stereotypical. I don't think I've ever met anyone who fit all of those categories at once.
I did like the makeover idea, and especially how he didn't necessarily get what he wanted, but he was happy. Too often we see stories where all it takes is a little makeover, and he gets the girl and happiness all at once.
Altogether an interesting story to read, and I think you definitely accomplished what you intended.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

98 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on March 14, 2009

Author

redbirdfan524
redbirdfan524

springfield, MA



About
i LOVE writing especially poetry. i had just gotten an A+ in creative writing at my school more..

Writing